Re: [nhrvc] Ovide Lamontagne on Facebook...

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2009
      I'm sorry. Mr. Lamontagne may be a friendly, honest individual and a very
      nice man, but that Facebook page shouts out to me exactly what's WRONG with
      the Republican Party and the people who currently control it (but not for
      long). That Facebook page tells all about Mr. Lamontague, a man who wants to
      run for U.S. Senate from New Hampshire. It tells about how he has "dedicated
      his life to public service in various forms." It tells us about how he was
      a law clerk to a federal juddge, that he's a member of the NH Bar
      association, that he was editor-in chief of the Land and Water Law Review.
      It tells us all about how he has been on boards of directors, and was
      trustee for this or that, and how he's been so active in charitable
      endeavors. It tells us that he was Honorary Consul of France to NH, and was
      named Franco-American of the Year. It tells us the church he goes to and all
      the activities he's done with the church, and the Boy Scouts, and a Catholic
      high school. And it tells us that he's run for political offices in the past
      and has been "active in Republican politics."
      Thankfully, it doesn't tell us is what yacht clubs, country clubs, and
      upper-class social groups he is or has been a member of.

      I'm sorry. I'm not interested in ANY of the above things. I want to know
      whether Mr. Lamontagne is a political liberal, a "moderate," a conservative,
      or a libertarian, and what flavor of whatever he may call himself (and I
      don't want to know what he "says" he is, I want to know what he actually IS
      by knowing his political philosophy). I also want to know if he "doesn't do
      political labels," because they might "obscure the issues," or that he
      "doesn't want to tie himself down to any particular ideology or label."

      I want to know if Mr. Lamontagne has ever read "Free to Choose" or anything
      else by Milton Friedman. I want to know if he's read "Atlas Shrugged" or
      anything else by Ayn Rand. I want to know if he's read "The Road to Serfdom"
      or anything else by Frederich Hayek. I want to know if he's read "Human
      Action" or anything else by Ludwig Von Mises. I want to know if he's ever
      read anything at all by Murray Rothbard, Karl Hess, Hans Herman Hoppe,
      Joseph Schumpeter, Benjamin Tucker, Lysander Spooner, Rose Wilder Lane,
      George Gilder, Barry Goldwater, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Glen Beck,
      Rush Limbaugh, L. Neil Smith, Ann Coulter, Michele Malkin, Mark Steyn, Adam
      Smith, Frederic Bastiat, or any of *numerous* other thinkers and writers
      about individual liberty, personal freedom, and the legitimate and
      illegitimate functions of government. I want to know if he's ever subscribed
      to or read Reason Magazine, or WorldNet Daily, or Liberty, or The
      Libertarian Enterprise, or National Review, or the Freeman, or Free Market,
      or Imprimis, or any of numerous other liberty-oriented and free
      market-oriented periodicals.

      In short, I want to know if he has any foundational political philosophy,
      and if he does, I want to know what it is and what the GROUNDS are of that
      political philosophy. I want to know the ideas and ideals that will guide
      him in VOTING when he is elected to political office. Then I want to know
      specifically how he will vote on a host of issues that will most assuredly
      confront him when he holds political office. And if he can't give me
      straightforward and considered answers to these questions, I won't under ANY
      circumstances vote for him. He doesn't have to hold positions that I only
      agree with, but he DOES have to have positions already thought out, and a
      grounding in those areas of politics and political philosophy that I find to
      be important. Otherwise, there no way in hell I can have any idea of how he
      will vote on issues of importance to me when and if he gets elected.
      Furthermore, I have absolutely NO interest in awards or recognitions he has
      received from various civic and other non-political organizations in the
      past. Nor am I interested AT ALL in what upper-class social organizations
      and/or people he has been associated with. In fact, if he does tell me those
      things, that makes me far more suspicious of his intentions than if he can
      intelligently talk at least in a basic way about economics, political
      philosophy, geopolitics, and political history with me.

      Period.

      Timothy Condon, Esq.
      Home: 12 Liberty Lane, Grafton, NH 03240
      207-956-9041
      VOLLRATH-CONDON, P.A.
      Office: 307 S. Fielding Ave., Suite #2
      Tampa, Florida 33606
      813-251-2626 Fax 813-200-3395
      Email: tim@...

      NOTE: The contents of this e-mail and attachments are intended solely for
      the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
      information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if
      the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments. If
      you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,
      dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message is
      prohibited.