Re: Fwd: NH voted most livable state for 4th year

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2007
      My colleague from Mississippi was not amused and tells you to flip off. ;)

      Interesting that Wyoming made #2.

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "tim condon" <tim@...> wrote:

      > New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State
      > *Mississippi reclaims last place
      > *
      >
      > For the fourth consecutive year, New Hampshire was named the
      nation's Most
      > Livable State by Morgan Quitno Press, which determined its 17th
      annual award
      > from its just released reference book "State Rankings 2007."
      >
      > At the other end of the spectrum, statistics returned Mississippi at the
      > bottom of the scale for the ninth time in the past 10 years. Louisiana,
      > which ranked No. 50 last year, is No. 49.
      >
      > " New Hampshire does an outstanding job in a number of quality of life
      > areas," said Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press. "The
      state has
      > the lowest crime and poverty rates in the country. In addition, the
      citizens
      > of New Hampshire are employed, well educated and involved in their
      > communities."
      >
      > *44 Factors Determine Ranking*
      > Recognizing a state for its high quality of life, Morgan Quitno
      Press issues
      > its Livable State Award based on 44 factors selected from updated
      editions
      > of its annual reference book, "State Rankings." The 2007 edition of
      "State
      > Rankings" compares states in more than 550 categories.
      >
      > Rounding out the top five spots with New Hampshire are (in
      descending order)
      > Wyoming, Utah, Minnesota and New Jersey. Bringing up the opposite
      end of the
      > rankings scale ahead of Mississippi and Louisiana are Arkansas in 48th,
      > Kentucky in 47th and South Carolina in 46th place.

    • wolzybk
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2007
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Ward Griffiths" <wdg3rd@...>
        wrote:

        > How the hell did New Jersey make it into the top thirty, let alone the
        > top five? This place is a pit.

        That does throw some doubt on the validity of the poll, now doesn't
        it? At the least, it shows that a significant number of voters have very different ideas about "livable" than we do.

        In its defense, there is a lot of New Jersey that is rural, quiet, and
        very beautiful. It isn't all Newark and Trenton, in much the same way
        that New York isn't all NYC. Perhaps NJ's crappy government treads
        lightly on the rural areas, and those were the people who voted most?

        PhilB