from Bruce Knight to Citizen Duquesne

  • citizenduquesne
    Message 1 of 2221 , Oct 6, 2001
      Lehr, you wrote:<br><br>>As far as I know,
      there is no "Sheriff" in this county. The Mayor,
      with<br>the<br>>consent of the Council, appoints the County's Chief of
      Police. As the<br>Mayor<br>>& Council are the supreme
      elected authorities at the county level
      (there<br>>being no municipalities in Hawaii), I suppose your
      analysis should follow<br>>vis a' vis federal
      subordination.<br><br>Maybe, though the precedents would be stronger with an
      elected Sheriff, an<br>office with roots in Anglo-Saxon
      common law (shire reeve being head honcho<br>of the
      shire). I'd like to check out the state constitution and
      county<br>charter or whatever it's called there to see how hard it
      would be to<br>formally establish said
      office.<br><br>If you're following the Klamath Basin drought story
      (aka "farmers vs<br>'endangered' sucker fish"), you
      may be aware that the county sheriff there<br>has
      essentially told the feds to take a hike. Meanwhile, local
      citizens<br>have produced documents purporting to show that
      ownership of the dam should<br>have reverted to them after
      building costs were recovered decades ago. It's<br>shaping
      up into an interesting fight.<br><br>>Presently
      our Mayor (a Republican) and<br>>the nine member
      Council (Democrat majority, one Green and a Couple
      of<br>>Republicans) accept federal gelt & do federal Drug War
      bidding. I'd be<br>>happy to support you (or any
      articulate libertarian) for a
      you know whether the county charter can be amended by
      the Council, vote<br>of local citizens, or the state
      course, and may be a pipe<br>>> dream. But what
      better place to try it than paradise, eh? I'll
      leave<br>New<br>>> England to hardier souls like our twangy brother,
      thanks -- been there,<br>>> still shiver at the
      thought. Tropical retirement, on the other
      agree. Come. I am not altogether convinced that we even
      have the<br>>numbers to swing a whole state. I'm
      more optimistic about the one island,<br>>though.
      At present we have ca. 120k people here. Another 20k
      would make a<br>>HUGE difference. Would not be
      enough (initially) to blow off the
      state,<br>but<br>>would at least secure county autonomy up to a (vastly
      improved) point.<br>>Insofar as we'd have the authority,
      we could tell state & feds alike to<br>>stuff
      their drug war bribes, deregulate the county code, and
      show our<br>>neighbor counties the light as they
      watch OUR economy blossom while theirs<br>>continue
      candle, eh?
    • Gold Standard Press
      Message 2221 of 2221 , Jan 13, 2003
        If we start out at the Town or County level, it will be pretty easy to soon find out whether our favorite candidates turn out to be True to their Word.

        c.