Help on "Morning in the free State"

  • Philip Denisch (MTD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2002
      I have written a... thing. I would like to have some others (everyone?) look
      at it and give me some advice. Since I have written it to promote the FSP, I
      think it important to capture the message and potential of the group's
      goals. Any advice on structure or content that may make it more likely to be
      picked up by other web sites should be the focus. I'll post it to the files
      section on the Yahoo! Groups freestateproject site. Some of my larger
      concerns that I'd like the "peer-review" on would be:

      (This is only an initial rough draft, so please be kind :)

      - how's the length of the article, I think it may be too long.

      - I used the past tense, to give it a sense of "has happened" (giving us
      now, a hope for the future, etc) - does that "work"? (Does it make it seem
      like the free state is no longer active?)

      - Are too many topics/issues covered, should each topic be a separate
      article?

      - I tried to present a general libertarian viewpoint on the topics
      mentioned, if I'm way off, or if a better way of phrasing something is
      obvious, let me know.

      - I like the "Sandals or Jackboots" line, maybe someone else could write an
      article about the choice of freedom vs. security and what it would be like
      in the free state

      - How is the "other side of the river" euphemism for non-libertarian types?
      Could we use that more generally to highlight the differences between the
      libertarians (classic liberal) and the fascist?

      - Is the general attitude of it friendly and inclusive? My understanding of
      the FSP is that we are trying to get there, what we do once we get there is
      not covered by the FSP. We can't un-vote any laws until we get there. ("We"
      being classical liberals -- let me know if I'm working with a different
      group, this isn't the Flat Earth Society, is it?)

      This is a work of fiction, I think we also need, and possibly need more,
      articles of fact. An article based on data showing how a Free State could be
      better, would probably go a lot further to recruiting new members than some
      "fluff" piece. There are many touch-points we could hit, trying to compare
      current state's freedom rankings with some sort of livability index would be
      a great start. Anyway, let me know what you think about "Morning in the Free
      State".