Ron Paul goes mainstream (media, that is)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2007
      From today's Wall Street Journal, FYI. ---Tim Condon

      Paul Grabs Attention of Alienated Voters Web Helps to Amplify
      Presidential Campaign
      Of Iconoclastic Texan
      By *JACKIE CALMES*
      August 31, 2007; Page A4

      Computer engineer Jonathan Morey says, "I have never voted for a Republican,
      ever." Nathan Hansen, a lawyer, says, "I've been a Republican all my life."
      Yet a political meeting in St. Paul, Minn., brought the 31-year-old friends
      together for the first time -- in support of presidential candidate Ron
      Paul.
      QUESTION OF THE DAY

      [image: [QOD]] <http://forums.wsj.com/viewtopic.php?t=746> � *Vote:* Is
      January too early for presidential primaries and caucuses?
      <http://forums.wsj.com/viewtopic.php?t=746>

      Officially, Mr. Paul is a Republican, elected to Congress 10 times and now
      running for the party's presidential nomination. But the party label hardly
      describes the obstetrician from south of Houston. And it certainly doesn't
      explain his appeal to a growing, if still small, number of voters across the
      political spectrum, many of them much younger than their spry 72-year-old
      idol.

      The iconoclastic "Dr. Paul" is a libertarian advocate of minimalist
      government, a foe of the Federal Reserve and anything else not explicitly
      allowed by the Constitution, and perhaps the most antiwar candidate in the
      race. Thanks to the unprecedented number of early debates, he has been able
      to share the stage with his better-funded Republican establishment rivals.

      But it is the Internet that has amplified his message and introduced Mr.
      Paul to voters alienated from both parties. His rise, though modest, is
      testament as well to the power of his noninterventionist message, even in a
      party led by President Bush.
      [image: [Jonathan Morey]]

      As polls track the public's disaffection, political strategists are on alert
      for a third-party movement. Paulites insist their man can win the Republican
      nomination, though he has gone from zero to just 2% in polls. If he can't,
      their fervor suggests they would push him to run independently. But having
      run as a Libertarian in 1988, when he took just 0.47% of the vote, Mr. Paul
      has discouraged such speculation.

      The Web "is redefining what a grass-roots campaign looks like," says Mr.
      Morey, the computer engineer. More than other candidates' fans, Paul
      supporters take matters into their own hands, planning events and raising
      money in a decentralized process that parallels Mr. Paul's vision of what
      government should be. Aside from his own Web site, there are free-lancers'
      DailyPaul.com and RonPaulLibrary.org ("the world's largest collection of
      writings by Ron Paul"), among others, MySpace "friends" groups and YouTube
      video-sharing.

      It has meant $3 million to Mr. Paul, making him fourth among eight
      Republicans in fund raising and first among the five dark horses in cash on
      hand. But the netroots' bottom-up energy poses challenges, too, for a
      campaign trying to channel if not control it. "We're running a campaign, and
      we'd like to think we know what we're doing," says deputy campaign manager
      Joe Seehusen. "And then there's this thing called the Internet, and that has
      a life of its own."

      Messrs. Morey and Hansen met late last spring at a local Paul gathering they
      had learned of through Meetup.com. Such social-networking Web sites have
      become an organizing and fund-raising tool for other campaigns, but they are
      particularly valuable for shoe-string operations such as Mr. Paul's.
      RIDE A DARK HORSE

      � * The Man:* Rep. Ron Paul barely registers in presidential polls, but the
      Republican's libertarian, iconoclastic positions draw growing support from
      across the political spectrum.
      � * The Plan:* Through the Internet, fervent 'Paulites' have built the
      candidate's modest warchest and helped raise his profile in straw polls.
      � * The Upshot:* Paul remains among the longest of longshots in his party,
      but supporters insist the Internet has empowered grass-roots efforts such as
      theirs.

      The men recall about 30 people at that meeting, a number that grew at
      subsequent gatherings to more than 200 before members began breaking into
      subchapters. The pair still occasionally attend Minneapolis-area gatherings,
      but mostly they have taken to acting independently. Though from different
      parties, they got behind Mr. Paul for similar reasons: They share his stands
      against what they see as an illegal war, erosion of individual rights and a
      government that is too big, secretive and corrupt.

      Mr. Morey, who bikes to work in T-shirts he emblazoned "Who is Ron Paul?,"
      drove alone to Iowa in June, after learning online that Mr. Paul was being
      excluded from a Republican debate co-sponsored by the Iowa Christian
      Alliance and Iowans for Tax Relief. Organizers said Mr. Paul didn't have
      enough support. In Des Moines, Mr. Morey joined about 1,000 others
      responding to online alerts. Outnumbering the debate audience, they marched
      past shouting "Ron Paul! Freedom!" and drew sympathetic media attention
      statewide.
      [image: [Nathan Hansen]]

      In early August, on a lark, Messrs. Morey and Hansen drove south to Iowa
      State University for state Republicans' straw poll, a traditional barometer
      of candidate strength in the state with the first nominating contest. The
      decisions of former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Arizona Sen. John McCain
      and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson not to actively campaign for the
      poll raised the stakes for underdogs like Mr. Paul.

      Rivals, especially wealthy former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, bought
      thousands of the $35 tickets that supporters need to vote. Paulites launched
      "Adopt an Iowan" online and raised more than $19,000 for tickets. While Mr.
      Romney had buses, hotel rooms and meals for his supporters, Messrs. Hansen
      and Morey came at their own expense, as did hundreds of others from as far
      as New York, Nashville, Tenn., and Seattle, even though only Iowans could
      vote.

      Arriving on the Friday before the straw poll, the two headed to a live-music
      club on the campus for "Ronstock" -- Paulites' Woodstock of local bands,
      though the men were too late to catch Mr. Paul's brief appearance. Mr. Paul
      punctuated his stump speech -- "Regardless of what happens, the fight
      continues" for "national sovereignty and to defend our Constitution" -- by
      urging supporters to have fun.

      On Saturday, Messrs. Morey and Hansen pulled into a parking lot alongside
      Romney buses. As mostly older passengers marched off in line behind Romney
      aides holding "Follow Me" signs, the two men chuckled at the contrast with
      the free-thinking, free-lancing Paulites.
      [image: [Combo]]

      The Iowa Republican Party rented space to candidates. Mr. Paul had one of
      the smaller, most isolated locations, but his tent was among the most
      crowded despite scorching heat.

      Unsure how to help, the friends drove to a Sam's Club and spent $100 on
      bottled water. They walked around with a cooler in their "Who is Ron Paul?"
      T-shirts, doling out bottles to parched Republicans. That night, long after
      most people left, scores of Paulites stayed for the straw-poll results: Mr.
      Paul was fifth of 11 candidates, with 9.1% -- nearly twice the tally of
      absentees McCain, Giuliani and Thompson combined.

      On Aug. 23, the men learned from a Meetup group of a Minnesota straw poll,
      sponsored by Republican state legislators for $100 a ticket, to be held that
      night. "I was a little hesitant to go and spend a hundred bucks," Mr. Morey
      said, "but I'd driven all the way to Iowa for a straw poll, so..."

      They joined roughly 150 voters, he said, and Mr. Paul came in third with
      16%, behind Mr. Thompson's 21% and Mr. Romney's 20%. Mr. Paul has placed
      high at a series of local party straw polls this summer, given such
      self-motivated fans, and has high hopes for tomorrow's Republican straw poll
      in his home state.

      Messrs. Morey and Hansen insist Mr. Paul "absolutely" has a shot at
      election. Mr. Morey says he used to lose sleep thinking of the country's
      problems. "Now I sleep fine at night," he says, "because I'm taking action."

      *Write to *Jackie Calmes at jackie.calmes@...
      RELATED ARTICLES AND BLOGS
      Related Articles from the Online Journal
      � Huckabee, Iowa Poll's Real
      Winner?<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118696092889395425.html?mod=sphere_ts>
      Blog Posts About This Topic
      � Rasmussen Releases Literally Unbelievable
      Poll<http://www.sphere.com/search?q=sphereit:http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB118852395739814099.html>
      pcapostate.blogspot.com
      � Ron Paul's Non-Inverventionalist Foreign Policy a Hit With
      Republicans<http://www.sphere.com/search?q=sphereit:http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB118852395739814099.html>
      peaceactionwest.typepad.com

    • Jeanne D'Arc
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007