Re: [FSP] Re: [porcfest2008] Gunstock?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 4, 2007
      On 9/4/07, Jason P Sorens <jsorens@...> wrote:

      > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Condon" <tim@...> wrote:
      >
      > > No way. I've been at every Rogers FSP party since before the choice
      > of NH as the Free State, and *never* was told "you can't go in there
      > unless
      > you pay."
      > > But Michele and I were told that at Gunstock.
      >
      > I wasn't at Gunstock, but at the first 3 PorcFests I was definitely
      > told I had to pay to get in, because I wasn't staying at Rogers. Also,
      > the owner called the cops on some of our guests, including Michael
      > Badnarik, & had their cars towed because they didn't pay.

      I didn't hear about that, and am sorry to hear it now.

      I've heard other stories about Rogers: drunk campers peeing on Free
      > Staters' tents...

      You'd have to talk to you-know-who about that, ahem.

      ...a bunch of white supremacists hassling Free Staters, & so on.

      Never heard about that either, nor was it anything I experienced. With that
      said, I'd much rather be hassled by white-supermacists than state security
      personnel. The former is easier to dispose of than the latter..

      Probably, neither place is ideal, but why not give Gunstock 1 more
      > chance? There's always '09 to return to Rogers if it still doesn't
      > work all that well.
      > Jason

      Well, I think Rogers was a good venue, but it's also true that we haven't
      really thought "outside the box" (the box being "it's got to be south of the
      notches"). I'd be perfectly willing to consider any other venues.

      On still the *other* hand...maybe the problem arises because we see the
      PorcFest in different lights. The group that ran it this year (and is
      apparently running it next year) sees it as a recruiting/educating/touring
      opportunity, and the talks, scheduling, bus tours, etc. reflect that
      priority. I have always seen the PorcFest (since I initiated the first one
      immediately after we chose the Free State) as a full-blown celebration, a
      party, if you will, with music, dancing, excessive alcohol intake (although
      *I* never peed on anyone's tent), a loud, boozy "Circle of Liberty" where
      everyone is importuned to have their say, gun shooting (albeit not while
      peeing on anyone's tent), and other various outre activities (I'd like to
      see a defiant, liberty-oriented poetry-reading myself)...but also with
      speechifying, vendors, info opportunities, etc. The main thing is bringing
      together "the folks." The most important aim at any PorcFest is for current
      and potential Porcupines to get together, mix, meet, and mingle. The
      Gunstock venue seemed to militate against that. Rogers is perfect for
      it...as long as we don't have problems with the owner, and prevent people
      from peeing in the wrong venues.... ---Tim Condon

    • Ron Helwig
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 4, 2007
        I never went to Rogers. I'm one of those who drove up to Gunstock on the
        days I wanted to be there. I liked being able to do that.

        Another reason in favor of Gunstock is that there are several businesses
        nearby that supposedly accept Liberty dollars.

      • David Mincin
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2007
          Having been to all the events, even Escape to NH a couple comments

          Liked the convience, and the state tours were great.

          The speaking events in the main building were poorly attended,
          and from what I understand so were most of the day events on
          site. A couple I went to had no people at all. Having to have to
          drive to get anywhere in a timely manner does not seem like
          camping to me.

          Many old friends, as well as newbie's I saw for a second and never
          saw again. Where were they? I thought PorcFest was about meeting
          and sharing some laughs with the new folks, Sharing our experiences
          in NH, and letting the folks know in a personal way what a terrific place
          NH is. I found that missing for the most part at Gunstock.

          Don't get me wrong...We had a great time Friday and Saturday night
          partying at Joel and Amy's site, but at most only a 1/2 dozen of the
          new folks found there way by. Rather defeats the purpose of the event,
          but was preferable to driving around in the dark, looking for something
          to do.

          I would suggest you look for a different venue, because quite frankly, my
          thought is, Gunstock was just not that great.

          Dave

          On 9/4/07, Tim Condon <tim@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > party, if you will, with music, dancing, excessive alcohol intake
          > (although
          > *I* never peed on anyone's tent), a loud, boozy "Circle of Liberty" where
          > everyone is importuned to have their say, gun shooting (albeit not while
          > peeing on anyone's tent), and other various outre activities (I'd like to
          > see a defiant, liberty-oriented poetry-reading myself)...but also with
          > speechifying, vendors, info opportunities, etc. The main thing is bringing
          > together "the folks." The most important aim at any PorcFest is for
          > current
          > and potential Porcupines to get together, mix, meet, and mingle. The
          > Gunstock venue seemed to militate against that. Rogers is perfect for
          > it...as long as we don't have problems with the owner, and prevent people
          > from peeing in the wrong venues.... ---Tim Condon

        • Orrin Converse
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 4, 2007
            > I have always seen the PorcFest (since I initiated the first one
            > immediately after we chose the Free State) as a full-blown
            > celebration, a
            > party, if you will, with music, dancing, excessive alcohol intake
            > (although
            > *I* never peed on anyone's tent), a loud, boozy "Circle of Liberty"
            > where
            > everyone is importuned to have their say, gun shooting (albeit not
            > while
            > peeing on anyone's tent), and other various outre activities (I'd
            > like to
            > see a defiant, liberty-oriented poetry-reading myself)...but also with
            > speechifying, vendors, info opportunities, etc. The main thing is
            > bringing
            > together "the folks." The most important aim at any PorcFest is for
            > current
            > and potential Porcupines to get together, mix, meet, and mingle. The
            > Gunstock venue seemed to militate against that. Rogers is perfect for
            > it...as long as we don't have problems with the owner, and prevent
            > people
            > from peeing in the wrong venues.... ---Tim Condon

            Sounds like the free market should prevail. Tim, you should run a
            Condon-fest replete with booze and wanton gluttony at Rogers as a venue
            for people who are interested in that sort of thing, and other people
            should run an event that's a little more demure as a recruiting tool
            for potential members and movers. Why does there only have to be one
            gathering per year? There doesn't need to be any competition or
            animosity. How about just a recognition that different people are
            interested in different things?

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 4, 2007
              Rich, you gathered surveys: maybe you could post the results on our
              web site?

              From literally my first minute at PF07 I was impressed by Gunstock's
              customer service. The security guy was tickled by all the porcupines
              carrying guns. Compare that with what an influential libertarian
              wrote me after PF05:

              -----------------------

              I showed up a little early on the first morning and parked in front
              of the office along with maybe 20 other cars in what looked like a
              small parking lot. There were no signs that I could see that said
              not to park there. There was nowhere else to park, and the office
              wasn't open yet--this was at 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. Lots of other people
              were waiting for it to open, too. The conference was going to
              start, so I left my car there along with all the others (where else
              was I going to put it?) and went to the conference. Around 11:45, I
              walked out to the parking lot to drive to lunch and my car was gone,
              along with everyone else's. The owner/operator had had it towed. I
              got the "address" and phone # of the towing company, but there was
              no cell phone coverage (contrary to a statement on the FSP website,
              the entire state is definitely NOT wired for cell phones), so I
              couldn't call them. The address was something like "Highway 120,"
              with no street #, in a town north of Lancaster. Since towns are
              geographically large in NH, this place could have been anywhere
              along 120 for miles! I got a guy to give me a ride, and we spent
              about half an hour trying to find the place. We drove past it a
              couple of times and had to stop and ask for directions in three
              different places, as my car was on the back of a truck in the middle
              of a junkyard and couldn't be seen from the road, and the
              business' "sign" was painted on the door of the truck. Of course I
              had to pay a fee to get my car back. And all of this time, I was
              missing the conference. I was livid!

              I also heard that the assistant of Badnarik was sitting in their car
              in the same parking lot I had been, getting some shuteye when the
              operator came up to the car and yelled in his face, then called the
              cops, I believe. I also heard of at least one run-in with one of
              the attendees who was camping there. When I heard that they had
              secured the same campground for this year's Porcfest, I
              thought "Damn, they must be gluttons for punishment." I will NEVER
              attend another Porcfest as long as it is held at that same
              campground and the same SOB runs it."

              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Jason P Sorens"
              <jsorens@...> wrote:

              > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Condon" <tim@> wrote:
              >
              > > No way. I've been at every Rogers FSP party since before the
              choice
              > of NH as
              > > the Free State, and *never* was told "you can't go in there
              unless
              > you pay."
              > > But Michele and I were told that at Gunstock.
              >
              > I wasn't at Gunstock, but at the first 3 PorcFests I was definitely
              > told I had to pay to get in, because I wasn't staying at Rogers.
              Also,
              > the owner called the cops on some of our guests, including Michael
              > Badnarik, & had their cars towed because they didn't pay.
              >
              > I've heard other stories about Rogers: drunk campers peeing on Free
              > Staters' tents, a bunch of white supremacists hassling Free
              Staters, &
              > so on.
              >
              > Probably, neither place is ideal, but why not give Gunstock 1 more
              > chance? There's always '09 to return to Rogers if it still doesn't
              > work all that well.
              >
              > Jason

            • James Sulinski
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 5, 2007
                I wasn't impressed with Gunstock for the reasons outlined above (poor
                acoustics, layout of campsites), but I do think that something within, say,
                an hour of Manchester is important, both for daytrippers and out-of-staters
                flying in.

                On that, I second the notions: let's try to find a new venue.

                If we can't manage to find something better in these regards, we definitely
                need to work on the significant issues. It would be best if we could do all
                of this on our own land, with our own supplies (and our own cooks and
                bartenders? :P). All in good time.

                James

              • Dale in L.A.
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 5, 2007
                  I've only been to the one Porcfest- the most recent one at Gunstock, so I
                  don't have anything to compare it to. All I know is that I absolutely loved
                  it and it convinced me to make the move sooner rather than after 20,000
                  people signed up and now I'm here. What convinced me was just meeting great
                  people so maybe the location didn't matter so much for that.

                  I remember being a little bit relieved that it was in a somewhat central
                  location. It was very helpful to go on tours of key cities, coming from
                  someone who's ig'nant of NH in general. Now that I'm a resident, I can also
                  see my likelyhood of attending being higher since it's closer, assuming I'm
                  working by that time. If I'm not working, I'll probably be there
                  regardless.

                  Maybe more than one event isn't such a bad idea. Two big events a year
                  doesn't seem like enough. :) Alternatively, is there some way to achieve a
                  best of both worlds somehow? For instance, could there be a setup for tours
                  early in the week from some central location where people can go out and
                  meet Porcupines in their natural habitat (hehe) like we did this year, and
                  then more of the party and hang-out thing happening up at Rogers for the
                  weekend? I'm just brainstorming.

                  Dale in L.A.

                  http://farechase.yahoo.com/