Re: [lists] [FSP] Country place for rent cheap

  • GTriest
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24 11:17 PM
      What a great idea to be expanded.

      Couldn't we as the collective of FreeStaters make a more formal arrangement to make moving to NH a lot more appealing and easy?
      A plug and play type of move to NH, easy diggs, easy job, easy social integration (e.g., clubs, meets, klatsches, etc).

      I have begun to view the move to NH as a romantical adventure; I envision an apt in an intermediate urbane environs, and exciting new social and experiencial opportunities just awaiting me outside.
      I could easily live that real life fantasy for couple years just coasting.

      Just my too sense.

      Gary T

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25 8:55 AM
        If it were only that easy. I've been trying to plan a move to NH since I
        signed the Pledge. I have had my jobs here go up in smoke, the business
        where my husband worked go belly up, our mortgage rise, and then there's the
        issue of finding a place to live and work in NH through the internet. I was
        there in late July, spoke with a realtor in Nashua, spoke with and and left
        my resume at too many places to count, and am in the same place as I was. I
        at least have friends up there who have been looking out for me, but the
        biggest problems I seem to have is my resume still lists Georgia as a home
        address and I apparently have a long enough job history that I'm too
        experienced and require too much money. Oh, and the difference I'm going to
        come up against with the cost of housing is pretty scary.

        How do other people cope with a major long distance move?

        Lynne (who will be bringing her husband, two Irish wolfhounds, one teeny
        bull terrier and two cats with her to NH as soon as she can manage it)

        On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:17 AM, GTriest <garyonthenet@...> wrote:

        > What a great idea to be expanded.
        >
        > Couldn't we as the collective of FreeStaters make a more formal
        > arrangement to make moving to NH a lot more appealing and easy?
        > A plug and play type of move to NH, easy diggs, easy job, easy social
        > integration (e.g., clubs, meets, klatsches, etc).
        >
        > I have begun to view the move to NH as a romantical adventure; I envision
        > an apt in an intermediate urbane environs, and exciting new social and
        > experiencial opportunities just awaiting me outside.
        > I could easily live that real life fantasy for couple years just coasting.
        >
        > Just my too sense.
        >
        > Gary T

      • Ron Helwig
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25 9:19 AM
          You mean like http://porcmanor.com ?

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25 11:21 AM
            Thanks, Ron. I didn't know about that site, and I'm bookmarking it for
            constant review.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26 11:15 PM
              Lynne:

              Well, as you say IF only it were that easy.

              Ergo the suggestion that a semi-formal group of the FSP act as a welcoming committee, to ease the transition of what is generally a major life shift in moving to a new state.
              Presuming that most people are ultimately self-supporting and have marketable skills, such an organization would act as a temporary buffer, and provide expedited connections for FSP immigrants so as to let them quickly get up to speed in living in NH.

              Such an organization would be a major catalyst for the influx of large numbers of FSP'ers, providing a tipping point for people just about ready to move to NH, but are held back by the daunting anticipation of all the little anticipated snafus.

              There are many prior analogies for such organizations in religious exoduses, where the receiving population makes it easy for new arrivals.
              Perhaps a portion of donations can be allocated for this, or a line item donation option can be offered to FSP participants for this purpose.

              Ideas, folks, these new movements thrive on ideas.

              Gary T