HB312, audiorecording the police - Senate vote THIS WEEK

  • Jeremy J. Olson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2009
      The Senate will be voting for HB312, "an act permitting a person to
      record a law enforcement officer in the course of such officer's
      official duties," this Wednesday.

      Over a dozen people showed up to support this bill at the House hearing
      before the Criminal Justice Committee; they recommended to the House
      that the bill be killed (big surprise), but we were able to get it to
      pass, 206–142, after supportive floor speeches by Reps. Joel Winters
      and Neil Kurk.

      The Senate Judiciary Committee held the public hearing for this bill on
      05-19, and again several supporters showed up to testify in its favor.
      They've also recommended that the Senate kill the bill, 5–0. The Senate
      vote will be held this week, on 06-03. We turned this around once, we
      can do it again.

      If you want to see this bill pass, *CALL YOUR SENATOR TODAY* and let
      them know how important this is. You can find out who your senator is
      and their phone number here:---

      http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/senatemembers.asp

      Again, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that this bill pass if we want to no
      longer worry about the police threatening activist journalists like
      Dave Ridley with a felony charge for audiotaping the police without
      their consent.

      --
      Jeremy J. Olson