Philosophy of Liberty DVD for NH Legislators

  • Denis Goddard
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
      What is the greatest obstacle to getting people to truly agree with the
      pro-Liberty message?
      Simple -- it is getting them to understand that Government is force. As
      George Washington put it, "Government is not reason, it is not
      eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful
      master."

      One someone understands this about Government, they have begun the slow
      process of discovering Liberty.

      The NH House and Senate are about to come into session. Many of the
      legislators will be first-term newbies. Many more -- the vast majority
      -- have never come across the message of freedom and liberty in a clear,
      digestible format.

      We have a golden opportunity now. For the first time, we have multiple,
      libertarian Free-Staters elected to both major parties and sitting on
      multiple House committees. These people will be making our message known
      to the other legislators. But, as with any advertisement, that message
      needs to come from multiple different channels and to be presented in a
      variety of media to be an effective "sale"

      The Philosophy of Liberty animation
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I> is a perfect way to get
      across our pro-Liberty message. This 8-minute animation is simple enough
      for a child to understand -- perhaps even simple enough for a Legislator
      to comprehend. It's also something that Democrats and Republicans alike
      can find "hooks" to agree with.

      A few months ago, I floated the idea of making 425 DVD copies of this
      animation, along with a cover letter, and giving one to each NH State
      Rep and Senator. Several of you responded positively. Well, I have gone
      ahead and done precisely that. The order for 500 such discs is on the
      way (there was a price break; 500 costs less than 425)

      Accompanying each disk is this cover letter
      <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> . I will hand-deliver
      these DVDs & cover letters to the various committees over the course of
      the next 3 weeks (ie, I'll distribute them to the Judiciary committee
      one day; to Commerce another, etc., etc)

      If any Porc would like to help defray the cost of this undertaking,
      please feel free to do so; here is the ChipIn link
      <http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/d5a0e4b86a687f2f> .

      This is a brand-new experiment. The animation has been around for years,
      but to the best of my knowledge, never before in history has an entire
      legislative body been exposed to the message in this form. At least
      among Liberty-oriented circles, this is quite a newsworthy event -- just
      the kind of thing that makes the FSP unique!
      This legislative session, any time you contact a State Rep -- whether to
      talk about marijuana policy reform, education, gun rights, or mandatory
      seat-belts -- you will know for sure they have a copy of this video. You
      don't have to start from "Square One"; you can refer back to this video.
      When you call them, it will not be the first time they have heard that
      "government is force" -- not even the second time.

      I do not believe that simply getting these DVDs into the hands of the
      legislature will suddenly turn New Hampshire into a truly Free State. I
      do believe, however, that a few bucks from you could bring about a
      powerful political experiment that has never before been tried in the
      history of the United States.

      Please, if you value the effort I have put forth over the past few
      years, take a moment now to chip in and help me in this one.

      Thank you.
      -Denis

    • Ian Freeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
        Good idea. You may want to consider following up to see if they watched.
        Ian

      • Jason P Sorens
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Freeman" <ian@...> wrote:

          > Good idea. You may want to consider following up to see if they
          watched.
          > Ian

          They wouldn't want to feel obligated to watch, but one idea would be
          to include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
          feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're probably
          more likely to watch in the first place.
        • Denis Goddard
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2009
            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
            <jsorens@...> wrote:
            > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
            > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're probably
            > more likely to watch in the first place.

            That's bloody brilliant!

            If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such a
            survey.
            If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%

            Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
            Deadline: Friday, Jan 16
          • Denis Goddard
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 11, 2009
              Based on all the input I've received from several people, and carefully
              considering the best return on this investment, I am going forward with
              this libertarian outreach under the NHLA "brand". The updated cover
              letter is here <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> .

              The prime goal of this experiment is to help, in some small way, to make
              New Hampshire a freer state. That means, making Liberty both
              understandable, and desirable, to more of the people in government. A
              secondary goal is to publicize this outreach. The most compelling
              argument, to my mind, was the observation that members of either major
              political party will see the words "Libertarian Party" and think to
              themselves "some other party -- not mine!"

              Thanks to all who gave input and support to make this project possible.
              I expect to be distributing DVDs to the House Committees starting
              January 19th. By the end of January, all Reps, Senators, Executive
              Councilors, and the Governor will each have a copy.

              Going forward, I would appreciate it very much if each of you would do
              three things to help make this experiment a success:

              1) Contact your Reps and Senators by phone or email and give them your
              opinion on upcoming legislation
              <http://www.nhliberty.org/upcoming_house_hearings> (the linked page
              should contain data in the next few days; bookmark and check it
              frequently!)

              2) Refer back to the philosophy of liberty when you do contact them. Ask
              if they watched the video. Request, as a constituent who believes deeply
              in the philosophy, that they do so. Offer to answer any questions they
              may have.

              3) Publicize the experiment. Write about it on blogs, websites,
              pro-liberty discussion lists, and in Letters to the Editor.

              Thanks again,
              -Denis

            • Sandy Pierre
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 12, 2009
                --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Goddard"
                <denis.goddard@...> wrote:

                > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
                > <jsorens@> wrote:
                > > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
                > > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're probably
                > > more likely to watch in the first place.
                >
                > That's bloody brilliant!
                >
                > If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such a
                > survey.
                > If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%
                >
                > Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
                > Deadline: Friday, Jan 16

                Denis, I'll submit a survey to you by Friday, Jan. 16th. I understand
                if you decide to go with a different version.

                --Sandy
              • Michael Gilson-DeLemos
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
                  I strongly encourage this.

                  In 2002 we did a similar thing in Florida. We included the Advocates
                  QUIZ in a SASE and followed up with e-mails, phone calls, and a copy
                  of our newsletter. We also did the same with media that had in past
                  written about Libertarians, and selected community and other leaders.
                  The results were excellent in terms of meeting people, developing
                  relations, and pushing legislation since then. We did a mailer for
                  some and an e-mail with links for others, and as long as there was
                  follow up the results were good.

                  This also works well at the local level, resulting in speaking
                  invitations and suggestions of advisory board appointive
                  opportunities.

                  Keep up the good work!

                  MG

                  --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Pierre"
                  <scitarel@...> wrote:

                  > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Goddard"
                  > <denis.goddard@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
                  > > <jsorens@> wrote:
                  > > > include a survey with the DVD and say, "We would like your
                  > > > feedback!" If they get to tell you something back, they're
                  probably
                  > > > more likely to watch in the first place.
                  > >
                  > > That's bloody brilliant!
                  > >
                  > > If left to my own devices, there's a 50% chance I'll include such
                  > > survey.
                  > > If ANYONE provides me with a survey to include, that jumps to 100%
                  > >
                  > > Jason, I'm looking at you... but I'll take any submissions I get!
                  > > Deadline: Friday, Jan 16
                  > >

                  > Denis, I'll submit a survey to you by Friday, Jan. 16th. I
                  understand
                  > if you decide to go with a different version.
                  >
                  > --Sandy

                • Denis Goddard
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 23, 2009
                    A few weeks ago, I posted on my blog
                    <http://freestateblogs.net/pol_dvd_4_leg> the idea to give a copy of
                    the Philosphy of Liberty animation <http://philosophy.nhliberty.org/>
                    and cover letter <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> to
                    every member of the NH legislature.

                    Thanks to generous donations from a number of people, this project is
                    now a reality. I just got the DVDs delivered today; this weekend I'll be
                    getting copies of the cover letters
                    <http://freestateblogs.net/files/PoL4Legs.pdf> and an accompanying
                    questionnaire.

                    The next step is to get these in the hands of the legislature, starting
                    with the House. The plan is to place them on the desks of House
                    Committee members just before the public hearings.

                    This Tuesday, Feb 27th, most committees will be having hearings. Alone,
                    I can manage only 1 or 2 committees'-worth of discs, so I'll be hitting
                    Commerce
                    <http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?\
                    code=H43> and Municipal & County Government
                    <http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?\
                    code=H18> .

                    If you can help, and can commit to meeting me at the State House
                    Cafeteria at 8:30 AM, please shoot me an email or post on the NHLA
                    Forum, here
                    <http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=1688.msg12768#msg12768>
                    . Should take us only a few minutes. Of course, there are some
                    interesting hearings
                    <http://www.nhliberty.org/upcoming_house_hearings?year=2009&impact=10&ne\
                    xt_days=5> going on that morning -- I'll be staying for at least one of
                    those.

                    Thanks,
                    -Denis