Re: Regions

  • alecmuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 1:42 AM
      > Interesting. If a vote for Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana were looked
      as a vote for "Rockies" and a vote for New Hampshire, Vermont, and
      Rhode Island were looked at as a vote for "New England" then it would
      look like this?

      > New England - 35%
      > Rockies - 31%
      > Alaska - 9%
      > Delaware - 8%
      > Hawaii - 6%
      > North Dakota - 3%
      > South Dakota - 2%
      >
      > Does anyone think it might make sense to select a region before
      > selecting the state within it?

      This idea looks attractive to me, but I think that the cumulative
      count has the potential to be even more accurate if people do it
      honestly.

      For instance, if a person is considering the Rockies and New England
      as their top pick but they think the FSP will have a higher chance of
      success in the Rockies than New England, then they might vote:

      WY 3
      ID 3
      MT 2

      NH 1
      VT 1
      RI 0

      The idea is that they can divide up their votes between regions as
      well as between states. If they consider all of the Rocky states
      together and all of the New England states together, then they can
      divide their votes to reflect this.

      Problems only arise when people vote in a way that does not reflect
      their true preferences. For instance if I prefered NH slightly over
      WY, but gave all 10 votes to NH because I want NH to win, information
      would be lost. If I've divided my votes this way and NH falls by the
      wayside, no one will know that I prefer WY over DE if they happen to
      be the two front runners.

      As long as we all understand that we can divide votes however we want
      and that it's to our advantage to do it as accurately as possible, I
      think a straight cumulative count will give us the best consensus.

      Alec