Fwd: NH voted most livable state for 4th year

  • tim condon
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12 3:59 AM
      New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State
      *Mississippi reclaims last place
      *

      For the fourth consecutive year, New Hampshire was named the nation's Most
      Livable State by Morgan Quitno Press, which determined its 17th annual award
      from its just released reference book "State Rankings 2007."

      At the other end of the spectrum, statistics returned Mississippi at the
      bottom of the scale for the ninth time in the past 10 years. Louisiana,
      which ranked No. 50 last year, is No. 49.

      " New Hampshire does an outstanding job in a number of quality of life
      areas," said Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press. "The state has
      the lowest crime and poverty rates in the country. In addition, the citizens
      of New Hampshire are employed, well educated and involved in their
      communities."

      *44 Factors Determine Ranking*
      Recognizing a state for its high quality of life, Morgan Quitno Press issues
      its Livable State Award based on 44 factors selected from updated editions
      of its annual reference book, "State Rankings." The 2007 edition of "State
      Rankings" compares states in more than 550 categories.

      Rounding out the top five spots with New Hampshire are (in descending order)
      Wyoming, Utah, Minnesota and New Jersey. Bringing up the opposite end of the
      rankings scale ahead of Mississippi and Louisiana are Arkansas in 48th,
      Kentucky in 47th and South Carolina in 46th place.

    • Ward Griffiths
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13 7:20 AM
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "tim condon" <tim@...> wrote:

        > New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State
        > *Mississippi reclaims last place
        > *

        > Rounding out the top five spots with New Hampshire are (in
        descending order)
        > Wyoming, Utah, Minnesota and New Jersey.

        How the hell did New Jersey make it into the top thirty, let alone the
        top five? This place is a pit.
      • tim condon
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13 8:38 AM
          Beats the hell outta me. Must be some kind of statistical fluke. The people
          I know from New Jersey say it's the absolutely worst and most corrupt state
          in the entire U.S. ---Tim C.

          On 5/13/07, Ward Griffiths <wdg3rd@...> wrote:

          > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "tim condon" <tim@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State
          > > *Mississippi reclaims last place
          > > *
          >
          > > Rounding out the top five spots with New Hampshire are (in
          > descending order)
          > > Wyoming, Utah, Minnesota and New Jersey.
          >
          > How the hell did New Jersey make it into the top thirty, let alone the
          > top five? This place is a pit.

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14 7:45 AM
            My colleague from Mississippi was not amused and tells you to flip off. ;)

            Interesting that Wyoming made #2.

            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "tim condon" <tim@...> wrote:

            > New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State
            > *Mississippi reclaims last place
            > *
            >
            > For the fourth consecutive year, New Hampshire was named the
            nation's Most
            > Livable State by Morgan Quitno Press, which determined its 17th
            annual award
            > from its just released reference book "State Rankings 2007."
            >
            > At the other end of the spectrum, statistics returned Mississippi at the
            > bottom of the scale for the ninth time in the past 10 years. Louisiana,
            > which ranked No. 50 last year, is No. 49.
            >
            > " New Hampshire does an outstanding job in a number of quality of life
            > areas," said Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press. "The
            state has
            > the lowest crime and poverty rates in the country. In addition, the
            citizens
            > of New Hampshire are employed, well educated and involved in their
            > communities."
            >
            > *44 Factors Determine Ranking*
            > Recognizing a state for its high quality of life, Morgan Quitno
            Press issues
            > its Livable State Award based on 44 factors selected from updated
            editions
            > of its annual reference book, "State Rankings." The 2007 edition of
            "State
            > Rankings" compares states in more than 550 categories.
            >
            > Rounding out the top five spots with New Hampshire are (in
            descending order)
            > Wyoming, Utah, Minnesota and New Jersey. Bringing up the opposite
            end of the
            > rankings scale ahead of Mississippi and Louisiana are Arkansas in 48th,
            > Kentucky in 47th and South Carolina in 46th place.

          • wolzybk
            Message 5 of 5 , May 18 10:51 AM
              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Ward Griffiths" <wdg3rd@...>
              wrote:

              > How the hell did New Jersey make it into the top thirty, let alone the
              > top five? This place is a pit.

              That does throw some doubt on the validity of the poll, now doesn't
              it? At the least, it shows that a significant number of voters have very different ideas about "livable" than we do.

              In its defense, there is a lot of New Jersey that is rural, quiet, and
              very beautiful. It isn't all Newark and Trenton, in much the same way
              that New York isn't all NYC. Perhaps NJ's crappy government treads
              lightly on the rural areas, and those were the people who voted most?

              PhilB