Re: Philosophy of Liberty DVD for NH Legislators

  • Denis Goddard
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2009
      Based on all the input I've received from several people, and carefully
      considering the best return on this investment, I am going forward with
      this libertarian outreach under the NHLA "brand". The updated cover
      letter is here <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> .

      The prime goal of this experiment is to help, in some small way, to make
      New Hampshire a freer state. That means, making Liberty both
      understandable, and desirable, to more of the people in government. A
      secondary goal is to publicize this outreach. The most compelling
      argument, to my mind, was the observation that members of either major
      political party will see the words "Libertarian Party" and think to
      themselves "some other party -- not mine!"

      Thanks to all who gave input and support to make this project possible.
      I expect to be distributing DVDs to the House Committees starting
      January 19th. By the end of January, all Reps, Senators, Executive
      Councilors, and the Governor will each have a copy.

      Going forward, I would appreciate it very much if each of you would do
      three things to help make this experiment a success:

      1) Contact your Reps and Senators by phone or email and give them your
      opinion on upcoming legislation
      <http://www.nhliberty.org/upcoming_house_hearings> (the linked page
      should contain data in the next few days; bookmark and check it
      frequently!)

      2) Refer back to the philosophy of liberty when you do contact them. Ask
      if they watched the video. Request, as a constituent who believes deeply
      in the philosophy, that they do so. Offer to answer any questions they
      may have.

      3) Publicize the experiment. Write about it on blogs, websites,
      pro-liberty discussion lists, and in Letters to the Editor.

      Thanks again,
      -Denis

    • Sandy Pierre
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2009
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Goddard"
        <denis.goddard@...> wrote:

        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
        > <jsorens@> wrote:
        > > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
        > > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're probably
        > > more likely to watch in the first place.
        >
        > That's bloody brilliant!
        >
        > If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such a
        > survey.
        > If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%
        >
        > Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
        > Deadline: Friday, Jan 16

        Denis, I'll submit a survey to you by Friday, Jan. 16th. I understand
        if you decide to go with a different version.

        --Sandy
      • Michael Gilson-DeLemos
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
          I strongly encourage this.

          In 2002 we did a similar thing in Florida. We included the Advocates
          QUIZ in a SASE and followed up with e-mails, phone calls, and a copy
          of our newsletter. We also did the same with media that had in past
          written about Libertarians, and selected community and other leaders.
          The results were excellent in terms of meeting people, developing
          relations, and pushing legislation since then. We did a mailer for
          some and an e-mail with links for others, and as long as there was
          follow up the results were good.

          This also works well at the local level, resulting in speaking
          invitations and suggestions of advisory board appointive
          opportunities.

          Keep up the good work!

          MG

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Pierre"
          <scitarel@...> wrote:

          > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Goddard"
          > <denis.goddard@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
          > > <jsorens@> wrote:
          > > > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
          > > > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're
          probably
          > > > more likely to watch in the first place.
          > >
          > > That's bloody brilliant!
          > >
          > > If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such
          > > survey.
          > > If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%
          > >
          > > Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
          > > Deadline: Friday, Jan 16
          > >

          > Denis, I'll submit a survey to you by Friday, Jan. 16th. I
          understand
          > if you decide to go with a different version.
          >
          > --Sandy

        • Denis Goddard
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 23, 2009
            A few weeks ago, I posted on my blog
            <http://freestateblogs.net/pol_dvd_4_leg> the idea to give a copy of
            the Philosphy of Liberty animation <http://philosophy.nhliberty.org/>
            and cover letter <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> to
            every member of the NH legislature.

            Thanks to generous donations from a number of people, this project is
            now a reality. I just got the DVDs delivered today; this weekend I'll be
            getting copies of the cover letters
            <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> and an accompanying
            questionnaire.

            The next step is to get these in the hands of the legislature, starting
            with the House. The plan is to place them on the desks of House
            Committee members just before the public hearings.

            This Tuesday, Feb 27th, most committees will be having hearings. Alone,
            I can manage only 1 or 2 committees'-worth of discs, so I'll be hitting
            Commerce
            <http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?\
            code=H43> and Municipal & County Government
            <http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?\
            code=H18> .

            If you can help, and can commit to meeting me at the State House
            Cafeteria at 8:30 AM, please shoot me an email or post on the NHLA
            Forum, here
            <http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=1688.msg12768#msg12768>
            . Should take us only a few minutes. Of course, there are some
            interesting hearings
            <http://www.nhliberty.org/upcoming_house_hearings?year=2009&impact=10&ne\
            xt_days=5> going on that morning -- I'll be staying for at least one of
            those.

            Thanks,
            -Denis