Re: TLE Article

  • simplulo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2002
      Excellent assessment.

      > I suggest everyone take a look at this article and use it as a
      > learning tool. I have no idea why the author views us as wannabe
      > tyrants, but perhaps there is something we can learn regarding how
      we
      > describe our project and our goals.

      Excellent advice. In describing ourselves, we need to meet people
      more than halfway, removing doubt about our goals. The catch is that
      the more you write, the more opportunity there is to disagree over
      fine points. But it was just this sort of concern that led me to
      propose the minor wording changes to remove ammunition of nitpickers;
      little did I imagine that another one would pop up so soon.

      >I feel perfectly justified in voting if the intent is not to
      >establish ourselves as the powerful, but to make sure no one has
      that power.

      Is using voting to *reduce* the initiation of force (e.g. to repeal
      taxes, regulations, and vice prohibitions) not akin to retaliatory
      force in defense of rights? That is, is there legitimate voting as
      well as unjust voting, as there is legitimate force as well as unjust
      force?

      If you use force to aid a woman being gang-raped, that is anti-
      democratic but just. If we use voting to aid the existing
      libertarians of the chosen state, is that not also just?

      --- In freestateproject@y..., themistocles2002 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Just want to give everyone a heads up on an article in the latest
      TLE:
      > http://webleyweb.com/tle/libe180-20020701-07.html
      >
      > It would appear that the author's main criticism is in our desire
      > to "play the game," to use voting as a means of achieving our
      goals,
      > which only validates the system. Okay, fine, I understand his
      > philosophical objection, even agree with it to an extent, but I
      feel
      > perfectly justified in voting if the intent is not to establish
      > ourselves as the powerful, but to make sure no one has that power.
      > This is obviously where we and the author see our project
      > differently, as he accuses us of wanting "to gain money and power
      > force their agenda down the throats of unwilling people" and "to
      use
      > the force of government to rule." He goes on to make a great many
      > other assertions which indicate a gross misunderstanding of what it
      > is we intend to do.
      >
      > I suggest everyone take a look at this article and use it as a
      > learning tool. I have no idea why the author views us as wannabe
      > tyrants, but perhaps there is something we can learn regarding how
      we
      > describe our project and our goals.
    • manwrshipr
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hmmm, last I heard, voting was not a means of "supporting the state"
        but a non-violent means of overthrowing those who ran it in favor of
        those who at least claim to be more receptive to the people's
        wishes. It is a tool of the people, not the state. And does this guy
        really think our free state would be something like, "Okay, you're
        free to do any non-coercive thing you want, whether you want to or
        not?"

        Methinks the author is one of *those* kind of libertarians who, like
        many Objectivists, are perfectly happy to sit around and meditate and
        theorize on what a free society would be like, but balk at the
        suggestion that they get off their sophist asses and do something
        about it. What attracted me to FSP was that it is the most practical
        means I've seen suggested on how to create a free society within our
        lifetimes, certainly more practical than say, building a whopping big
        concrete island in the middle of the ocean and expecting the billions
        of dollars it would take to magically drop out of the sky, or
        expecting that, if we just theorize and proselytize about it long
        enough, Galt's Gulch or Laissez-Fairia will pop Athena-like out of
        everyone's skulls.
      • simplulo
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2002
          >[Voting] is a tool of the people, not the state.

          Voting is a tool of the (super)majority against the minority. If
          your constitution allows voting to achieve legal plunder, it will
          happen. Speaking of which, has anybody actually gotten through "The
          Calculus of Consent" by James Buchanan and Gordon Tullock? I brought
          it with me here to Finland, but I keep going to bars instead of
          reading. Anyway, voting has a *lot* of problems (we had a discussion
          about this in the FSP's early days, which is how we picked such a
          strange voting method to choose the destination state), and the essay
          author is right to be suspicious of it. But he's still a weenie. He
          could have first checked his facts or discussed his objections with
          us before making such accusations; instead, he's smirched our
          reputation and his own.

          >Methinks the author is one of *those* kind of libertarians

          While my sympathies lie with the theoreticians (at the center of a
          movement, you better have your theoretical ducks in row, and it makes
          sense to pay attention to these kinds of details), I despise those
          who not only do not get off their sophist asses, but actively work
          *against* do.

          That is what attracted me to the FSP: while everyone is strongly
          libertarian, they have a good-humored tolerance for the variations
          that you are bound to find among 20 of us, let alone 20,000....

          --- In freestateproject@y..., "manwrshipr" <freethinker1of1@h...>
          wrote:
          > Hmmm, last I heard, voting was not a means of "supporting the
          state"
          > but a non-violent means of overthrowing those who ran it in favor
          of
          > those who at least claim to be more receptive to the people's
          > wishes. It is a tool of the people, not the state. And does this
          guy
          > really think our free state would be something like, "Okay, you're
          > free to do any non-coercive thing you want, whether you want to or
          > not?"
          >
          > Methinks the author is one of *those* kind of libertarians who,
          like
          > many Objectivists, are perfectly happy to sit around and meditate
          and
          > theorize on what a free society would be like, but balk at the
          > suggestion that they get off their sophist asses and do something
          > about it. What attracted me to FSP was that it is the most
          practical
          > means I've seen suggested on how to create a free society within
          our
          > lifetimes, certainly more practical than say, building a whopping
          big
          > concrete island in the middle of the ocean and expecting the
          billions
          > of dollars it would take to magically drop out of the sky, or
          > expecting that, if we just theorize and proselytize about it long
          > enough, Galt's Gulch or Laissez-Fairia will pop Athena-like out of
          > everyone's skulls.
        • Mary Lou Seymour
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2002
            Ifeminists.com picked yours truly as their Ifeminist of the month for
            July...I, of course, got in a plug for FSP:-)

            See my picture (the ONLY recent one in existence:-) and bio at
            http://www.ifeminists.com/homepage/

            ML
          • James B. Sheridan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2002
              Those who cannot paint, become art critics.

              =====
              Will someone please invent a decent alternative fuel, so that we can tell the Middle East to go screw?

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Daniel Weiner
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 2, 2002
                Congrats, ML. But then, we *know* you are hot stuff!
                Right, gang? And I gotta tell you, ML, you are much
                better looking than your own comments led me to
                expect.

                Dan

                --- Mary Lou Seymour <libertymls@...>
                wrote:
                > Ifeminists.com picked yours truly as their Ifeminist
                > of the month for
                > July...I, of course, got in a plug for FSP:-)
                >
                > See my picture (the ONLY recent one in existence:-)
                > and bio at
                > http://www.ifeminists.com/homepage/
                >
                > ML

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • elizabeth_freestate
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2002
                  Jason is working on a response to the TLE article, but anyone
                  who wants to write a letter to the editor of TLE is encouraged:

                  EditorTLE@...

                  --- In freestateproject@y..., "James B. Sheridan"
                  <jimmersheridan@y...> wrote:
                  > Those who cannot paint, become art critics.
                  >
                  > =====
                  > Will someone please invent a decent alternative fuel, so that
                  we can tell the Middle East to go screw?

                  > http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • Suggesto
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2002
                    --- In freestateproject@y..., simplulo <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > >[Voting] is a tool of the people, not the state.
                    >
                    > That is what attracted me to the FSP: while everyone is strongly
                    > libertarian, they have a good-humored tolerance for the variations
                    > that you are bound to find among 20 of us, let alone 20,000....

                    Steve, you may or may not know just how *radical* that statement
                    above *is*! One of the things that has struck me in the 30 years or so
                    I've been a libertarian is how *little* "good-humored tolerance" there
                    is among them. Everyone seems bound and determined to force everyone
                    else to "toe the line" as to their particular ideological proclivity.
                    Now if good-humored tolerance is going to be a major characteristic of
                    the FSP group, I'd suggest it will be even more successful than most
                    would expect. In fact, I suggest that GOOD-HUMORED TOLERANCE should be
                    one of the watch-words of the FSP. "Freedom in our lifetime is our
                    goal...good-humored tolerance is our byword."