FSP News - February 2011

  • PhilB
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2011
      FSP News - February 2011 PorcFest 2011
      Registration Sign up for Porcfest 2011
      <http://registration.porcfest.com/> . Use coupon code FSPNEWS to save
      20% off of registration, flags, group photo and t-shirts! Check out the
      special edition Newsletter
      <http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=12ed61e871bc3aa666120d97c&id=75f4c4\
      f192> on Registration <http://registration.porcfest.com/> for more
      details.
      Connections Lot's of cool things happening all over the web about
      Porcfest 2011 - the Porcupine Freedom Festival
      <http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124983370878268> . Are you
      keeping up? Check out this month's issue of the Happy Porcupine
      <http://freestateproject.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=12ed61e871bc3aa\
      666120d97c&id=989a19e4c4> , Porcfest is for Lovers!
      <http://news.porcfest.com/> You can follow us on Twitter
      <http://twitter.com/porcfest> or fan us on Facebook
      <http://www.facebook.com/PorcFest> where we encourage everyone to
      retweet, share and post frequently about Porcfest so we can keep
      spreading the news!
      Donate You can donate on our Registration
      <http://registration.porcfest.com/> page by selecting a quantity for
      each dollar you want to donate. Feel free to email sponsor@...
      <mailto:sponsor@...> for a list of sponsorship opportunities
      at this year's event. There is so much to be a part of, please help us
      MAKE IT HOT <http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=501528167972> ,
      even if it is just a $1! Sovereign Curtis <mailto:Curtis@...>
      is eagerly awaiting your inquiries for sponsorships and donations.

      Hats off to Pete Eyre, Ademo Freeman, and New Hampshire ActivistsBy
      Stephanie Murphy
      On January 24th, well known freedom activist Pete Eyre of Liberty on
      Tour <http://www.libertyontour.com/> and Copblock.org
      <http://www.copblock.org/> was arrested for wearing a hat. Yes, really.

      Pete was in court on an unusually cold morning in Keene, NH to support
      his friends — two other activists were facing some spurious
      "trespassing" charges which stemmed from walking around the
      Cheshire County Jail with signs to support yet another unjustly jailed
      activist. Pete was sitting quietly in the courtroom before the judge had
      even entered. A bailiff approached Pete and told him to remove the hat
      he was wearing. Pete began to ask questions, but he didn't have time
      to say much before three men tackled and handcuffed him. Pete did not
      resist, but was subjected to some very heavy handed treatment
      nonetheless — all for sitting quietly and peacefully in court while
      wearing a hat.

      Pete was jailed for four days when he initially did not identify himself
      after the arrest. Here's a video
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KK1wk7_QY> of what happened.

      This news release
      <http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Failure-to-Doff-Hat-Lands-Man-prnews-3613\
      493008.html> has more details, but it sums up the situation pretty
      well: "When a gesture of respect becomes mandatory, it becomes an
      act of submission."

      Unfortunately, Pete's business partner Ademo Freeman (Adam Mueller)
      was jailed for 60 days <http://www.copblock.org/1748/freeademo/> for
      speaking out in court during Pete's arraignment. Ademo is currently
      still in jail in Keene, NH. You can write to him via Mail To Jail
      <http://mail-to-jail.com/> , or visit Copblock.org/freeAdemo to get
      involved in helping him out.

      The response to these two men's arrests from the liberty community
      has been incredibly supportive. Multiple activists obtained video of
      both Pete's arrest and Ademo's arrests. The videos were posted
      online immediately. FreePete.org <http://freepete.org/> was launched
      almost instantly after Pete's arrest, FSP friendly attorneys quickly
      stepped up to help on the legal front, and activists waged a PR campaign
      in support of the two men (including an AP press release and a ). So
      many people called the Cheshire County Jail and courthouse on the day of
      Pete's arrest that their phone lines were shut down!

      If you're excited by the response of New Hampshire liberty activists
      to these unjust arrests, you may want to consider moving up your plans
      to get to New Hampshire! If you're inspired to stand up to
      tyrannical judges, come to New Hampshire, STAT! If you can't move
      right away, how about a visit to the 2011 Porcupine Freedom Festival
      <http://registration.porcfest.org/> ? But here's a fair warning:
      you'll be so impressed by the community here that you won't want
      to leave!
      On the Doffing of HatsBy Mike Ruff
      I know that folks have come to believe that the removal of hats in a
      courtroom is merely a gesture of respect. And chances are, that's all
      most folks mean when they do it. This is, however, not the origin of the
      practice, nor is it the reason it is practiced and enforced in courts
      today.

      The origin is as an act of submission. The act of removing one's hat is
      an attempt to make oneself seem smaller than the person to whom one is
      rendering the gesture. There are a number of other gestures based on the
      same intent, for example, bowing. The military salute is derived from
      the act of touching the cap, which was itself derived from the act of
      tipping the cap, which was derived from removal of the hat to
      demonstrate submission.

      These gestures of submission were often seen in societies in which there
      were strong and well-defined class divisions. Although the more dramatic
      of these gestures has largely disappeared from these societies, an
      astute observer can still see the signs of these divisions today –
      in the tone of voice, forms of address, and more subtle body language.

      Despite America having been (supposedly) established as a "classless"
      society, and despite the US Constitution forbidding titles of nobility
      (Article 1, section 9), the government has, especially in court, granted
      the form without the name. Judges require that, in addition to the
      powers granted them by the government, the general populace must grant
      them the gestures of submission formerly rendered to Feudal Lords; i.e.
      standing when they enter the room, removal of hats, addressing them as
      "Your Honor," etc. They wear robes which owe their origin to the robes
      worn by Feudal Lords, and sit in a raised position and have barriers to
      prevent the "regular folks" from approaching beyond the accepted
      distance. And, should a member of the general populace refuse to grant
      them these gestures of submission, the judge will order his enforcers to
      clap the individual in irons and imprison them for "Contempt of Court"
      (the latter day term for "lese majeste").

      Does anyone really believe that this farce is necessary to maintain
      order and decorum in a courtroom? Does anyone really believe that this
      sort of thing furthers the causes of Truth and Justice? Does anyone
      truly believe that this sort of thing is proper in a society that is
      supposed to be based on Equality Before the Law?

      Personally, I have always found people who demand these gestures of
      submission, and depend on them to prop up their authority, to be sad
      little people who do little to deserve respect, let alone submission.
      Salutes in the military are generally reserved for officers who are
      "REMFs" (Rear-Echelon Mother...). Real officers, those who've led men in
      combat, know that a salute is really a "sniper check" – that is, it
      lets a distant sniper know who the officer is, which makes it more
      likely he'll be killed. REAL officers earn the respect of their men, and
      gain not submission, but recognition of authority and skill.

      I've been a mediator for over 8 years. I have engaged in the resolution
      of more disputes than I can remember. And never have I had to resort to
      any such cheap tricks or tactics to shore up my authority or keep order.
      In fact, such tricks would prove counter-productive to the process, and
      would serve only to undermine my position. And I would put my record up
      against that of any judge, to compare the level of satisfaction, truth,
      and justice achieved by our actions.

      Now, I've been in court a number of times over the years. I have
      rendered the same respect I do anyone. And I know that to many, the
      removal of a hat in court seems like a petty issue to start a fight
      over. Many folks will say: "Hey, it's just a hat! Just take the damned
      thing off and get through the proceedings as easily as possible!"

      But it's not just a hat. It's a principle. Or rather, it is the visible
      sign of a principle: On the one hand, the individual says "I am an
      individual, free and equal before the law." On the other, the judge says
      (by his actions): "You are below me, and will submit to me. Submission
      is more important than the Law, Truth, or Justice. There is no Equality
      – you are subservient to me, and you will demonstrate to all that
      you know your place, or you will be forced into captivity until such
      time as you submit or until I demonstrate my `mercy' and allow
      you your freedom."

      I know it seems like a silly hill to choose upon which to die, but this
      has become a religious belief to me. I am the moral equal of any man,
      and I will not submit arbitrarily to anyone. And no government has the
      authority to change that. They may well have the ability to enforce
      their will on me – through the use of superior numbers and armed
      force; but never will they have the moral authority to do so.
      Mike Ruff and Stephanie Murphy are both FSP First 1000 early movers.
      Ruff is an agorist and professional mediator and moved to New Hampshire
      in 2006. Murphy is an author, liberty activist, and medical student who
      moved to New Hampshire in 2006. Lights of Liberty
      Attention liberty advocates! Just one week remains to nominate people
      (including yourself) for The Advocates' <http://www.theadvocates.org/>
      annual Lights of Liberty Award <http://libertarianawards.com/> ! You
      qualify if in 2010 you did ANY COMBINATION of three of these activities:
      * Had a letter mentioning the word "libertarian" printed in a
      newspaper or magazine * Participated for two hours or more in one
      day at an Operation Politically Homeless (OPH) booth * Delivered a
      speech using the word "libertarian" to a non-libertarian audience
      The deadline for entry for 2010 awards is Tuesday, February 22, 2011, so
      please enter today. Be sure to mention that you are a Participant or
      Friend of the Free State Project. If you don't qualify for 2010, get
      started for 2011! More information here
      <http://freestateproject.org/volunteer/lights_of_liberty> .

      Drupalistas needed
      Hey libertarian Drupal/PHP developers! The FSP is the last best hope for
      liberty in our lifetime, but is the FSP web site not living up to its
      full potential? Do you have an itch to scratch? The FSP needs
      drupalistas. Help make the FSP web site the buzzing hub of a virtual
      movement. If you are familiar with the CMS Drupal, join the FSP IT team.
      Contact Edi at: volunteer@...
      <mailto:volunteer@...>
      New FSP News feature
      This month's FSP News introduces two new sections. The Website of
      the Month is a website or blog about liberty activism in NH, NH in
      general or a website that at least has an unpaid FSP ad on it. The
      Facebook Page of the Month is a Facebook page or group that is about
      liberty activism in NH or NH in general. If you would like to suggest a
      Website of the Month
      <http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=22934.0> or a
      Facebook Page of the Month
      <http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=22935.0> , please
      post your suggestion to the relate thread on the FSP Forum. As with
      everything in the FSP News, the sites selected for either monthly
      section are not necessarily endorsed or even supported by either the FSP
      or FSP participants.
      Website of the Month: Free Keene
      Free Keene <http://freekeene.com/> is a compressive blog that includes
      a forum, calendar of events, 101 Reasons to Move to Keene, audio files
      and much more. If you have ever thought about visiting Keene, this is
      the blog for you.
      Facebook Page of the Month: Free State Project
      What better way to start off this feature than with the FSP facebook
      page <http://www.facebook.com/FreeStateProject.org> ? The page is active
      with all type of information you are missing out on if you haven't
      liked it on FB yet. So go ahead and log onto FB right now, if you
      aren't already logged in, and like the FSP.
      Merchandise
      Why are we so drawn to "the new"? Take me, for example, a new product
      shows up in the FSP Store <http://freestateproject.org//store> and I go
      bonkers. Look! FSP Logo Cling Decals, they're awesome! Check out the way
      they stick, totally cool! Besides the fact that they are totally awesome
      and cool, should I care more about them because they're new? Am I some
      human magpie, only attracted to the newest coruscating baubles? Why do I
      get excited about something that's "New and Improved", especially when
      it can't be one if it's another? What of our old friends, like that
      wristwatch that belonged to our grandfather or our favorite pair of
      tattered sneakers or other item of clothing? There is a grain of truth
      in the 'guy joke' that says we like to hang on to them as long as there
      are at least two underwear molecules holding them together. So let's try
      not to be so distracted by the au courant. Sure, the flashy, shimmering
      copper rounds <http://freestateproject.org//store#copperround> and new
      stock of FSP Logo Cling Decals
      <http://freestateproject.org//store#fspclingdecal> are great, but what
      about the trusted standards? How many of us have worn out, bent and
      twisted Pocket Constitutions
      <http://freestateproject.org//store#constitution> ? Maybe we should
      honor that venerable document and replace the tear-stained copy that's
      been wrung in our hands for years. For those that think even the
      Constitution isn't the way to go, how about a "Live Free or Spaz
      sticker? Even the magnets <http://freestateproject.org//store#magnets>
      hold a host of ideas. The outdated "What Color..." can still spark a
      lively conversation when noticed on the company refrigerator. And the
      "Don't Tread on Me" is a classic known the world over. So take a look at
      the old and the new at the Free State Project Store
      <http://freestateproject.org//store> , whether you buy to help support
      the cause financially or buy to advertise and spread the news of Freedom
      in Our Lifetime to the oppressed, regulated, and looted whether next
      door or around the globe, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile.
      <http://freestateproject.org/> The Free State Project is an effort to
      recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire. We are
      looking for neighborly, productive, tolerant folks from all walks of
      life, of all ages, creeds, and colors who agree to the political
      philosophy expressed in our Statement of Intent, that government exists
      at most to protect people's rights, and should neither provide for
      people nor punish them for activities that interfere with no one else.
      freestateproject.org <http://freestateproject.org/> In New Hampshire
      Free State Blogs
      <http://freestateblogs.net/> What's happening in New Hampshire with
      the Free State Project? Free State Blogs <http://freestateblogs.net/>
      attempts to answer that question.
      The RidleyReport
      Videographer Dave Ridley from NHFree.com
      <http://www.newhampshireunderground.com/wiki/tiki-index.php> is one of
      our Porcs on the scene in New Hampshire. See some of what's happening in
      the Free State on the RidleyReport <http://youtube.com/RidleyReport> .
      Check the NH Calendars
      The NH Underground Calendar
      <http://forum.nhunderground.com/index.php?action=calendar> lists
      liberty-oriented New Hampshire events. The NH Liberty Calendar
      <http://www.nhlibertycalendar.org/> also tracks NH events. Check the
      calendars before a visit or a move - you are welcome to attend NH
      events!
      FSP News Thanks & Statistics
      FSP News circulation: 14,691. Back issues
      <http://freestateproject.org/news/fspnews/> are available. Got FSP
      news? Please submit <mailto:newsletter@...> content by
      the 12th of the month. Thank you to all advertisers and contributors.

      FSP Participants - here are some quick links:

      * If you've moved to NH or otherwise changed your info, please update
      your contact info <http://freestateproject.org/user> or send a message
      to Moved@... <mailto:Moved@...> to
      let us know.

      * Find NH job info on the website
      <http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/Jobs> - post your resume & check
      the FSP forum <http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=30.0>
      for a job!

      * Check out NH housing and other community & logistical information
      at NH Info <http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/>

      Are you ready to join the FSP, move to New Hampshire and work with us
      towards Liberty in Our Lifetime? Join here!
      <http://freestateproject.org/user/register>

      <http://www.porcupinerun.com/> Participants: 10,651
      Participants in NH: 889
      as of 02/14/11

      The Free State Project (FSP) is an effort to recruit 20,000 pro-liberty
      activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest
      practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum
      role of government is the protection of life, liberty and property. The
      work of creating and sustaining such a society in New Hampshire is the
      job of residents, including project participants, not the Free State
      Project itself.

      The FSP does not endorse any specific changes to government or
      strategies to achieve them. The FSP does not take positions on issues,
      candidates, legislation, places to move within New Hampshire, tactics or
      methods of action. The one stipulation the FSP does make is that people
      who promote violence, racial hatred, or bigotry are not welcome.

      Reporting by the FSP on participant activity or NH events on the
      website, in the newsletter, or in any other place does not represent
      support or endorsement and may not portray the diversity of opinions and
      activities that exists among participants.

      a0366d00e30b2d8d>
      To update your preferences visit this link
      <http://phplist.freestateproject.org/?p=preferences&uid=f4dd431ae60c931a\
      a0366d00e30b2d8d>
      FSP Website: http://www.freestateproject.org Liberty in our Lifetime