Fwd: Most Likely to Secede - new book from Chelsea Green Publishing

  • Secession.net/Carol Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 5:06 PM
      **

      *Most Likely to Secede
      <http://media.chelseagreen.com/most-likely-to-secede/> is now available
      from Chelsea Green Publishing. Endorsements are below, and please
      contact me any time if you have interest in ordering this book for your
      organization. Chelsea Green offers significant discounts for retailer
      and non-retail bulk purchases.*

      **

      http://media.chelseagreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/MLSCover-200x300.jpg

      *Most Likely to Secede: What the Vermont Independence Movement Can Teach
      Us about Reclaiming Community and Creating a Human Scale Vision for the
      21^st Century <http://media.chelseagreen.com/most-likely-to-secede/>*

      *$19.95 Paperback -- 256 pages -- Edited by Ron Miller and Rob Williams
      -- Vermont Independence Press -- ISBN 9781603585026*

      *Ron Miller* spent nearly thirty years as an educational scholar and
      activist, known internationally as a founder of the holistic education
      movement. He authored or edited nine books, established two journals,
      co-founded an alternative school, and was on the faculty of the
      progressive Education program at Goddard College. In 2011 he retired to
      run an independent bookstore in Woodstock, Vermont. He has served on the
      Vermont Commons editorial board since 2007.

      *Rob Williams* is the publisher of /Vermont Commons: Voices of
      Independence/. He is a Vermont-based professor, farmer, musician,
      historian and journalist who teaches F2F and online courses at a wide
      variety of colleges, plays pholk phunk music with the Phineas Gage
      Project, and raises grass-fed yaks in the Mad River Valley.

      "At the heart of the current situation in the United States today is the
      need to downscale and re-localize everyday life, and that naturally
      calls into question how we manage our affairs. This excellent anthology
      voices the arguments around the possible political breakup of the U.S.
      nation-state."
      ---*James Howard Kunstler*, author of /The Long Emergency: Surviving the
      Converging Catastrophes of the 21st Century/

      "Imagine peace. Secure civil liberties. Family farms. Healthy
      communities in which each person matters. The flourishing of local arts,
      music, and letters. Political, cultural, and economic decisions made by
      neighbors rather than distant rulers. Independence. That's the
      inspiriting vision of these Vermonters. Read them, engage them, argue
      with them. You just might remember---or learn---what participatory
      democracy is all about."
      ---*Bill Kauffman*, author, /Ain't My America/ and /Bye Bye, Miss
      American Empire/

      "Imagination and hypothesis at once. Leavened by time and circumstance,
      an eclectic band of Vermont democrats has at last provided America with
      a seedbed of hope. To wit: the increasingly vulgar and theoretically
      challenged national left/right dichotomy can be replaced by a new
      American paradigm whereby liberty and community are once again united
      and the Founders' dreams reborn."
      ---*Frank Bryan*, John G. McCullough Professor of Political Science at
      the University of Vermont, and author of numerous books on Vermont
      history and town meeting

      "It's clear to anyone with a pulse that we're in terrible trouble: as
      citizens who need a polity, as humans who need a community, as animals
      who need a home. For the disillusioned, the dispirited, and the
      despairing: take heart! A seed of resistance is taking root in a place
      called Vermont. For the ready, the willing, and the able: take aim---the
      Gods of Empire can be defeated. /Most Likely to Secede/, with its
      intellectual clarity, its moral authority, and its quiet, fierce loyalty
      to people and place, will show you how."
      ---*Lierre Keith*, co-author of /Deep Green Resistance/

      "As our complex society unravels and fragments, the voices and ideas of
      the Vermont secessionists, who seek to carve out small sustainable
      pockets amid the chaos, will be increasingly important as we seek new
      paradigms for survival."
      ---*Chris Hedges*, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and co-author with
      Joe Sacco of /Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt/

      "Madison and Jefferson would be proud of this book. Pray read it now.
      Secede is illumination in the age of unreason, a 21st century /Common
      Sense/, a crystal clear analysis of why size matters, and why we must
      create human(e) institutions to live and work within. Immensity is
      crushing us, whether the whopper is a multinational corporation, fast
      food, money center banks, the federal government, modern medicine, the
      military/industrial complex, the two political parties, or the media.
      The tyranny of concentrated power is tearing our land, culture and
      communities apart. If we restore autonomy on local and bioregional
      levels, the genius, gumption and generosity of American people can
      breathe and flourish again."
      ---*Paul Hawken*, author of /Blessed Unrest/ and /The Ecology of Commerce/

      "Steeped in Jeffersonian decentralism, pro-democracy sentiment, and love
      of land, the mad farmers, sheep growers, and legal philosophers of
      Vermont have forged themselves into a force of truth. In /Most Likely to
      Secede/, they bring together their finest---knitting organic farming and
      yogurt-making with historical/economic argument for secession that goes
      beyond current concepts of 'Left' and 'Right.' Whether you're from
      Rutland---or Alaska, Scotland, Quebec, the Congo, Kashmir, or the
      Iroquois Nation---read this empire-breaking book. It'll get you going."
      ---*Chellis Glendinning*, Ph.D., psychotherapist , author of /Off the
      Map: An Expedition Deep into Empire and the Global Economy /

      **

      *Thank you,*

      **

      *Darrell Koerner*