Re: TLE Article

  • simplulo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2002
      >[Voting] is a tool of the people, not the state.

      Voting is a tool of the (super)majority against the minority. If
      your constitution allows voting to achieve legal plunder, it will
      happen. Speaking of which, has anybody actually gotten through "The
      Calculus of Consent" by James Buchanan and Gordon Tullock? I brought
      it with me here to Finland, but I keep going to bars instead of
      reading. Anyway, voting has a *lot* of problems (we had a discussion
      about this in the FSP's early days, which is how we picked such a
      strange voting method to choose the destination state), and the essay
      author is right to be suspicious of it. But he's still a weenie. He
      could have first checked his facts or discussed his objections with
      us before making such accusations; instead, he's smirched our
      reputation and his own.

      >Methinks the author is one of *those* kind of libertarians

      While my sympathies lie with the theoreticians (at the center of a
      movement, you better have your theoretical ducks in row, and it makes
      sense to pay attention to these kinds of details), I despise those
      who not only do not get off their sophist asses, but actively work
      *against* do.

      That is what attracted me to the FSP: while everyone is strongly
      libertarian, they have a good-humored tolerance for the variations
      that you are bound to find among 20 of us, let alone 20,000....

      --- In freestateproject@y..., "manwrshipr" <freethinker1of1@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hmmm, last I heard, voting was not a means of "supporting the
      state"
      > but a non-violent means of overthrowing those who ran it in favor
      of
      > those who at least claim to be more receptive to the people's
      > wishes. It is a tool of the people, not the state. And does this
      guy
      > really think our free state would be something like, "Okay, you're
      > free to do any non-coercive thing you want, whether you want to or
      > not?"
      >
      > Methinks the author is one of *those* kind of libertarians who,
      like
      > many Objectivists, are perfectly happy to sit around and meditate
      and
      > theorize on what a free society would be like, but balk at the
      > suggestion that they get off their sophist asses and do something
      > about it. What attracted me to FSP was that it is the most
      practical
      > means I've seen suggested on how to create a free society within
      our
      > lifetimes, certainly more practical than say, building a whopping
      big
      > concrete island in the middle of the ocean and expecting the
      billions
      > of dollars it would take to magically drop out of the sky, or
      > expecting that, if we just theorize and proselytize about it long
      > enough, Galt's Gulch or Laissez-Fairia will pop Athena-like out of
      > everyone's skulls.
    • Mary Lou Seymour
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2002
        Ifeminists.com picked yours truly as their Ifeminist of the month for
        July...I, of course, got in a plug for FSP:-)

        See my picture (the ONLY recent one in existence:-) and bio at
        http://www.ifeminists.com/homepage/

        ML
      • James B. Sheridan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 2, 2002
          Those who cannot paint, become art critics.

          =====
          Will someone please invent a decent alternative fuel, so that we can tell the Middle East to go screw?

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Daniel Weiner
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 2, 2002
            Congrats, ML. But then, we *know* you are hot stuff!
            Right, gang? And I gotta tell you, ML, you are much
            better looking than your own comments led me to
            expect.

            Dan

            --- Mary Lou Seymour <libertymls@...>
            wrote:
            > Ifeminists.com picked yours truly as their Ifeminist
            > of the month for
            > July...I, of course, got in a plug for FSP:-)
            >
            > See my picture (the ONLY recent one in existence:-)
            > and bio at
            > http://www.ifeminists.com/homepage/
            >
            > ML

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • elizabeth_freestate
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2002
              Jason is working on a response to the TLE article, but anyone
              who wants to write a letter to the editor of TLE is encouraged:

              EditorTLE@...

              --- In freestateproject@y..., "James B. Sheridan"
              <jimmersheridan@y...> wrote:
              > Those who cannot paint, become art critics.
              >
              > =====
              > Will someone please invent a decent alternative fuel, so that
              we can tell the Middle East to go screw?

              > http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Suggesto
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2002
                --- In freestateproject@y..., simplulo <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > >[Voting] is a tool of the people, not the state.
                >
                > That is what attracted me to the FSP: while everyone is strongly
                > libertarian, they have a good-humored tolerance for the variations
                > that you are bound to find among 20 of us, let alone 20,000....

                Steve, you may or may not know just how *radical* that statement
                above *is*! One of the things that has struck me in the 30 years or so
                I've been a libertarian is how *little* "good-humored tolerance" there
                is among them. Everyone seems bound and determined to force everyone
                else to "toe the line" as to their particular ideological proclivity.
                Now if good-humored tolerance is going to be a major characteristic of
                the FSP group, I'd suggest it will be even more successful than most
                would expect. In fact, I suggest that GOOD-HUMORED TOLERANCE should be
                one of the watch-words of the FSP. "Freedom in our lifetime is our
                goal...good-humored tolerance is our byword."