Re: [NHPorcupines-announce] NH State Guard / Constitutional Militia,

  • Denis Goddard
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Marie Angell <mhangell@...>
      wrote:

      > I would like to make a point or two about militias based on
      experience in Texas.

      With all due respect, I suspect your usage of the term 'militia'
      differs from the usage that was in place at the time of the
      ratification of the various State Constitutions, and of the general
      Constitution.

      By definition, a constitutional militia is a creation of the
      government. Its parameters must be described in state statute; it is
      expressly *not* a private organization. Was this the case in Texas?

      For the record, I was completely ignorant of these facts before doing
      some research. I would recommend reading anything by Dr. Edwin Vieira.
      Another (free) option would be to check out NH State Rep. Dan Itse's
      book-in-progress, "The People's Liberty".
      http://www.nhliberty.org/nh_constitution_class

      > they are looked upon with suspicion by many people.

      Absolutely.
      Education is an integral part of the New Hampshire effort to raise a
      State militia -- especially, education of the legislators.

      > There is a high likelihood that such a militia will be investigated
      by governmental agencies such as the FBI and Homeland Security.

      A militia created by a State government may well be opposed by the
      Feds. On the other hand, such a militia would seem to have pretty
      solid Constitutional grounds for bringing suit against any Federal
      agency that would attempt to curtail it.

      > In Texas, the militia feared scrutiny, certain individuals became
      rather enthralled with their power and much of what transpired was
      "playing at militia" rather than behaving in a manner consistent with
      well-regulated citizen soldiers.

      Again, if the "militia" was not created by the Legislature and
      approved by the Executive, it was in fact "playing at militia", by
      definition.

      And again, I don't mean in any way to disparage any enthusiasm -- lord
      knows we *always* need more enthusiasm! It's just a matter of being
      sure that we have done all the research. It also helps to have
      constitutional scholars and sitting members of the state legislature
      involved in organizing the effort!

      -Denis
    • freemktmama
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
        At the time the "Texas Constitutional Militia" was formed, I had the
        same questions about whether a "Constitutional Militia" would, by
        definition, be a government-initiated-sponsored organization.

        Since, of course, the State of Texas was not very inclined toward
        organizing a true citizen militia, there was what I considered some
        fancy footwork undertaken to go around this.

        I'm not a Constitutional scholar and I didn't undertake a deep
        research of the matter.

        I certainly think that when it comes to efforts such as this, which
        are serious and can do both great harm and great good, it is easy for
        the effort to sink and its members to get into real trouble.

        Even though I was on the periphery of the movement, I saw the danger
        signs and, in my view, it was fortunate that the Texas militia
        movement faded away before any tragedy (although there may be
        underground groups still in existence for all I know).

        I'm very pleased to see the thoughtful responses here.

        Best regards to all.

        Marie Angell