Re: [FSP] Freestaters everywhere in NH

  • Jody Underwood
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 29, 2011
      > Does those dozen FSPers include the likes of the Republican mentioned
      > here who
      > is opposed to drug legalization? Did those dozen FSPers migrate to NH,
      > or were they
      > merely endorsed by those in the FSP?

      I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but those dozen all
      moved to NH for the FSP. I wouldn't call any of them Republican, though
      I would call that other guy a Republican. There are an additional few
      dozen or more native NH representatives that the NHLA rated as really
      high on the liberty scale.

      -Jody
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 29, 2011
        That's why I said "some method of Condorcet". I meant that we're seeking to
        replace traditional up-or-down voting (where we're all forced to vote,
        endlessly, for "the lesser of two evils") with some method of "ranking
        voting." Condorcet is on. IRV is another. There are others. All are
        presumably superior to voting for the lesser of two evils. ---Tim Condon

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 29, 2011
          Gary...I swear...you remind me of "the typical libertarian." More interested
          in being right than winning, endlessly pessimistic, delighted with your
          downtrodden, hound-dog, libertarian status.... *Relax man, would ya! Lighten
          up! Start to enjoy life! (*Even if you *are* a loser
          libertarian<http://freestateproject.org/about/essay_archive/listen.php>
          .)

          The FSPer Republicans you wonder about are not opposed to drug legalization.
          And "those dozen FSPers" that you are suspiciously sniffing around like a
          half-crazed pit bull looking for something to bite...they *ALL* migrated
          into the Free State from somewhere else in America.

          Wherever you are, Gary, you can choose to stay there, with the endless
          weight of the boot-of-the-state on your neck...or you can choose to join us
          in the Free State where we're creating a real chance for liberty in our
          lifetimes. In short, we're helping to make it *happen.* With respect to the
          movement for freedom in New Hampshire, if you choose to "sit it out"---like
          the 1/3 of the population in the American Revolution---you're not doing any
          active damage..but you're not helping much either.

          For the rest of you, I implore you: Start planning your move to New
          Hampshire *as soon as possible*. You'll win, either way: As Dreepa
          said---who moved here with his wife and multiple children from a far-away
          warm-weather state---"even if this wasn't the Free State, we love it here!"

          What can I say? Other than...*ME TOO!*. ---Tim Condon

          On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Gary Snyder <gsnyder15@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > will be thrilled with. These laws are opposed by all Democrats and other
          > > statists (including bad Republicans), they will be vetoed by Democratic
          > > Gov. John Lynch,
          >
          > I remember about 10 years ago when the case was made for NH to be the
          > Free State, part of that case included, "Hey, we've got a Republican
          > governor!". Ten years later, I wonder how those same supporters of NH,
          > who included that above argument, would explain that NH now has a
          > Democratic governor.
          >
          > I thought it was a strong sign three years ago that NH was no closer to
          > freedom than most states when Ron Paul fared no better in the NH primary
          > than he did in most states.
          >
          > I think now as I did then: that NH simply has too big a population to
          > likely succeed should a few thousand free-staters make the move there.

        • Jason Sorens
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 29, 2011
            This is a bit off-topic, but... IRV is actually more "gameable" than any
            form of Condorcet voting. :)

          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 29, 2011
              There's a nice graph here showing how various voting systems fare when people are voting sincerely or tactically:
              http://www.electology.org/tactical-voting

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 29, 2011
                Hi Jason. I've got to say, I don't think this discussion to be (overly)
                off-topic. Why? Because all types of things are going to be thought about
                and considered in the Free State about government and its form, functions,
                and mechanics that have never been "allowed" to be discussed and advanced
                virtually anywhere in the past. Usually because an anointed political
                cognoscenti has declared certain subjects and threads of thought to be "out
                of bounds." Changing the lesser-of-two-evils voting system to some form of
                ranking system is one of them. But in New Hampshire, *nothing* is out of
                bounds that will help bring our state government into the 21st century and
                make it less intrusive, less overbearing, less dangerous, more efficient,
                less expensive, and more hospitable to liberty and individualism. Thus,
                talking about IRV, Condorcet, and other "ranking methods" of voting should
                be thought of as well within the imprimatur of the Free State Project and
                its participants. ---Tim Condon

                On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Jason Sorens <jsorens@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >> also got
                > >> veto-proof Republican majorities in the state house, the state senate,
                > and
                > >> the state executive council. They all believe in the NH State GOP
                > >> Platform,
                > >> which is pretty damned good. The Democrat governor has become almost
                > >> irrelevant. In 2012 we'll have a Republican governor, in touch with and
                > >> supported by Republican Freestaters from all over NH.
                > >>
                > >> Timothy Condon, Esq.
                > >> 12 Liberty Lane, Grafton, NH 03240
                > >> Cell 813-453-2379
                > >> Ofc.: 307 S. Fielding Ave., Suite #2
                > >> Tampa, Florida 33606
                > >> 813-251-2626 Fax 813-200-3395
                > >> Email: tim@... <tim%40timcondon.net> <mailto:
                > tim%40timcondon.net <tim%2540timcondon.net>>

                > >> <mailto:gsnyder15%40yahoo.com <gsnyder15%2540yahoo.com>><gsnyder15%

              • Blay
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                  With all due respect, I think you are wrong. Reason #3 in the article
                  below articulates well my reason for being concerned about Condorcet.
                  Voters always have the incentive to "bury" popular opponents to give
                  their candidate the best chance to win, as the article explains.

                  http://www.fairvote.org/why-i-prefer-irv-to-condorcet/

                  I have never seen any but the most convoluted and outlandish examples of
                  how IRV can theoretically be gamed. The examples always involve a very
                  contrived set of ballots with missing sets of rankings that would never
                  occur in a natural distribution. Please provide some evidence to support
                  your naked assertion.

                  Blay

                  On 1/29/2011 9:57 PM, Jason Sorens wrote:

> [...]
                  > senate, and
                  > >> the state executive council. They all believe in the NH State GOP
                  > >> Platform,
                  > >> which is pretty damned good. The Democrat governor has become almost
                  > >> irrelevant. In 2012 we'll have a Republican governor, in touch with and
                  > >> supported by Republican Freestaters from all over NH.
                  > >>
                  > >> Timothy Condon, Esq.
                  > >> 12 Liberty Lane, Grafton, NH 03240
                  > >> Cell 813-453-2379
                  > >> Ofc.: 307 S. Fielding Ave., Suite #2
                  > >> Tampa, Florida 33606
                  > >> 813-251-2626 Fax 813-200-3395
                  > >> Email: tim@... <mailto:tim%40timcondon.net>
                  > <mailto:tim%40timcondon.net>
                  > >>
                  > >> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Dreepa@ <dreepa@...
                  > <mailto:dreepa%40yahoo.com>

                  > <mailto:gsnyder15%40yahoo.com>
                  > >> <mailto:gsnyder15%40yahoo.com><gsnyder15%40yahoo.com>>

                • Stephen
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                    Jason probably made his "naked assertion" knowing that it is common knowledge. Why reenact here all the religious battles of the voting methods community?

                    I already provided you with the results of a simulation showing Bayesian regret for various voting methods under conditions of tactical and sincere voting, and IRV is only marginally less sucky than Plurality Voting:
                    http://www.electology.org/tactical-voting

                    Mike Ossipoff, who wrote the articles for the famous ElectionMethods.org, provides a discussion of various voting systems' susceptibility to tactical voting here:
                    http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/compm.html

                    However, you are right to dismiss the convoluted theoretical arguments, because we are living in the real world. In the real world it would be a massive leap to change from Plurality to any ranking system, let alone a bad one like IRV. Approval Voting is not only a good voting system, it is a modest step from our current method. This is why Mike Ossipoff endorsed it:
                    http://rangevoting.org/OssipoffEnd.html

                    When I explain voting reform, I ask people to describe what they would instinctively do when picking a movie with a group of friends at a multiplex. The instinctive methods are Approval and something like a truncated Borda Count. Condorcet's counting method is too complex, and IRV is not only complex, but throws out compromise candidates with the bath.

                    --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Blay <links@...> wrote:

                    > With all due respect, I think you are wrong. Reason #3 in the article
                    > below articulates well my reason for being concerned about Condorcet.
                    > Voters always have the incentive to "bury" popular opponents to give
                    > their candidate the best chance to win, as the article explains.
                    >
                    > http://www.fairvote.org/why-i-prefer-irv-to-condorcet/
                    >
                    > I have never seen any but the most convoluted and outlandish examples of
                    > how IRV can theoretically be gamed. The examples always involve a very
                    > contrived set of ballots with missing sets of rankings that would never
                    > occur in a natural distribution. Please provide some evidence to support
                    > your naked assertion.
                    >
                    > Blay
                    >

                    > On 1/29/2011 9:57 PM, Jason Sorens wrote:
                    > >

                    > > This is a bit off-topic, but... IRV is actually more "gameable" than any
                    > > form of Condorcet voting. :)
                  • Jason Sorens
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                      The Bayesian regret studies that Steve Cobb linked are examples, although
                      even those are probably too hard on Condorcet, since they assume a kind
                      of naive strategy rather than rational voting. Condorcet voting is
                      sufficiently complex that with a large number of voters and several
                      candidates, it's very difficult for ordinary voters under ordinary
                      circumstances to know how to vote tactically. IRV is simpler, & that
                      alone makes it easier to game under ordinary circumstances. Plus, for
                      libertarians, IRV is especially bad since it eliminates third parties'
                      blackmail power.

                    • Stephen
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                        I usually hear tactical voting discussed in terms of individual isolated voters. Couldn't influential people with resources (say Rush Limbaugh) provide their zombie ditto-head armies with a tactical voting plan? I would expect some amount of coordination.

                        >Plus, for libertarians, IRV is especially bad since it eliminates third parties' blackmail power.

                        IRV is bad for compromise candidates who are many people's second choice but few people's first choice, like maybe Libertarians. I'm not sure who IRV is good for. Not Libertarians, not Greens, and probably not any other third party.

                        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Jason Sorens <jsorens@...> wrote:

                        > The Bayesian regret studies that Steve Cobb linked are examples, although
                        > even those are probably too hard on Condorcet, since they assume a kind
                        > of naive strategy rather than rational voting. Condorcet voting is
                        > sufficiently complex that with a large number of voters and several
                        > candidates, it's very difficult for ordinary voters under ordinary
                        > circumstances to know how to vote tactically. IRV is simpler, & that
                        > alone makes it easier to game under ordinary circumstances. Plus, for
                        > libertarians, IRV is especially bad since it eliminates third parties'
                        > blackmail power.
                      • Blay
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 30, 2011
                          The complexity of the voting system is irrelevant -- people don't have
                          to understand how a voting system works or why in order to exploit its
                          weaknesses. All it takes is one genius to figure it out and tell
                          everyone else how they have to vote to make the gaming work. They don't
                          have to understand how or why it works, just that it does (like driving
                          a car). So Condorcet's supposed complexity would not protect it from
                          tactical voting. Likewise, IRV's simplicity would not make it easier to
                          game.

                          I am not familiar enough with the other factors you mentioned to comment
                          on whether they would weigh for or against one system or the other. I
                          only maintain that Condorcet is susceptible to gaming whereas, from a
                          practical standpoint, IRV is not, and that that is a critical
                          consideration when choosing a voting system for public elections. I do
                          not see anything to refute those contentions in your comments, below.

                          In Condorcet, again, one games the system by ranking one's opponent
                          lower than one really believes, thereby causing him to lose more
                          pairwise contests, thereby improving the chance for one's first choice
                          to prevail. How. specifically, does one game the system under IRV?

                          Blay

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                            Well, everyone, back to the Free State! As I mentioned, there is a bill
                            actually pending in the New Hampshire legislature now which replaces
                            lesser-of-two-evils voting with "some type" of rank-your-choices. I don't
                            know that it's Condorcet, and I don't know that it's IRV. Could one of you
                            guys (like Steve Cobb, who lives in New Hampshire and is extremely
                            knowledgeable about the different types of voting), look over the bill, and
                            explain to everyone on this list what type of voting plan it advances, and
                            why that particular system will be far superior to
                            lesser-of-two-evils...whether it's Concorcet, IRV, or some other variation?

                            Thanks, Steve! This IS all about the Free State, after all, and the advances
                            we're making there....so that everyone else on this list will be apprised of
                            those facts, and will start packing their bags to move to New Hampshire.
                            Sooner rather than later! Cheers, Porcupines! ---Tim Condon

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                              Well, let me put it this way: to know how to vote tactically under
                              Condorcet, you need to know a lot more info than you do to know how to
                              vote tactically under IRV. I think it's unlikely that even one person will
                              be able to figure it out in any normal-size political election with
                              several candidates. But I don't support either Condorcet or IRV for
                              political elections - like Steve, I think Approval is the best realistic
                              reform.

                            • Jason Sorens
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                The bill is to institute Approval Voting, which is very simple and doesn't
                                involve ranking. In any race, you can vote for as many candidates as you
                                like, and the candidates with the most votes wins. It's called "Approval"
                                because you have a chance to "approve" or "disapprove" each candidate.
                                More on AV:
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting

                              • GaryT
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                  I like that analogy, NH to USA ≡ Hong Kong to Republic of China

                                  He's a Tea Party conservative, Gary. As such, he is libertarian on fiscal,
                                  self-defense, 2nd Amendment, spending, and broad liberty and Constitutional
                                  issues. Although I don't know for sure, I would expect that he may be
                                  against gay marriage, drug legalization (although not necessarily medical
                                  marijuana), abortion (which can be argued either way from a libertarian
                                  perspective), etc.

[...]
                                  John Lynch, and they will be passed by the state legislature over the
                                  governor's veto. These types of bills run the gauntlet from reductions in
                                  spending, to reductions in state government power, to reductions in taxes
                                  and fees, to increasing personal liberty in various ways, to evening up the
                                  power imbalance between the political/government/ruling classes and the
                                  people of New Hampshire, and many others.

                                  Watch what is happening in the Free State, everyone! You will see what a
                                  determined, vocal, and increasingly effective minority of
                                  liberty-lovers---eventually to become a majority---can do!
                                  In the not-too-distant future, America may for the most part look like
                                  something along the lines of Mexico, Russia, or Zimbabwe. But at the same
                                  time, New Hampshire will become to America what Hong Kong was to Maoist
                                  China...a shining beacon of individual liberty, free market capitalism,
                                  health individualism, and an increasingly small state government structure.

                                  Y'all come, Porcupines!

                                  Timothy Condon, Esq.
                                  12 Liberty Lane, Grafton, NH 03240
                                  Cell 813-453-2379
                                  Ofc.: 307 S. Fielding Ave., Suite #2
                                  Tampa, Florida 33606
                                  813-251-2626 Fax 813-200-3395
                                  Email: tim@...

                                  NOTE: The contents of this e-mail and attachments are intended solely for
                                  the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
                                  information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if
                                  the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments. If
                                  you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,
                                  dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message is
                                  prohibited.

                                  On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM, GaryT <garyonthenet@...> wrote:

                                  > After reading the article, I think its a step in the right direction.
                                  > (I do see a pun there)
                                  >
                                  > Of course as a purist libertarian, I would be hoping for so much more. How
                                  > libertarian is Kimball?
                                  > It says he shyed away from gay marriage and abortion, and I would presume
                                  > drug legalization too.
                                  > Yet he says he is not a big tent Republican.
                                  >
                                  > Sounds a bit like a libertarian leaning Republican. Better than otherwise I
                                  >
                                  > guess given the context.
                                  >
                                  > Gary T

                                • GaryT
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                    I will make a statement based upon my political, mathematical, and philosophical intuition.

                                    Standard democratic voting works well within socialistically viable population levels, say between 30 and 1000 people.
                                    After that, I think it unfairly systemically concentrates power in a way that democratic voting is not envisioned to result in.

                                    In large democratic populations, voting needs to be in some form of IRV to be representative and fair.

                                    Gary T

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 31, 2011
                                      Then I stand corrected! And gladly so. It appears that the best choice among
                                      Condorcet, IRV, and Approval is being lofted for voting in New Hampshire.
                                      Excellent stuff!

                                      Can anyone name any other state among the 57 (according to Obama) that is
                                      even considering modifying the voting system to better empower good
                                      candidates and discerning voters?

                                      Of course not! "Only in the Free State." ---Tim Condon