Re: [FSP] Massachusetts to vote on abolition of state taxes

  • revitaliser
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 9:04 PM
      > little or no cooperation or willingness to work with other lib
      > groups/candidates.

      Does the FSP show "willingness to work with lib groups"? The FSP
      Pledge still calls for members to support a society in which the
      sole role of civil government is the protection of citizens' life,
      liberty, and property.
    • Snyder, Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4 7:45 AM
        While I have no first hand knowledge to directly refute any of Elizabeth's
        below comments, I will respond briefly to note:

        1. The "most corrupt LP org" accusation is a strong one, and I would think
        should be accompanied by evidence or explanation.

        2. How do you define "success"? If it's on the ballot it's got a shot. And
        simply being on the ballot, with any associated publicity, took
        work/organization and is a good thing.

        3. Regarding the "publicity hound" and "cooperation" comment...hell, it's
        all relative.

        4. Regarding CLT, I suspect there's more there than meets the eye.

        I'm not from MA, but there's no denying the accomplishments of Howell/Cloud
        in spreading libertarianism. 12% in a senate race, getting the tax measure
        on the ballot, and outreach via media all make me feel good, at this moment,
        that they're around.

        Gary
        --------------------------
        Sent from my Comstar Wireless Handheld (www.comstarinteractive.com)

        From: revitaliser <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        To: freestateproject@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:00:41 -0000

        On November 5, Massachusetts will vote on the elimination of the
        state's current 5% tax on wages, the 5% tax on interest and
        dividends, and the up-to-12% tax on capital gains. If passed, the
        initiative will save the average Massachusetts taxpayer $3,000 a
        year.

        Carla Howell, the head of the Committee for Small Government (CSG)
        and the Libertarian Party's candidate for governor, said that "for
        the first time in Libertarian Party history, a plank of our
        Libertarian platform will go directly before the voters". In
        response to criticism that the initiative would cripple state
        government, Carla said it will "merely downsize state government
        spending from today's bloated $23 billion to a more modest $14
        billion." Carla Howell said she will promote the initiative in her
        campaign for governor, and Michael Cloud will tout it in his
        campaign for U.S. Senate.

        Carla Howell and Michael Cloud will write the argument in favor of
        the Small Government Act for the Massachusetts Voter's Guide, which
        will be mailed to the state's 4 million registered voters. Hundreds
        of volunteers will distribute 1 million copies of a "9 Common Sense
        Reasons to End the Income Tax" flier to voters, and hundreds of
        thousands of dollars worth of radio and TV ads will promote the
        Small Government Act, focusing on the economic benefits of the
        initiative.

        For more details, see:
        http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0208/masstax.html

        -- Elizabeth M. McKinstry
        Organizing member of the Free State Project
        "Liberty in Our Lifetime"
        http://www.freestateproject.com

        This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to change without notice.