Re: Philosophy of Liberty DVD for NH Legislators

  • Denis Goddard
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2009
      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
      <jsorens@...> wrote:
      > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
      > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're probably
      > more likely to watch in the first place.

      That's bloody brilliant!

      If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such a
      survey.
      If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%

      Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
      Deadline: Friday, Jan 16
    • Denis Goddard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 11, 2009
        Based on all the input I've received from several people, and carefully
        considering the best return on this investment, I am going forward with
        this libertarian outreach under the NHLA "brand". The updated cover
        letter is here <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> .

        The prime goal of this experiment is to help, in some small way, to make
        New Hampshire a freer state. That means, making Liberty both
        understandable, and desirable, to more of the people in government. A
        secondary goal is to publicize this outreach. The most compelling
        argument, to my mind, was the observation that members of either major
        political party will see the words "Libertarian Party" and think to
        themselves "some other party -- not mine!"

        Thanks to all who gave input and support to make this project possible.
        I expect to be distributing DVDs to the House Committees starting
        January 19th. By the end of January, all Reps, Senators, Executive
        Councilors, and the Governor will each have a copy.

        Going forward, I would appreciate it very much if each of you would do
        three things to help make this experiment a success:

        1) Contact your Reps and Senators by phone or email and give them your
        opinion on upcoming legislation
        <http://www.nhliberty.org/upcoming_house_hearings> (the linked page
        should contain data in the next few days; bookmark and check it
        frequently!)

        2) Refer back to the philosophy of liberty when you do contact them. Ask
        if they watched the video. Request, as a constituent who believes deeply
        in the philosophy, that they do so. Offer to answer any questions they
        may have.

        3) Publicize the experiment. Write about it on blogs, websites,
        pro-liberty discussion lists, and in Letters to the Editor.

        Thanks again,
        -Denis

      • Sandy Pierre
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2009
          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Goddard"
          <denis.goddard@...> wrote:

          > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
          > <jsorens@> wrote:
          > > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
          > > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're probably
          > > more likely to watch in the first place.
          >
          > That's bloody brilliant!
          >
          > If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such a
          > survey.
          > If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%
          >
          > Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
          > Deadline: Friday, Jan 16

          Denis, I'll submit a survey to you by Friday, Jan. 16th. I understand
          if you decide to go with a different version.

          --Sandy
        • Michael Gilson-DeLemos
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
            I strongly encourage this.

            In 2002 we did a similar thing in Florida. We included the Advocates
            QUIZ in a SASE and followed up with e-mails, phone calls, and a copy
            of our newsletter. We also did the same with media that had in past
            written about Libertarians, and selected community and other leaders.
            The results were excellent in terms of meeting people, developing
            relations, and pushing legislation since then. We did a mailer for
            some and an e-mail with links for others, and as long as there was
            follow up the results were good.

            This also works well at the local level, resulting in speaking
            invitations and suggestions of advisory board appointive
            opportunities.

            Keep up the good work!

            MG

            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Pierre"
            <scitarel@...> wrote:

            > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Goddard"
            > <denis.goddard@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
            > > <jsorens@> wrote:
            > > > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
            > > > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're
            probably
            > > > more likely to watch in the first place.
            > >
            > > That's bloody brilliant!
            > >
            > > If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such
            > > survey.
            > > If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%
            > >
            > > Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
            > > Deadline: Friday, Jan 16
            > >

            > Denis, I'll submit a survey to you by Friday, Jan. 16th. I
            understand
            > if you decide to go with a different version.
            >
            > --Sandy

          • Denis Goddard
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 23, 2009
              A few weeks ago, I posted on my blog
              <http://freestateblogs.net/pol_dvd_4_leg> the idea to give a copy of
              the Philosphy of Liberty animation <http://philosophy.nhliberty.org/>
              and cover letter <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> to
              every member of the NH legislature.

              Thanks to generous donations from a number of people, this project is
              now a reality. I just got the DVDs delivered today; this weekend I'll be
              getting copies of the cover letters
              <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> and an accompanying
              questionnaire.

              The next step is to get these in the hands of the legislature, starting
              with the House. The plan is to place them on the desks of House
              Committee members just before the public hearings.

              This Tuesday, Feb 27th, most committees will be having hearings. Alone,
              I can manage only 1 or 2 committees'-worth of discs, so I'll be hitting
              Commerce
              <http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?\
              code=H43> and Municipal & County Government
              <http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?\
              code=H18> .

              If you can help, and can commit to meeting me at the State House
              Cafeteria at 8:30 AM, please shoot me an email or post on the NHLA
              Forum, here
              <http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=1688.msg12768#msg12768>
              . Should take us only a few minutes. Of course, there are some
              interesting hearings
              <http://www.nhliberty.org/upcoming_house_hearings?year=2009&impact=10&ne\
              xt_days=5> going on that morning -- I'll be staying for at least one of
              those.

              Thanks,
              -Denis