Re: [FSP] "What's the Free State Project?" "What's free market economics?"

  • Dan McGuire
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2011
      Those are good suggestions. My favorite is *Economics in One
      Lesson<http://www.fee.org/library/books/economics-in-one-lesson/>
      * by Henry Hazlitt. It starts with one simple idea, the broken window
      fallacy (seen vs. unseen consequences), and builds it up step-by-step to
      explain why things like unions, the minimum wage and protectionism don't
      work.

      If you prefer something shorter, besides *I, Pencil*, any column by Thomas
      Sowell <http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell1.asp> or Walter
      Williams <http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/williams1.asp> is good. The
      first thing that got me started on this path was reading a Thomas Sowell
      column in the newspaper maybe ten years ago.

      Dan

      On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Ron Helwig <ronhelwig@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > http://mises.org/daily/3801 (Tom Smith and His Incredible Bread Machine)
      > and
      > perhaps Bastiat's "The Law" might be good starters. "I, Pencil" is also a
      > good short read: http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/i-pencil/
      >
      > On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Tim Condon <tim@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      >

      > > I had a discussion earlier today with a doctor; he saw my Free State
      > > Project
      > > T-shirt (it pays to advertise, everyone), and asked what the FSP was. I
      > > asked him what he was politically. He said "I took a test once, on a
      > chart,
      > > and it said I was a libertarian." I explained to him all about the Free
      > > State Project, and how to find out about it on the Internet.
      > >
      > > And then I told him about free market economics, and Hayek and Friedman
      > and
      > > Mises. He said "that sounds like some pretty heavy reading in economics
      > (it
      > > is), is there any book I could read that would actually explain it to me
      > > that would be *fun* to read?"
      > >
      > > I'm thinking either *The Spirit of Enterprise* or *Wealth and Poverty* by
      > > George Gilder. Even relatively popular books for public consumer---such
      > as
      > > Hazlitt's *Economics in One Lesson* or Friedman's *Free to Choose, *are
      > > relatively tough reads to get through.
      > >
      > > So I'm asking for recommendations! What is the best "easy-to-read" and
      > > "enjoyable-to-read" book that explains free market economics, i.e. what
      > we
      > > all believe in? Email me back! Let me know so I can pass it on to my
      > > nascent
      > > libertarian friend(s).
      > >
      > > Timothy Condon, Esq.
      > > 12 Liberty Lane, Grafton, NH 03240
      > > Cell 813-453-2379
      > > Ofc.: 307 S. Fielding Ave., Suite #2
      > > Tampa, Florida 33606
      > > 813-251-2626 Fax 813-200-3395
      > > Email: tim@...

    • Seth Cohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2011
        If you want one 'fun' book, suitable as a good intro, try:

        How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes by Peter Schiff...
        http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/047052670X/ref=nosim/fuzzyandfurry-20

        podcast about it with Lew Rockwell here:
        http://www.lewrockwell.com/lewrockwell-show/2010/04/22/146-peter-schiff-how-an-economy-grows-and-why-it-crashes/

        based on these older tales by his dad Irwin Schiff:
        http://freedom-school.com/money/how-an-economy-grows.pdf
        http://www.constitution.org/tax/us-ic/schiff/moltz.pdf