Understanding is Freedom (was: The veterans)

  • Freedom Fred
    Message 1 of 31 , May 11 10:56 AM
      Tim Condon wrote:

      > "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has
      > any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its
      > worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always
      > paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
      >
      > Robert A. Heinlein

      That's how things were settled in the past. That does not mean we have
      to carry that sad approach into the future.

      I am not saying we should all be pacifists. Far from it. We should be
      strong enough to defend our home turf from any would-be attacker. But
      that does not mean that we also need to be the aggressor ourselves. For
      if our "Freedom" is had due to the oppression of others, then that
      "Freedom" is worthless, both morally and practically.

      We should all be of the mindset of never initiating aggression. If,
      then, someone tries to "settle" a disagreement with "naked force", at
      that point we should respond in like-kind.

      But if our species is to survive its technological infancy, we'd better
      be thinking along more constructive lines. Today, a single person, using
      technology, can kill thousands and disrupt millions, and it's not even
      that hard to do. Today, with the so-called "war on terrorism", the US
      has become terrorists themselves, killing countless innocents, which
      only inflames the anti-US sentiment abroad, leading to the "forever war"
      pattern, which is also noted in history.

      We can end this, but only if we are willing to depart from our tribal
      animalistic ways of dealing with conflict. We will either ascend to
      saner sensibilities as a species, or wipe ourselves out eventually. The
      nuclear arms race is one example of how we could (and perhaps nearly
      did) end ourselves via "naked violence" to the extreme. As the
      population on this little ball of ours continues to rise amidst our
      competition for the finite resources and limited land, it becomes even
      more important to shed our primitive tribalism and seek a new direction.

      I am convinced that we can be both Free and also Sensible. Alas,
      Governments currently work against both. Understanding the complex and
      complicated nuances give rise to ways to undo the sticky odoriferous
      mess we currently find ourselves.

      In short: Understanding is Freedom.

      --Freedom Fred
      Message 31 of 31 , May 25 12:53 AM
        Oh, I got the reference. Still, though. Same reaction. ---Tim