RE: [FSP] Re: [NHPorcupines-announce] NH State Guard / Constitutional Militia,

  • John flynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2007
      I would tend to (and I know a lot of people are going to detest what I am about to say) make some real-time comparisons to Curtis Slewa's Guardian Angels outfits. They grew in numbers, support, and maturity. Militias in general, and NH's in specific, might do well to familiarize itself with the GA's history and how they were perceived-thus treated, and how they overcame the sometimes aggressive reaction by mainstream citizens not to mention local police and los federales. John Flynn McGondel.

      To: freestateproject@yahoogroups.comFrom: mhangell@...: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:46:34 -0600Subject: [FSP] Re: [NHPorcupines-announce] NH State Guard / Constitutional Militia,

      I would like to make a point or two about militias based on experience in Texas.While there is nothing wrong with an appropriately configured militia, they are looked upon with suspicion by many people. Therefore, it is imperative that the militia behave in a manner that is above reproach, open and above-board.There is a high likelihood that such a militia will be investigated by governmental agencies such as the FBI and Homeland Security. Although it is wrong, it is important to recognize this and not be paranoid about it.And, speaking of paranoia, it is of the utmost importance to not succumb to paranoia and conspiracy theories, no matter how ardently individual members may believe them. Actions should be well thought out and reserved for truly emergency situations. Paranoia can lead to succumbing to inappropriate actions suggested by government undercover agents.In Texas, the militia feared scrutiny, certain individuals became rather enthralled with their power and much of what transpired was "playing at militia" rather than behaving in a manner consistent with well-regulated citizen soldiers. Focus on training and community service until times of real emergency.Follow the Davy Crockett dictum: Make sure you're right and then go ahead.Marie Angell

    • Denis Goddard
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Marie Angell <mhangell@...>
        wrote:

        > I would like to make a point or two about militias based on
        experience in Texas.

        With all due respect, I suspect your usage of the term 'militia'
        differs from the usage that was in place at the time of the
        ratification of the various State Constitutions, and of the general
        Constitution.

        By definition, a constitutional militia is a creation of the
        government. Its parameters must be described in state statute; it is
        expressly *not* a private organization. Was this the case in Texas?

        For the record, I was completely ignorant of these facts before doing
        some research. I would recommend reading anything by Dr. Edwin Vieira.
        Another (free) option would be to check out NH State Rep. Dan Itse's
        book-in-progress, "The People's Liberty".
        http://www.nhliberty.org/nh_constitution_class

        > they are looked upon with suspicion by many people.

        Absolutely.
        Education is an integral part of the New Hampshire effort to raise a
        State militia -- especially, education of the legislators.

        > There is a high likelihood that such a militia will be investigated
        by governmental agencies such as the FBI and Homeland Security.

        A militia created by a State government may well be opposed by the
        Feds. On the other hand, such a militia would seem to have pretty
        solid Constitutional grounds for bringing suit against any Federal
        agency that would attempt to curtail it.

        > In Texas, the militia feared scrutiny, certain individuals became
        rather enthralled with their power and much of what transpired was
        "playing at militia" rather than behaving in a manner consistent with
        well-regulated citizen soldiers.

        Again, if the "militia" was not created by the Legislature and
        approved by the Executive, it was in fact "playing at militia", by
        definition.

        And again, I don't mean in any way to disparage any enthusiasm -- lord
        knows we *always* need more enthusiasm! It's just a matter of being
        sure that we have done all the research. It also helps to have
        constitutional scholars and sitting members of the state legislature
        involved in organizing the effort!

        -Denis
      • freemktmama
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
          At the time the "Texas Constitutional Militia" was formed, I had the
          same questions about whether a "Constitutional Militia" would, by
          definition, be a government-initiated-sponsored organization.

          Since, of course, the State of Texas was not very inclined toward
          organizing a true citizen militia, there was what I considered some
          fancy footwork undertaken to go around this.

          I'm not a Constitutional scholar and I didn't undertake a deep
          research of the matter.

          I certainly think that when it comes to efforts such as this, which
          are serious and can do both great harm and great good, it is easy for
          the effort to sink and its members to get into real trouble.

          Even though I was on the periphery of the movement, I saw the danger
          signs and, in my view, it was fortunate that the Texas militia
          movement faded away before any tragedy (although there may be
          underground groups still in existence for all I know).

          I'm very pleased to see the thoughtful responses here.

          Best regards to all.

          Marie Angell