Re: [NHPorcupines-announce] NH State Guard / Constitutional Militia,

  • Marie Angell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2007
      I would like to make a point or two about militias based on experience
      in Texas.

      While there is nothing wrong with an appropriately configured militia,
      they are looked upon with suspicion by many people. Therefore, it is
      imperative that the militia behave in a manner that is above reproach,
      open and above-board.

      There is a high likelihood that such a militia will be investigated by
      governmental agencies such as the FBI and Homeland Security. Although it
      is wrong, it is important to recognize this and not be paranoid about it.

      And, speaking of paranoia, it is of the utmost importance to not succumb
      to paranoia and conspiracy theories, no matter how ardently individual
      members may believe them. Actions should be well thought out and
      reserved for truly emergency situations. Paranoia can lead to succumbing
      to inappropriate actions suggested by government undercover agents.

      In Texas, the militia feared scrutiny, certain individuals became rather
      enthralled with their power and much of what transpired was "playing at
      militia" rather than behaving in a manner consistent with well-regulated
      citizen soldiers. Focus on training and community service until times of
      real emergency.

      Follow the Davy Crockett dictum: Make sure you're right and then go ahead.

      Marie Angell
    • John flynn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2007
        I would tend to (and I know a lot of people are going to detest what I am about to say) make some real-time comparisons to Curtis Slewa's Guardian Angels outfits. They grew in numbers, support, and maturity. Militias in general, and NH's in specific, might do well to familiarize itself with the GA's history and how they were perceived-thus treated, and how they overcame the sometimes aggressive reaction by mainstream citizens not to mention local police and los federales. John Flynn McGondel.

        To: freestateproject@yahoogroups.comFrom: mhangell@...: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:46:34 -0600Subject: [FSP] Re: [NHPorcupines-announce] NH State Guard / Constitutional Militia,

[...]

      • Denis Goddard
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Marie Angell <mhangell@...>
          wrote:

          > I would like to make a point or two about militias based on
          experience in Texas.

          With all due respect, I suspect your usage of the term 'militia'
          differs from the usage that was in place at the time of the
          ratification of the various State Constitutions, and of the general
          Constitution.

          By definition, a constitutional militia is a creation of the
          government. Its parameters must be described in state statute; it is
          expressly *not* a private organization. Was this the case in Texas?

          For the record, I was completely ignorant of these facts before doing
          some research. I would recommend reading anything by Dr. Edwin Vieira.
          Another (free) option would be to check out NH State Rep. Dan Itse's
          book-in-progress, "The People's Liberty".
          http://www.nhliberty.org/nh_constitution_class

          > they are looked upon with suspicion by many people.

          Absolutely.
          Education is an integral part of the New Hampshire effort to raise a
          State militia -- especially, education of the legislators.

          > There is a high likelihood that such a militia will be investigated
          by governmental agencies such as the FBI and Homeland Security.

          A militia created by a State government may well be opposed by the
          Feds. On the other hand, such a militia would seem to have pretty
          solid Constitutional grounds for bringing suit against any Federal
          agency that would attempt to curtail it.

          > In Texas, the militia feared scrutiny, certain individuals became
          rather enthralled with their power and much of what transpired was
          "playing at militia" rather than behaving in a manner consistent with
          well-regulated citizen soldiers.

          Again, if the "militia" was not created by the Legislature and
          approved by the Executive, it was in fact "playing at militia", by
          definition.

          And again, I don't mean in any way to disparage any enthusiasm -- lord
          knows we *always* need more enthusiasm! It's just a matter of being
          sure that we have done all the research. It also helps to have
          constitutional scholars and sitting members of the state legislature
          involved in organizing the effort!

          -Denis
        • freemktmama
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
            At the time the "Texas Constitutional Militia" was formed, I had the
            same questions about whether a "Constitutional Militia" would, by
            definition, be a government-initiated-sponsored organization.

            Since, of course, the State of Texas was not very inclined toward
            organizing a true citizen militia, there was what I considered some
            fancy footwork undertaken to go around this.

            I'm not a Constitutional scholar and I didn't undertake a deep
            research of the matter.

            I certainly think that when it comes to efforts such as this, which
            are serious and can do both great harm and great good, it is easy for
            the effort to sink and its members to get into real trouble.

            Even though I was on the periphery of the movement, I saw the danger
            signs and, in my view, it was fortunate that the Texas militia
            movement faded away before any tragedy (although there may be
            underground groups still in existence for all I know).

            I'm very pleased to see the thoughtful responses here.

            Best regards to all.

            Marie Angell