Re: [FSP] Re: If New Hampshire is so 'free'...

  • Chris Lawless
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008

      > I recently read an article that said that New
      > Hampshire had the fastest
      > growth rate of any state in the New England area.
      > With this being the
      > case, do you think that the FSP movers who are
      > liberty friendly will be
      > able to overcome the big government types who are
      > "deluded" into believing that they can move and then
      vote for the same things and have it turn out
      differently? I am not being overly critical of the
      FSP, this is a legit question. I mean I want to join
      but if I am going to pick up and move all the way
      across the country, I want to succeed at
      > it, not just move and find out its the same as AZ -
      > AZ used to be a lot more Libertarian but we have
      many Californians moving in and they are
      > changing this state too.
      >
      > Derek

      I moved from CA to NH 2 years ago.
      I don't think that the MA people moving in are trying
      to change things. We hear that a lot but I don't
      think it is true. Many of the MA people are moving to
      Southern NH. Those areas tend to have the most
      'conservative' reps (many on 'our' side). This tends
      to make us wonder if people who are sick of high taxes
      in MA are the ones moving to NH. (An old timer of NH
      once told me.. that they complain about MAssholes but
      it is the NJ and CT people who want the services).

      20K is not needed with only 500 or so of us in state
      (along with native friendlies) we are doing more and
      more each month. About 5000 and you will see real
      change. Remember..each FSP person who moves tends to
      be much more active then just a 'regular' person moving.

      It is time for a new direction:
      www.ronpaulhq.com
      www.flytoliberty.com

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Jon Isaac
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
        A good question, Derek. I wonder if anything short of a new media with
        years of re-education will bring about the radical change for which
        most of us dream.

        On Feb 13, 2008 11:55 AM, Derek Williams <desertwolf210@...> wrote:

        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dmenglert@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Simon Jester <tanstaafl@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > why did Ron Paul do so badly there?
        > > >
        > > > Not trolling, I'm just curious... and surprised, actually...
        > > >

        > > NH has been slowly invaded by people from Massachusetts, who wanted to
        > > get away from the Bay State, but unfortunately suffered from the
        > > delusion that supporting the same policies and types of people they
        > > did in Massachusetts would yield them different results.
        > >

        > If NH is being slowly invaded by people from Mass., and they keep
        > voting for the same old stuff they were trying to escape from in Mass,
        > then will 20,000 liberty movers even be able to make a difference??? I
        > mean, 20k is just a small percentage of the population of Mass, and you
        > could get that many movers easily (per year) coming in from Mass. and
        > other neighboring big government New England states.
        >
        > I recently read an article that said that New Hampshire had the fastest
        > growth rate of any state in the New England area. With this being the
        > case, do you think that the FSP movers who are liberty friendly will be
        > able to overcome the big government types who are "deluded" into
        > believing that they can move and then vote for the same things and have
        > it turn out differently? I am not being overly critical of the FSP,
        > this is a legit question. I mean I want to join but if I am going to
        > pick up and move all the way across the country, I want to succeed at
        > it, not just move and find out its the same as AZ - AZ used to be a lot
        > more Libertarian but we have many Californians moving in and they are
        > changing this state too.
        >
        > Derek

      • Chris Lawless
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
          Other states have "open primaries" (such as New
          > Hampshire), where Republicans or
          > Democrats can "cross over" and vote for a candidate
          > on the other party's
          > ballot. In Florida only registered Dems or GOPs can
          > vote in the party
          > primaries. Other states have different rules. --Tim
          > Condon

          Sorry Tim one small correction.
          NH does not have an open primary.
          GOPers and UNDeclareds can vote in the GOP Primary and
          Democrats cannot.
          DEMS and UNDeclareds can vote in the DEM Primary and
          Republicans cannot.

          You had to have been registered in your party (or
          Undeclared) by Oct 12, 2007 to vote in the Jan 8, 2008 primary.

          It is time for a new direction:
          www.ronpaulhq.com
          www.flytoliberty.com

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • John flynn
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
            Thanks to all who helped to concisely clarify the answer to my queston. So, the way I see it, the changes are going to occur at a faster and more comprehensive rate AFTER the Nary Jane laws are changed to reflect less criminalization of "offenders". That will get us a lot closer, liberty-wise, in the ever-so-watchful eyes of the nation. Thus proving the collective us to be actually putting more of our money where are mouths are. Talk about increasing the attractiveness of a state to potential liberty-minded people. It may seem like a relatively trivial and small item to many, especially the non-smokers and those who have nobody in chronic pain whose lives are managed with a greater deal of quality due to their "abuse" of an herb, but to many other, worldly, sophisticated, and believers in true liberty, the issue is representative of forward thinking. Its the pot-heads and stoned out idiots that set such negativity about smoking marijuana, and luckily those idiots are far outweighed by the casual and nedicinal users of a more elevated intellect.
            I am very curious to see how it progresses along this term, or to see whether it "withers on the vine" so to speak, tongue in cheek. Not trying to use this as a forum, there are plenty already for that. Just trying to tie liberty, libertarianism, freedom, and intelligence together under an umbrella of sorts.
            That being said, I have to figure out where I put the lighter last time it was used.

            To: freestateproject@yahoogroups.comFrom: dreepa@...: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:42:57 -0800Subject: Re: [FSP] Re: If New Hampshire is so 'free'...

            Other states have "open primaries" (such as New> Hampshire), where Republicans or> Democrats can "cross over" and vote for a candidate> on the other party's> ballot. In Florida only registered Dems or GOPs can> vote in the party> primaries. Other states have different rules. --Tim> Condon> Sorry Tim one small correction.NH does not have an open primary.GOPers and UNDeclareds can vote in the GOP Primary andDemocrats cannot.DEMS and UNDeclareds can vote in the DEM Primary andRepublicans cannot.You had to have been registered in your party (orUndeclared) by Oct 12, 2007 to vote in the Jan 8, 2008 primary.It is time for a new direction:www.ronpaulhq.comwww.flytoliberty.com__________________________________________________________Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
              > NH has been slowly invaded by people from Massachusetts, who wanted to

              > > get away from the Bay State, but unfortunately suffered from the
              > > delusion that supporting the same policies and types of people they
              > > did in Massachusetts would yield them different results.
              > >

              > If NH is being slowly invaded by people from Mass., and they keep
              > voting for the same old stuff they were trying to escape from in Mass ....

              This is not totally true. Although "some" people who move in from Mass. vote
              to screw up NH in the same way that Mass. is scewed up, many more of them
              vote conservative Republican. Some of the most reliable Republican districts
              in the state are clustered along the Mass. border. The problem now of course
              is that Republicans don't act like Republicans, they often act like
              big-government pigs at the trough. They are known as RINO's, and must be
              expunged from the party and from political office. This is a long-term goal
              of the RLCNH.

              > ,
              > ...then will 20,000 liberty movers even be able to make a difference???

              Yes, and here's why: 20,000 honest-to-goodness political activists---that
              is, people who actually go out and hit the street and get the jobs
              done---would have a disproportionate impact in ANY state, no matter how
              large. It's difficult to underestimate the impact that real committed
              activists can have. This has shown up already in New Hampshire in various
              ways, even though a distressingly large number of incoming Freestaters get
              here, and then just sit back to enjoy the camaraderie other other
              freedom-lovers. Or, worse yet, they're a certain type of typical libertarian
              who would rather argue abstruse issues of political philosophy, or run their
              mouths about how they're gonna do this and they're gonna do that when the
              revolution comes...but wouldn't dream of actually canvassing, making phone
              calls, drafting letters, getting printing done, distributing yard signs,
              writing speeches, driving a candidate around, attending meetings and taking
              notes, doing political research, finding favorable voters, poring through
              voting lists, poring through checklists, organizing rallies, organizing
              Republican clubs, and all the other million-and-one things that must be done
              to mount any kind of reasonable campaign. This is why the Democrats are so
              much more effective than Republicans; Democratic voters feed off of tax
              money and the size of government...the bigger the better. Thus, there are
              *tons* of public employee and other union members who are directly and
              favorably impacted by increased taxes, increased spending, and increased
              employee rolls at all levels of government. That is why they can be depended
              upon at all times to do what Freestaters are supposed to be doing at all
              times (but very often don't). Finally, this is why Thomas Jefferson famously
              observed that "the natural order of things is for liberty to give way and
              for government to grow." It is just the way the world works, as explained
              above. The Free State Project is an audacious plan birthed by Jason to
              *reverse* "the natural order of things." If we can get only about 5,000
              real-to-life on-the-street political activists in this state, we will be
              able to challenge the embedded big-government special interests on their own
              turf, head-on. If the FSP plan comes to fruition, and there are 20,000
              actual "real" on-the-street political activists, freedom-lovers will be able
              to look with pride upon the state legislature, the governorship, and
              ultimately the judiciary also.

              > I mean, 20k is just a small percentage of the population of Mass, and you
              > could get that many movers easily (per year) coming in from Mass. and
              > other neighboring big government New England states.

              But the 20K that may or may not be otherwise moving in aren't actively
              working political activists. It makes a huge difference. Most people just
              want to be left alone, and political activism isn't a large part of their
              raison d'etre. Thus, they can be convinced to vote for freedom, if the right
              candidates are presented and the benefits are convincingly shown. The true
              measure of how much impact one group or another will have is how organized
              and activist they are. This is why Goldwater conservatives and
              libertarian-conservatives are more important when moving into NH than
              "purist libertarians." The latter like to talk, and not much else. The
              former like action, and results.

              > I recently read an article that said that New Hampshire had the fastest
              > growth rate of any state in the New England area. With this being the
              > case, do you think that the FSP movers who are liberty friendly will be
              > able to overcome the big government types who are "deluded" into
              > believing that they can move and then vote for the same things and have
              > it turn out differently? I am not being overly critical of the FSP,
              > this is a legit question. I mean I want to join but if I am going to
              > pick up and move all the way across the country, I want to succeed at
              > it, not just move and find out its the same as AZ - AZ used to be a lot
              > more Libertarian but we have many Californians moving in and they are
              > changing this state too.

              The economic prospects of Massachusetts, and even more Vermont, are in the
              toilet because of their huge governments in relation to their population,
              their onerous taxes, their endless bureaucracies, their unending mandates
              and demands in all walks of life. The reason new Hampshire is so far
              superior, and why its population is growing so much, is because we are
              *successful*. Low taxes, small government, few restrictions, personal
              freedoms, property rights, etc. It is true that people from collectivist
              states will continue to move in and try like termites to eat away at the
              foundations of our success...they do that anywhere and everywhere in the
              world! Our job as Freestaters, and the beginning of a titanic struggle, is
              to make sure that "New Hampshire stays New Hampshire." This is why we're
              being welcomed by so many native freedom-lovers, who are far more numerous
              per capital in NH than in any other state. That is why New Hampshire was a
              good choice, and is the best place to "make our stand," and reverse
              Jefferson's lament regarding "the natural order of things." ---Tim Condon

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
                Chris is correct below. If you're an undeclared, you can "jump" temporarily
                into registering with either political party, to vote in that party's
                primary; most people then immediately jump back to undeclared. Registered
                Repubs and registered Dems can vote in other other party's primary. Thanx
                for the clarification, Chris. ---Tim C.

                On Feb 13, 2008 1:42 PM, Chris Lawless <dreepa@...> wrote:

                > Other states have "open primaries" (such as New
                > > Hampshire), where Republicans or
                > > Democrats can "cross over" and vote for a candidate
                > > on the other party's
                > > ballot. In Florida only registered Dems or GOPs can
                > > vote in the party
                > > primaries. Other states have different rules. --Tim
                > > Condon
                > >

                > Sorry Tim one small correction.
                > NH does not have an open primary.
                > GOPers and UNDeclareds can vote in the GOP Primary and
                > Democrats cannot.
                > DEMS and UNDeclareds can vote in the DEM Primary and
                > Republicans cannot.
                >
                > You had to have been registered in your party (or
                > Undeclared) by Oct 12, 2007 to vote in the Jan 8, 2008 primary.
                >
                > It is time for a new direction:
                > www.ronpaulhq.com
                > www.flytoliberty.com

              • GTriest
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 14, 2008
                  Jason's explanation cleared things up immeasurably for me.
                  Now your new post has messed it up again ;-)

                  Could you describe as succinctly as Jason?

                  Gary T

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 14, 2008
                    I'm going to go out on a limb a bit and say that Tim is wrong. :-D A
                    "primary" and a "caucus" are different types of nominating procedures.
                    I would not consider a "caucus," which is essentially a meeting of
                    party members, like a convention, to be a type of "primary," which is
                    an election open to the general public, subject (in some cases) to
                    party registration.

                    Tim is right about the distinction between "open" and "closed"
                    primaries (NH is often called "semi-closed," since independents can
                    choose which ballot to take, but Reps and Dems must take their party's
                    ballot), but this distinction does not apply to caucuses, which are
                    always closed.

                    Here's Wikipedia's article on primary elections:

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election

                    --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "GTriest" <garyonthenet@...>

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 14, 2008
                      Heh! I think Jason is technically right with respect to "caucuses" being
                      technically different from and not exactly "primaries." HOWEVER...remember
                      all the hoopla about "the Iowa primary"? And about the recent "Washington
                      state primary"? Both are caucus states. Thus, in the popular idiom, they're
                      *all* (both "voter" elections and "caucus" elections) "primaries." (I
                      know...it's confusing, I'll grant *anyone* that.) ---Tim

                    • David Lubkin
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 19, 2008
                        Tim Condon wrote:

                        >This is why Goldwater conservatives and libertarian-conservatives
                        >are more important when moving into NH than "purist libertarians."
                        >The latter like to talk, and not much else. The former like action,
                        >and results.

                        Parenthetically, I've been wearing a "Goldwater in 1964" button on my
                        lapel since just after the 2004 election.

                        It's been very effective as an outreach tool. He is remembered very
                        favorably by all political stripes. The button usually sparks a
                        conversation about principle, integrity, personal responsibility, and
                        limited government.

                        -- David.