Anyone voting for Ron Paul?

  • lovely.ishtar
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 22, 2007
      I figure since he is more Libertarian than some Libertarians :D i know!

      I would guess Free Staters would greatly support him but i wanted to
      see what everyone here thought of him.

      -T
    • Kevin Craig
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 22, 2007
        At 7:59 +0000 8/22/07, lovely.ishtar wrote:
        >I would guess Free Staters would greatly support him but i wanted to
        >see what everyone here thought of him.

        Here's a forum that answers the question:

        http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?board=31.0

        (Short answer: YES!)
      • Ron Helwig
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 22, 2007
          An easier question to answer would be "who isn't voting for Ron Paul?"

          I would suspect that there are a few who won't be, but only because they
          don't vote at all.

          On 8/22/07, lovely.ishtar <lovely.ishtar@...> wrote:

          > I figure since he is more Libertarian than some Libertarians :D i know!
          >
          > I would guess Free Staters would greatly support him but i wanted to
          > see what everyone here thought of him.

        • James Sulinski
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 22, 2007
            Many, if not most, of us do support him. He also has a great deal of support
            from the Republican Liberty Caucus in New Hampshire.

            He has also directly supported the FSP, speaking for at least one of our
            functions.

            James

            On 8/22/07, lovely.ishtar <lovely.ishtar@...> wrote:

            > I figure since he is more Libertarian than some Libertarians :D i know!
            >
            > I would guess Free Staters would greatly support him but i wanted to
            > see what everyone here thought of him.
            >

            > -T

          • Ward Griffiths
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 23, 2007
              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "James Sulinski"
              <b1ueemu@...> wrote:

              > Many, if not most, of us do support him. He also has a great deal of
              support
              > from the Republican Liberty Caucus in New Hampshire.
              >
              > He has also directly supported the FSP, speaking for at least one of our
              > functions.

              I would cheerfully vote for him, but I doubt that I'll have the
              opportunity. No way this side of hell would I declare myself a
              republican even temporarily, so they won't let me have a primary
              ballot, and if he somehow got the republican nomination I suspect he'd
              have an "accident" sometime before November.
            • Simon Jester
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                > Terrible.

                Not...

                Although the best way to combat the problems we are currently
                experiencing with the *wrong* kind* of illegal immigrants (those looking
                for a free ride on the welfare train) is to eliminate *all* welfare,
                period, whether Citizens or not.

                I have mixed feelings about physically securing our borders, but am in
                full agreement with everything else - no amnesty, deporting illegals,
                ending the 'anchor-baby' loophole created by the courts (the 14th
                amendment does *not* read the way it was interpreted - it only applies
                to children of people who are here *legally*), etc...

                > Look at this despotic communist position from Ron Paul:
                > Border Security and Immigration Reform

                <snip>

                Lol!!!!!!!!

                If this is the only thing preventing you from voting for Ron Paul, then
                obviously you're voting for nobody - because no other politician running
                is for the purist libertarian idea of 100% totally free and open borders...

                Charles
              • Jon Isaac
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Fernando Chiocca, you react with outrage to one of Ron Paul's positions.
                  This is understandable. But what is your alternative?

                  What are you doing to advance the cause of freedom? And would you at least
                  acknowledge that Ron Paul has done more to throw many new minds into the
                  libertarian (and even the anarchist) camps than any person since perhaps
                  Barry Goldwater.

                  Did you know that more people are reading Lew Rockwell than ever before? The
                  same goes for Reason.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 24, 2007
                    I heard that you can register " Decline to State "
                    and can thus vote for whomeever.

                    Not sure if thats true in all states.

                    -T

                    -----------------

                    > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "James Sulinski"
                    > <b1ueemu@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Many, if not most, of us do support him. He also has a great deal of
                    > support
                    > > from the Republican Liberty Caucus in New Hampshire.
                    > >
                    > > He has also directly supported the FSP, speaking for at least one
                    of our
                    > > functions.
                    >
                    > I would cheerfully vote for him, but I doubt that I'll have the
                    > opportunity. No way this side of hell would I declare myself a
                    > republican even temporarily, so they won't let me have a primary
                    > ballot, and if he somehow got the republican nomination I suspect he'd
                    > have an "accident" sometime before November.

                  • tainohome
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 27, 2007
                      I find it curious that a Freestater would endorse any part of the
                      anti-immigration schemes of the country's reactionary statists. The
                      notion that "libertarians" are OK with state imposed exclusions,
                      restrictions and the construction of Berlin walls against the movement
                      of people--and, therefore, ideas, labor, commerce, etc.--is, well,
                      anti-liberty and very scary.

                      In Keep the Borders Open <http://www.fff.org/comment/com0202h.asp> ,
                      Jacob G. Hornberger of the Future of Freedom Foundation asks important
                      (albeit diifficult) questions about immigration in a post-9/11 America:

                      Why shouldn't a person be free to cross a border in search of work
                      to sustain his life, to open a business, to tour, or simply because he
                      wants to? Or to put it another way, under what moral authority does any
                      government interfere with the exercise of these rights?

                      Hornberger believes we should "reexamine our founding principles, why
                      succeeding generations of Americans abandoned them, the consequences of
                      that abandonment, and whether it would be wise to restore the moral and
                      philosophical principles of freedom of our Founders."

                      He suggests that the reexamination begin with immigration. I agree.

                      BTW: While no presidential candidate may hold a complete libertarian
                      view vis-a-vis immigration, it's another thing to suggest that 1) the
                      issue is somehow less than fundamental; or 2) that all candidates have
                      equally appalling views.

                      US Taino

                      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Simon Jester <tanstaafl@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > Terrible.
                      >
                      > Not...
                      >
                      > Although the best way to combat the problems we are currently
                      > experiencing with the *wrong* kind* of illegal immigrants (those
                      looking
                      > for a free ride on the welfare train) is to eliminate *all* welfare,
                      > period, whether Citizens or not.
                      >
                      > I have mixed feelings about physically securing our borders, but am in
                      > full agreement with everything else - no amnesty, deporting illegals,
                      > ending the 'anchor-baby' loophole created by the courts (the 14th
                      > amendment does *not* read the way it was interpreted - it only applies
                      > to children of people who are here *legally*), etc...
                      >
                      > > Look at this despotic communist position from Ron Paul:
                      > > Border Security and Immigration Reform
                      >
                      > <snip>
                      >
                      > Lol!!!!!!!!
                      >
                      > If this is the only thing preventing you from voting for Ron Paul,
                      then
                      > obviously you're voting for nobody - because no other politician
                      running
                      > is for the purist libertarian idea of 100% totally free and open
                      borders...

                      > Charles

                    • James Sulinski
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 27, 2007
                        I don't think that many people agree with his support to build a fence, but,
                        at least I, agree that criminals should be treated as such. There is a legal
                        method of immigration to the United States, and while it might be less than
                        ideal, it doesn't justify breaking the law. It simply needs to be changed.

                        Remember, the Free State Project should not be considered 'libertarian', but
                        rather, 'pro-liberty'. There are many shades, and many participants embody
                        them. Ron Paul is an example of one shade (albeit not a direct participant
                        of the FSP). While I don't agree with him 100%, can you really expect to?
                        He's at least around 90-95%, which is much better than any other
                        presidential candidate, and well within qualification for active support, in
                        my eyes.

                        Many people come to the libertarian movement as 'single-issue' participants.
                        While I can understand that this is what appeals to you most, you should
                        also recognize how inter-connected these issues are, and most do. A step
                        toward liberty, even if not on your pet issue, is nonetheless a step toward
                        liberty. This is why many of us support Ron Paul.

                        James

                        On 8/27/07, tainohome <tainohome@...> wrote:

                        > I find it curious that a Freestater would endorse any part of the
                        > anti-immigration schemes of the country's reactionary statists. The
                        > notion that "libertarians" are OK with state imposed exclusions,
                        > restrictions and the construction of Berlin walls against the movement
                        > of people--and, therefore, ideas, labor, commerce, etc.--is, well,
                        > anti-liberty and very scary.
                        >
                        > In Keep the Borders Open <http://www.fff.org/comment/com0202h.asp> ,
                        > Jacob G. Hornberger of the Future of Freedom Foundation asks important
                        > (albeit diifficult) questions about immigration in a post-9/11 America:
                        >
                        > Why shouldn't a person be free to cross a border in search of work
                        > to sustain his life, to open a business, to tour, or simply because he
                        > wants to? Or to put it another way, under what moral authority does any
                        > government interfere with the exercise of these rights?
                        >
                        > Hornberger believes we should "reexamine our founding principles, why
                        > succeeding generations of Americans abandoned them, the consequences of
                        > that abandonment, and whether it would be wise to restore the moral and
                        > philosophical principles of freedom of our Founders."
                        >
                        > He suggests that the reexamination begin with immigration. I agree.
                        >
                        > BTW: While no presidential candidate may hold a complete libertarian
                        > view vis-a-vis immigration, it's another thing to suggest that 1) the
                        > issue is somehow less than fundamental; or 2) that all candidates have
                        > equally appalling views.
                        >
                        > US Taino
                        >

                        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Simon Jester <tanstaafl@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Terrible.
                        > >
                        > > Not...
                        > >
                        > > Although the best way to combat the problems we are currently
                        > > experiencing with the *wrong* kind* of illegal immigrants (those
                        > looking
                        > > for a free ride on the welfare train) is to eliminate *all* welfare,
                        > > period, whether Citizens or not.
                        > >
                        > > I have mixed feelings about physically securing our borders, but am in
                        > > full agreement with everything else - no amnesty, deporting illegals,
                        > > ending the 'anchor-baby' loophole created by the courts (the 14th
                        > > amendment does *not* read the way it was interpreted - it only applies
                        > > to children of people who are here *legally*), etc...
                        > >
                        > > > Look at this despotic communist position from Ron Paul:
                        > > > Border Security and Immigration Reform
                        > >
                        > > <snip>
                        > >
                        > > Lol!!!!!!!!
                        > >
                        > > If this is the only thing preventing you from voting for Ron Paul,
                        > then
                        > > obviously you're voting for nobody - because no other politician
                        > running
                        > > is for the purist libertarian idea of 100% totally free and open
                        > borders...
                        > >
                        > > Charles

                      • David Mincin
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 27, 2007
                          Well being one of the first half dozen or so folks who moved to NH I don't
                          find
                          it curious at all tht we support Ron Paul and are actively working on his
                          campaign

                          I don't claim any of those titles, just know that we need to work to promote
                          freedom. Titles put us in a box. I'm not into boxes!

                          Truth is I'm pretty much into what Dr Paul has to say 100%, so call me what
                          you may!

                          Dave

                          On 8/27/07, James Sulinski <b1ueemu@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > looking
                          > > > for a free ride on the welfare train) is to eliminate *all* welfare,
                          > > > period, whether Citizens or not.
                          > > >
                          > > > I have mixed feelings about physically securing our borders, but am in
                          > > > full agreement with everything else - no amnesty, deporting illegals,
                          > > > ending the 'anchor-baby' loophole created by the courts (the 14th
                          > > > amendment does *not* read the way it was interpreted - it only applies
                          > > > to children of people who are here *legally*), etc...

                          > > > <snip>
                          > > >
                          > > > Lol!!!!!!!!
                          > > >
                          > > > If this is the only thing preventing you from voting for Ron Paul,
                          > > then
                          > > > obviously you're voting for nobody - because no other politician
                          > > running
                          > > > is for the purist libertarian idea of 100% totally free and open

                        • Fernando Chiocca
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 27, 2007
                            Well, as an "austro-econ" libertarian, I am a fan of Ron Paul. Problably he is the best politician that have worked in the government since the founding fathers. But when I saw his positions about imigration it really desappopinted me.Make criminals of undocumented workers and pacific people seems like a stupid socialist idea.
                            And how about the international participants of FSP? I am a brazilian and for us it's very difficult to obtain any visa to go legally to US (individuals need an arbitrary approval from a bureaucrat to not be a crimminal). My plan is to get a tourist visa go to NH and never come back, becoming an illegal immigrant (fuck the state). Now Ron Paul says that "immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law." And it's sad to see the greatests pro-liberty fitghers supporting such a thing.
                            The only thing that a libertarian have to say about immigration is the (contradictory with the others) fourth proposition: "No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services." but even in this one he seems to forget that everyone inside U.S. pay tax when buy something. So, the libertarian position must be only: "No welfare for anyone".
                            I know I sound extremely ideatist and, as a matter of fact, if I was in U.S. I would problaby suport and vote for Paul. I just cannot understand how and why he took these facists positions.

> [...]

                            > > looking
                            > > > for a free ride on the welfare train) is to eliminate *all* welfare,
                            > > > period, whether Citizens or not.
                            > > >
                            > > > I have mixed feelings about physically securing our borders, but am in
                            > > > full agreement with everything else - no amnesty, deporting illegals,
                            > > > ending the 'anchor-baby' loophole created by the courts (the 14th
                            > > > amendment does *not* read the way it was interpreted - it only applies
                            > > > to children of people who are here *legally*), etc...

                            > > > <snip>
                            > > >
                            > > > Lol!!!!!!!!
                            > > >
                            > > > If this is the only thing preventing you from voting for Ron Paul,
                            > > then
                            > > > obviously you're voting for nobody - because no other politician
                            > > running
                            > > > is for the purist libertarian idea of 100% totally free and open

                          • John flynn
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                              Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't it be more productive and a better outlet
                              for outraged energy if people stood behind a candidate who actually has a
                              chance of winning? Seems to this poor simple old country boy that a
                              tremendous amount of energy is being lost due to Ron paul espousalists.
                              Personally, yes I do believe he would make a better leader than the rest put
                              together, but all the thrashing about being done regaring him could actually
                              push a realistic contender over the top to win, instead of wasting votes on
                              a spoiler. My opinion only, before you all jump down my throat and verbally
                              eviscerate me for my personal beliefs. Peace, John Flynn McGondel.

> [...]
                              > > > to sustain his life, to open a business, to tour, or simply because he
                              > > > wants to? Or to put it another way, under what moral authority does
                              >any
                              > > > government interfere with the exercise of these rights?
                              > > >
                              > > > Hornberger believes we should "reexamine our founding principles, why
                              > > > succeeding generations of Americans abandoned them, the consequences
                              >of
                              > > > that abandonment, and whether it would be wise to restore the moral
                              >and
                              > > > philosophical principles of freedom of our Founders."
                              > > >
                              > > > He suggests that the reexamination begin with immigration. I agree.
                              > > >
                              > > > BTW: While no presidential candidate may hold a complete libertarian
                              > > > view vis-a-vis immigration, it's another thing to suggest that 1) the
                              > > > issue is somehow less than fundamental; or 2) that all candidates have

                              Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!
                              http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01
                            • Chris Lawless
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                Get your NH based Ron Paul tshirts right here:

                                www.ronpaulhq.com/paulmart.php

                                === message truncated ===

                                It is time for a new direction:
                                www.ronpaulhq.com

                              • Jon Isaac
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                  John Flynn, who's your 'realistic' contender? If by realistic
                                  contender, you mean we should be voting for one of the 'first tier'
                                  candidates (i.e., either a socialist or a fascist), I don't see the
                                  point of voting.

                                • Simon Jester
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                    > I find it curious that a Freestater would endorse any part of the
                                    > anti-immigration schemes of the country's reactionary statists.

                                    I find it curious that a Freestater would not concede that refusing to
                                    vote or support someone like Ron Paul based solely on his position on
                                    this one 'issue' - when his principles and ethics are otherwise
                                    *impeccable* - is tantamount to admitting that they will simply never be
                                    able to support any politician, anywhere, at any time, because such an
                                    attitude is in essence saying that you will only support a politician
                                    that agrees 100% - with no exceptions - with your own personal political
                                    views.

                                    > The notion that "libertarians" are OK with state imposed exclusions,
                                    > restrictions and the construction of Berlin walls against the
                                    > movement of people -- and, therefore, ideas, labor, commerce, etc. -- is,
                                    > well, anti-liberty and very scary.

                                    I am not in favor of building a fence - and Ron has specifically said
                                    that a fence is not a high priority, while eliminating incentives
                                    (welfare, forcing states to provide free medical care, etc) is.

                                    That said - I am in favor of controlling how many people can come here
                                    to live and work - and I'm also in favor of deporting illegal aliens who
                                    refuse to follow our established immigration rules.

                                    I am adamantly against, however any intrusive mandates on employers to
                                    make them some kind of immigration 'police' - our Constitutions do not
                                    delegate any power to the government to require private employers to
                                    check some government database before they can hire someone. In fact,
                                    I'm totally against the requirement even for SSNs.

                                    > Hornberger believes we should "reexamine our founding principles, why
                                    > succeeding generations of Americans abandoned them, the consequences
                                    > of that abandonment, and whether it would be wise to restore the
                                    > moral and philosophical principles of freedom of our Founders."

                                    Umm... we had immigration policies pretty much from the beginning...

                                    > He suggests that the reexamination begin with immigration. I agree.
                                    >
                                    > BTW: While no presidential candidate may hold a complete libertarian
                                    > view vis-a-vis immigration, it's another thing to suggest that 1) the
                                    > issue is somehow less than fundamental; or 2) that all candidates have
                                    > equally appalling views.

                                    I'll respond by repeating my above:

                                    Anyone who refuses to vote or support someone like Ron Paul based solely
                                    on his position on this one 'issue' - when his principles and ethics are
                                    otherwise *impeccable* - is tantamount to admitting that they will
                                    simply never be able to support any [electable] politician, anywhere, at
                                    any time, because such an attitude is in essence saying that you will
                                    only support a politician that agrees 100% - with no exceptions - with
                                    your own personal political views.
                                  • Bill
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                      John flynn wrote:
                                      > but all the thrashing about being done regaring him could actually
                                      > push a realistic contender over the top to win, instead of wasting votes on
                                      > a spoiler.

                                      Name a remotely historically, Constitutionally acceptable, (what you
                                      consider to be) "realistic contender." And I should support someone
                                      (make no mistake, /purely/) "because s/he can /win/?" So, fetid politics
                                      as usual? Ya think this is a receptive group for that strategy, do ya?

                                      If everyone acts on the basis of that strategy, rather than their own
                                      principles, then yes, sadly and yet again, it will be true. And TPTB
                                      will be pleased. However, if instead everyone acts on the basis of their
                                      own principles, rather than the assumptions of the media and the
                                      objectives of the entrenched power-brokers (or simply some twisted need
                                      to "back the winner"), well...

                                      Why not recommend, instead, that everyone /stop/ basing their support on
                                      whom (they're told) their neighbors like? Hell, some of the polls even
                                      bluntly ask, "Whom do you think will win?" -- i.e., "Whom do you think
                                      your /neighbors/ will vote for?" -- rather than "Whom will /you/ vote
                                      for?," pretty clearly implying that group-think is more important, and
                                      should be a guide. Of what legitimate use is that, other than to
                                      influence? Utterly absurd. Then, of course, there's always the "forcing
                                      the debate" argument: he can't do that if he's not running. Oh, and
                                      which is more accurate: the lazy-assed phone polls or the time- and
                                      money-invested straw polls? <http://ronpaul2008.com/straw-poll-results/>
                                      These people clearly aren't paying attention to what they're "supposed"
                                      to do. (And why isn't the media at all curious about why so many voters
                                      apparently chose /not/ to vote after paying $35 to do just that in Ames?
                                      Is it just me?)

                                      Buying into the establishment's self-serving assertion that we have no
                                      viable option but to choose the "lesser of 2 evils" from their own
                                      designated candidates got us King George. Twice. That's not an option.
                                      Ever again. Self-fulfilling, self-defeating prophecy is such a downer,
                                      dude...

                                      "Prediction is difficult. Especially about the future."
                                      -Niels Bohr-

                                      And while I'm here, no open borders concurrent with open entitlements.
                                      First get rid of the welfare state, then we can talk about the borders.
                                      There is a proper logical order to things. But a fence, well... That's
                                      just patently silly. Merely pushing them (at what cost?) from San Diego
                                      County to Imperial County is hardly a victory. What's the perimeter of
                                      the U.S.? And wouldn't ya really need a dome...?
                                      --

                                      --= My life, my property, my decisions. =--
                                      --= BikerBill=- ©¿©¬ =--
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                        I can understand it, even while not really liking it. Politics. He can see
                                        the immigration "issue" as something that can get him votes while not
                                        straying too far from his real position. At least that's what I keep telling
                                        myself :-)

                                        Ron Helwig
                                        103rd FSP Mover
                                        http://nhlibertydollar.com

                                        On 8/28/07, Fernando Chiocca <chiocca@...> wrote:

                                        > I know I sound extremely idealist and, as a matter of fact, if I was in
                                        > U.S. I would probably support and vote for Paul. I just cannot understand
                                        > how and why he took these fascist positions.

                                      • Jon Isaac
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                          I don't like the immigration restriction either -- I'm an immigrant myself.
                                          Ron Paul does say that in an ideal country where there was no welfare
                                          issues, there would need to be no immigration restrictions. He is against
                                          millions of immigrants arriving and voting in the welfare state from which
                                          they fled in their home countries. New Hampshire residents should know what
                                          that is like with the influx from Taxachussets.

                                          At times Ron Paul sounds like an Austrian Anarchocapitalist, at others he's
                                          more like a conservative. I do know that whatever his leanings, he would
                                          bring the US closer to liberty than ANY other living politician bar none.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                            Bill wrote:
                                            >If everyone acts on the basis of that strategy, rather than their own
                                            principles, then yes, sadly and yet again, it will be true. And TPTB
                                            will be pleased. <

                                            John replies: "...their own principles"? You're just kidding, right?

                                            Bill wrote (immed. following that):
                                            >However, if instead everyone acts on the basis of their
                                            own principles<

                                            John replies: "There we go again about principles. How can one get to be as
                                            old as this and not come to the conclusion that the vast, overwhelming
                                            majority of the masses (carnivorous sheep) either have no personal
                                            priciples/ethics, or pretend that they do ascribe to some set of socially
                                            acceptable principles in order that they (the same carnivorious sheep) can
                                            perform more fleecing on others than is being done to themselves on a daily
                                            basis."

                                            Bill wrote:
                                            >Why not recommend, instead, that everyone /stop/ basing their support on
                                            whom (they're told) their neighbors like?<

                                            John replies, in an incredulous state:
                                            "You mean like healthy debating or discussing the issues and candidates with
                                            other citizens prior to forming a votable opinion?

                                            Bill wrote:
                                            >Self-fulfilling, self-defeating prophecy is such a downer,
                                            >dude...<

                                            John replies:
                                            "One mans so-called self-defeating/fulfilling prophecy is another man's
                                            realization that there are now, and have probably always been, certain
                                            aspects of political agendizings that are not about to be allowed to become
                                            changed very easily in the forseeable future. Like buying votes, slinging
                                            mud, lying to taxpayers and voters, public masturbation, fraternizing with
                                            lawyers (alright I already used masturbation sorry), accepting bribes,
                                            blackmailing competitors, screwing the citizenry for recreation, laughing at
                                            Joe Average American, and using the Constitution for the toilet paper it has
                                            become. To you it's a self defeating attitude. To me it's just the way it is
                                            and if one is to retain any semblance of one's sanity, one finds a way to
                                            accept it without liking it, like mosquitos, aids, world hunger, the
                                            organized mutililization of children, etc. and try to deal with it in such a
                                            way as to be able to hold onto a sense of personal ethics while watching the
                                            world sink rapidly down the evolutionary ladder like a monkey sliding down a
                                            greased pole into hell."

                                            Bill wrote:
                                            >First get rid of the welfare state, then we can talk about the borders.
                                            There is a proper logical order to things.<

                                            John replied:
                                            "Get rid of the welfare state? Yup, talk about a pipe-dream. We're in that
                                            game for life old buddy. And as for borders? You are actually expecting us
                                            to believe that you can apply a "logical order" to spending centuries
                                            building a new, rich superpower on the backs of immigrants, and then using
                                            logic to suddenly decide to halt immigration now that we as a nation are
                                            done with sucking the blood from immigrants like so many capitalistic
                                            vampires? Talk about a self defeating idea."

                                            When all is said and done, and the smoke clears, and the next round of
                                            chronic idiocy begings with new idiots starring as the players, people will
                                            always be able to feel good about mouthing off and venting thousands of
                                            gallons of verbal diarheadisguised as pseudo sophisticated political debate
                                            in yahoo group rooms that function the way massage parlors do: they make you
                                            feel good about something you should have been able to accomplish in private
                                            and in a much shorter time-span. >chuckling out loud while family looks on<

                                            Smile, its just yesterday coming around to say hello again...

                                            John Flynn McGondel: "Peace Through Music"

                                            Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more�.then map the best route!
                                            http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01
                                          • wolzybk
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 28, 2007
                                              I agree with Taino about the immigration issue. Free movement of
                                              people is an essential component of freedom, and as such, I do not
                                              believe that you can really support liberty while denying that.

                                              However, I am strongly supporting Ron Paul in this election. I am
                                              working to help his campaign here in CA, and plan to temporarily re-
                                              register as a Republican to vote for him in the primaries.

                                              I disagree with his stance on borders, as well as his position on
                                              abortion. His faith makes me nervous. But he's still (for me) about
                                              75% good, and that's a damn sight better than any of the alternatives
                                              put forth in the major parties. Perfection is not available; I'm
                                              willing to work and vote for 75% good, over 13% good (at best).

                                              After the primary election, I will re-re-register as a Libertarian
                                              again. If Ron Paul does somehow win the Republican nomination, I
                                              will gladly vote for him in the main event. If anyone else wins the
                                              Republican nomination, I will gladly vote for whoever the LP
                                              nominates in the main election.

                                              Yes, Ron Paul is a long shot, but he is by far and away the best
                                              chance for advancement of the idea of liberty in government that we
                                              have seen in a *very* long time.

                                              PhilB

                                              <b1ueemu@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                              > > wants to? Or to put it another way, under what moral authority
                                              does any
                                              > > government interfere with the exercise of these rights?
                                              > >
                                              > > Hornberger believes we should "reexamine our founding principles,
                                              why
                                              > > succeeding generations of Americans abandoned them, the
                                              consequences of
                                              > > that abandonment, and whether it would be wise to restore the
                                              moral and
                                              > > philosophical principles of freedom of our Founders."
                                              > >
                                              > > He suggests that the reexamination begin with immigration. I
                                              agree.

                                              > > BTW: While no presidential candidate may hold a complete
                                              libertarian
                                              > > view vis-a-vis immigration, it's another thing to suggest that 1)
                                              the
                                              > > issue is somehow less than fundamental; or 2) that all candidates

                                            • Steve
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 29, 2007
                                                Since we are in an FSP forum, let's discuss how Ron Paul is relevant
                                                to the FSP. Ron Paul will probably be speaking at the NH Liberty
                                                Forum, 3-6 January:
                                                http://www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum

                                                Will there be any bigger events than LF at that time? If the New
                                                Hampshire primary receives its historical attention, and if the LF
                                                occurs just before the NH primary, we can expect quite a media circus,
                                                a truly historical opportunity for the FSP to garner publicity. We
                                                should take maximum advantage.

                                                What are the chances that the NH primary could happen before LF?

                                                http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/24/primary.calendar.schneider/
                                                "By law, the New Hampshire primary must take place at least a week
                                                before any similar event. That means Tuesday, January 8."

                                                http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
                                                AID=/20070826/OPINION/708260339/-1/OPINION05
                                                "if current trends hold true, then N. H. Secretary of State William
                                                Gardner will set the primary date for Jan. 8 but the situation remains
                                                fluid."

                                                http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-
                                                op.primary28aug28,0,4345234.story

                                                -Steve

                                                --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "John flynn" <jteacher1@...>

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 29, 2007
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't it be more productive and a better
                                                  outlet
                                                  > for outraged energy if people stood behind a candidate who actually
                                                  has a
                                                  > chance of winning? Seems to this poor simple old country boy that a
                                                  > tremendous amount of energy is being lost due to Ron paul espousalists.

                                                  Well, it sort of depends on your definition of "productive". So far
                                                  it looks like the choices next year will be Hitlery Clinton and Adolf
                                                  Giuliani. I'll be in hell before I vote for either of those sacks of
                                                  fascist socialist crap. Aside from Doctor Paul, what do you
                                                  recommend? Since there isn't anybody in the top ten that doesn't use
                                                  the Bill of Rights for toilet paper.
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 29, 2007
                                                    Fred Thompson, Ward. He's not perfect, but no one else is either, including
                                                    Ron Paul. He's very good on taxes, federalism, the 2nd amendment, free
                                                    trade, and other areas. I'll be interested in seeing his online video
                                                    announcement of his candidacy within the next week or so. He's a Goldwater
                                                    conservative, with the bad lapse of McCain-Feingold. ---Tim Condon

                                                    On 8/29/07, Ward Griffiths <wdg3rd@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "John flynn" <jteacher1@...>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't it be more productive and a better
                                                    > outlet
                                                    > > for outraged energy if people stood behind a candidate who actually
                                                    > has a
                                                    > > chance of winning? Seems to this poor simple old country boy that a
                                                    > > tremendous amount of energy is being lost due to Ron paul espousalists.
                                                    >
                                                    > Well, it sort of depends on your definition of "productive". So far
                                                    > it looks like the choices next year will be Hitlery Clinton and Adolf
                                                    > Giuliani. I'll be in hell before I vote for either of those sacks of
                                                    > fascist socialist crap. Aside from Doctor Paul, what do you
                                                    > recommend? Since there isn't anybody in the top ten that doesn't use
                                                    > the Bill of Rights for toilet paper.

                                                  • Dale in L.A.
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 30, 2007
                                                      What makes Ron Paul stand out from everyone else is not his positions. It's
                                                      that he's not for sale and he's proven it over the decades. He won't
                                                      compromise his principles to get elected. No one else in recent history is
                                                      even in the ballpark when it comes to those character traits and that's
                                                      what's making him a viable candidate despite a failing attempt at a media
                                                      blackout on his candidacy. He's talking about the BIG issues like our FIAT
                                                      currency and the Federal banks and their strangle hold on our economy or
                                                      the trillion dollars a year we spend to stick our noses in other people's
                                                      business and piss them off or the cost and massive harm caused by the war
                                                      on drugs. It's hard to give a crap what any standard politician is saying
                                                      when they ignore such overt abuses in favor of little pet issues built
                                                      around appealing to various special interest groups.

                                                      --- Tim Condon <tim@...> wrote:
                                                      > Fred Thompson, Ward. He's not perfect, but no one else is either,
                                                      > including Ron Paul.

                                                      Dale in L.A.

                                                      Need a vacation? Get great deals
                                                      to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                                                      http://travel.yahoo.com/
                                                    • Jon Isaac
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                                                        Mcain feingold was not a "lapse." It was unconstitutional dictatorialism.
                                                        George Bush, an economic, small govt. "lapsed," and we have the largest
                                                        budget deficit in history, a police state, and imperialism overseas. Any
                                                        politician who won't stand on principle (and Fred Thompson is one of them)
                                                        will fall with the rest. What is it about this character that makes you
                                                        swoon, Tim? His gritty TV persona? His gravelly southern voice?

                                                        Tim, sorry for the caustic, bitter tone of this email, but you're living in
                                                        the same la-la-land I was 7 years ago when I almost campaigned for George
                                                        Bush. In a factual comparison of presidencies, Clinton was a right wing
                                                        conservative compared to George Bush. And yet we all favored "our"
                                                        candidate.

                                                        Dump this partisan crap, and let's start basing our decisions on fact.

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
                                                          Jon,

                                                          I really like the below comment, it's a very good and valid point (but then,
                                                          so was the first paragraph). While I don't know that Clinton was a 'right
                                                          wing conservative', he was assuredly more fiscally conservative, and that's
                                                          at least one half of the puzzle. We need to stop judging on partisan grounds
                                                          and look for people who are pro-liberty from -any- party or faction.
                                                          Seconded!

                                                          James