FSP News - June 2010

  • PhilB
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2010
      FSP News - June 2010 PorcFest 7
      The 7th annual Porcupine Freedom Festival is less than two weeks away!
      Join us June 24th through the 27th at Roger's Campground
      <http://www.rogerscampground.com/> in Lancaster, New Hampshire.
      PorcFest 2010 is going to be the biggest one yet! Check out the schedule
      <http://freestateproject.org/news/festival> and start planning your
      weekend in the Free State. Be at the opening ceremony on Thursday
      evening with Stefan Molyneux <http://www.freedomainradio.com/> , and
      stay afterwards for the 80's Dance Party! Also,

      * Don't miss live music Friday night with many talented musicians and
      headliner Jordan Page <http://www.myspace.com/jordanpagemusic> . *
      Exchange ideas with Larkin Rose as he discusses how to achieve freedom
      "for those few who WANT it!". * Get interviewed by Ernest Hancock of
      Freedom's Phoenix <http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/> on Liberty News
      Radio and Republic Broadcasting Radio. On Saturday night, catch Ernie's
      speech before the start of Soapbox Idol. * Join former governer of
      New Mexico, Gary Johnson, at the closing ceremony Sunday morning. Stick
      around after the speech for the awards ceremony. * If you're
      interested in attending either Marc Steven's seminar or Michael
      Badnarik's Constitution class, it's not too late to sign up
      <http://porcfest10.eventbrite.com/> . Tickets are limited for both
      events, and there are fewer than 10 left for each, so don't wait until
      PorcFest to purchase yours. * Don't forget, theme camps are being
      encouraged this year. Decorate your campsite, and you could be our first
      ever Best Campsite winner! * PorcFest is also all about our in-state
      Porcupines.... Don't miss your chance to meet and mingle with the
      activists on the front lines of freedom... Bring your questions, and
      make the move!

      Online registration <http://porcfest10.eventbrite.com/> for PorcFest is
      $25 (18 and under FREE!) and $30 at the door.
      To book your accommodation, call Roger's at 603-788-4885 or visit them
      online at www.rogerscampground.com/ <http://www.rogerscampground.com/> .
      See you in June! Since the Free State Project relies on the generosity
      of freedom lovers such as yourself, please consider contributing
      <http://www.freestateproject.org/volunteer/donate> to help support
      outreach events like the Porcupine Freedom Festival as well as effective
      advertising on liberty oriented sites. Your donation brings us closer to
      achieving Liberty in Our Lifetime.
      Police Ordered to Return NH Dealer's Switchblade Inventory
      Hot on the heels of New Hampshire's achieving total knife freedom
      <http://freestateproject.org/content/new-hampshire-now-has-total-knife-l\
      iberty> , police have been ordered to return confiscated switchblades.

      Abe Foote of Abe's Awesome Armaments in New Hampton, NH, who was an
      unfairly prosecuted victim of New Hampshire's former restrictions on
      switchblade sales, was reunited on Wednesday with some of the knives the
      police had seized.

      Unfortunately, approximately one third of the knives seized by the
      police remain unaccounted for, having disappeared from the evidence
      room. An internal investigation has been launched by the County
      Prosecutor. Knife Rights attorney and Freedom's Point award winner
      Evan Nappen got the court order for the knives' return.

      Details at this post on ammoland.com
      <http://www.ammoland.com/2010/06/11/police-ordered-to-return-nh-dealers-\
      switchblade-inventory>
      Two Free Staters Honored at BLADE Show in Atlanta, GA
      Source of article below: PGNH
      <http://www.pgnh.org/pro_gun_new_hampshire_leaders_honored_at_blade_show\
      _in_atlanta_georgia>

      New Hampshire State Representative Jennifer Coffey, a senior Advisor of
      PGNH, and attorney Evan Nappen, PGNH General Counsel and Director, were
      presented with awards at the BLADE show last week in Atlanta, Georgia.

      The BLADE show included an awards breakfast sponsored by Knife Rights,
      Inc., with keynote speaker Alan Gura, the lead attorney for the landmark
      Heller case in which the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Second
      Amendment two years ago. At that breakfast, Jenn Coffey was presented
      with Knife Right's inaugural "Freedom's Edge" award, the first of an
      annual series. Per the Knife Rights press release:

      The Freedom's Edge™ Award is to be given annually to honor a
      local, state or national elected representative who has demonstrated
      their commitment to a Sharper Future™ by leadership in the fight to
      protect or enhance our knife rights.

      Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter said, "Representative Coffey is being
      recognized for her courageous initiative and sponsorship of the New
      Hampshire Knife Rights Bill which will legalize switchblades, dirks,
      daggers and stilettos for New Hampshire citizens." With support from
      Knife Rights, at this time the bill has passed by unanimous consent in
      both houses and is on its way to the Governor for signature. [Note: the
      press release was written before Governor Lynch signed the bill on May
      18.] This will make New Hampshire one of the most knife-friendly states
      in the country. Said Ritter, "The Freedom's Edge™ Award
      represents a Sharper Future™ for all knife owners."

      Evan Nappen, who took the stage to introduce Rep. Coffey, was surprised
      to be presented with another Knife Rights award, the inaugural
      "Freedom's Point" award, also the first of an annual series. Per a
      second Knife Rights press release:

      The Freedom's Point™ Award is to be given annually to honor a
      individual citizen who has demonstrated their commitment to a Sharper
      Future™ by leadership in the fight to protect or enhance our knife
      rights.

      Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter said, "Evan Nappen is being recognized
      for two significant contributions during the past year. Last summer,
      when U.S. Customs was attempting to redefine what a switchblade was in a
      manner that would have adversely impacted 80% of the knives sold in the
      U.S. today, Evan volunteered to develop Knife Rights' official response
      to U.S. Customs. He put together an excellent legal brief clearly
      exposing the fallacies and inconsistencies of Customs' position in a
      matter of a few short days." That effort eventually resulted in Congress
      passing an amendment to the Federal Switchblade Act exempting assisted
      opening and one-hand opening knives."

      Doug continued, "Every legislative initiative requires someone local to
      lead the charge. In New Hampshire, it was Evan who worked long hours to
      rally support for the Knife Rights bill introduced by Representative
      Jenn Coffey. It was Evan who spearheaded the fundraising effort. It was
      Evan who organized the testimony in front of the committees. We would
      not have been so successful in New Hampshire if it weren't for the
      leadership and hard work of Evan Nappen." The Knife Rights Bill passed
      in New Hampshire legalizes switchblades, dirks, daggers and stilettos.

      Evan was further honored later at the BLADE show's dinner banquet, when
      he was awarded the show's coveted Publisher's Award for his many
      important contributions over the past year. These included not only the
      New Hampshire legislation and help with many other legal issues all over
      the country including Arizona's state preemption law, but most
      significantly his twenty-page legal brief which many believe was a
      critical factor in Congress's landmark legislation not to reclassify
      most folding knives as switchblades. Evan received this award as a
      representative of all the individuals and groups who fought for knife
      freedom throughout this year.

      NH Liberty Radio
      New Hampshire Liberty Radio <http://www.nhlibertyradio.com/> has posted
      interviews with several Free State Project movers and activists.
      Recently, they've interviewed Carla Gericke
      <http://nhlibertyradio.com/NHLR20100519.mp3> to discuss the upcoming
      annual Porcupine Freedom Festival <http://www.porcfest.com/> and
      Videographer David Ridley <http://nhlibertyradio.com/NHLR20100602.mp3>
      to discuss happenings in the Free State Project community. For an
      archive of past shows and to listen to future shows, visit
      nhlibertyradio.com <http://www.nhlibertyradio.com/> .
      Most Livable Cities
      Forbes has listed the Manchester-Nashua area one of America's most
      livable cities
      <http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/29/cities-livable-pittsburgh-lifestyle-re\
      al-estate-top-ten-jobs-crime-income_slide_5.html> . This is on top of NH
      being ranked #1 <http://os.cqpress.com/StateRank2008_Rankings.pdf> in
      the nation for quality of life and livability five years in a row.
      Made the Move Interview: Jason Talley
      Jason Talley, founder of Bureaucrash <http://bureaucrash.com/> and
      traveler with Motorhome Diaries <http://motorhomediaries.com/> , has
      made the move to NH. See his interview here
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuA1iDYUO3I> . For more interviews with
      movers and other cool videos related to the Free State Project, check
      out and subscribe to our YouTube page
      <http://www.youtube.com/freestateprojectnh> .
      Merchandise
      The sign on the door said "Mead Asps - Merchandise Detective". The sign
      on my bottle said "According to the Surgeon General, women should not
      drink alcoholic beverages during pregnancy because of the risk of birth
      defects." But as I wasn't a woman, and wasn't planning on getting
      pregnant any time soon - I took a long swig. I waited for my throat to
      stop burning and my eyes to clear then looked at the bottle again. It
      also said, "Consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to
      drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems" Well, I
      wasn't driving, the most dangerous machinery I was likely to operate was
      a stapler, and May has already come and gone. I took another slug and
      while I was at it, finished the bottle. A soft knock at the door mingled
      with the ringing in my head. Hoping it was the liquor store delivery kid
      with my dinner, I called out, "Come on in." Through my blurred vision I
      couldn't see details, but this dame looked like a shiny gold sovereign
      in a sea of dirty reserve notes. Even through my watery eyes I could
      tell she was the perfect blend of Ethel Merman and Daryl Hannah. Her
      lips parted, she hesitated for only a heartbeat, and with the sweetest
      voice this side of a purple finch said, "Mr. Asps, I'd like to hire
      you." At least that's what it sounded like, the blood rushing through my
      ears like congressmen stampeding toward a taxpayer funded buffet made it
      rather difficult to tell for sure. I put a calm, confident look on my
      face and replied, "Hire me for what? Loose your copy of the tax code?"
      That was the booze talking; it didn't like me very much and wanted to
      make sure I never had a girlfriend. "No, Mr. Asps," her voice now tinged
      with just a tiny bit of frost. "I want you to find me some
      merchandise... some Free State Project merchandise." This time the booze
      didn't talk; it walked over and smacked me upside the head with a
      blackjack. When I came to my senses, she was still there, waiting
      patiently with a hopeful look on her face. I stood up, brushed off my
      suit, walked around the desk and leaned against it in my most casual
      pose and said "FSP Merchandise, huh? That covers a lot of ground. Are we
      talking key chains, tee shirts, can koozies? Are you sure you know what
      you're getting into?" She looked me right in the eyes and replied with
      steely determination, "Yes, I do, Mr. Asps. I want the stickers, I want
      the books, I want the pins, I want the flags. I want one of everything.
      Are you the man to get them for me, or will I be paying someone else?"
      She pulled out a giant wad of bills, enough to buy a pack of gum with
      anyway. "I hope you have more, you know my time ain't cheap", was my
      snide reply. With a cocky bend in her neck she pointed a thumb and said,
      "My dump truck's out back, where do you want it?" Even the booze was
      speechless at this point. Our eyes met in understanding. And after a
      little self-composition I said, "Why don't we go down to the café
      around the corner and down a cup of joe while we plan this out. Tell me,
      have you ever heard of the FSP Silver Round..."
      http://www.freestateproject.org/store
      <http://www.freestateproject.org/store>
      <http://freestateproject.org/> The Free State Project is an effort to
      recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire. We are
      looking for neighborly, productive, tolerant folks from all walks of
      life, of all ages, creeds, and colors who agree to the political
      philosophy expressed in our Statement of Intent, that government exists
      at most to protect people's rights, and should neither provide for
      people nor punish them for activities that interfere with no one else.
      freestateproject.org <http://freestateproject.org/> In New Hampshire
      Free State Blogs
      <http://freestateblogs.net/> What's happening in New Hampshire with
      the Free State Project? Free State Blogs <http://freestateblogs.net/>
      attempts to answer that question. The RidleyReport
      Videographer Dave Ridley from NHFree.com
      <http://www.newhampshireunderground.com/wiki/tiki-index.php> is one of
      our Porcs on the scene in New Hampshire. See some of what's happening in
      the Free State on the RidleyReport <http://youtube.com/RidleyReport> .
      Check the NH Calendars
      The NH Underground Calendar
      <http://forum.nhunderground.com/index.php?action=calendar> lists
      liberty-oriented New Hampshire events. The NH Liberty Calendar
      <http://www.nhlibertycalendar.org/> also tracks NH events. Check the
      calendars before a visit or a move - you are welcome to attend NH
      events!
      FSP News Thanks & Statistics
      FSP News circulation: 14,629. Back issues
      <http://freestateproject.org/news/fspnews/> are available. Got FSP
      news? Please submit <mailto:newsletter@...> content by
      the 12th of the month. Thank you to all advertisers and contributors.

      FSP Participants - here are some quick links:

      * If you've moved to NH or otherwise changed your info, please update
      your contact info <http://freestateproject.org/user> or send a message
      to Moved@... <mailto:Moved@...> to
      let us know.

      * Find NH job info on the website
      <http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/Jobs> - post your resume & check
      the FSP forum <http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=30.0>
      for a job!

      * Check out NH housing and other community & logistical information
      at NH Info <http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/>

      Are you ready to join the FSP, move to New Hampshire and work with us
      towards Liberty in Our Lifetime? Join here!
      <http://freestateproject.org/user/register>

      <http://www.porcupinerun.com/> Participants: 10,192
      Participants in NH: 825
      as of 06/15/10

      The Free State Project (FSP) is an effort to recruit 20,000 pro-liberty
      activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest
      practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum
      role of government is the protection of life, liberty and property. The
      work of creating and sustaining such a society in New Hampshire is the
      job of residents, including project participants, not the Free State
      Project itself.

      The FSP does not endorse any specific changes to government or
      strategies to achieve them. The FSP does not take positions on issues,
      candidates, legislation, places to move within New Hampshire, tactics or
      methods of action. The one stipulation the FSP does make is that people
      who promote violence, racial hatred, or bigotry are not welcome.

      Reporting by the FSP on participant activity or NH events on the
      website, in the newsletter, or in any other place does not represent
      support or endorsement and may not portray the diversity of opinions and
      activities that exists among participants.

      a0366d00e30b2d8d>
      To update your preferences visit this link
      <http://phplist.freestateproject.org/?p=preferences&uid=f4dd431ae60c931a\
      a0366d00e30b2d8d>
      FSP Website: http://www.freestateproject.org Liberty in our Lifetime