Re: [FSP] Hidden parts of New Hampshire?

  • Jon Isaac
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2006
      The 'Free State' of which you speak is a province in South Africa. Initially
      a country called the Orange Free State, it was founded by Afrikaners leaving
      British-controlled Cape Town. The country was annexed by the British (mainly
      for its gold and diamonds), and then became a province in the Republic of
      South Africa.

      About 15 years ago a group of Afrikaners, in an attempt to secede from what
      they saw as the increasingly dictatorial statism of the ANC government
      bought land out in the desert and founded Oranjestad (Orange City), a
      private pseudo-country. The group aimed to generate their own electricity
      and grow their own food, and thus through living separately ultimately
      achieve independence. I believe it has since foundered.

      I have visited the Orange Free State Province although I do not have a
      picture to prove it :)

      On 12/9/06, Seth Cohn <sethcohn@...> wrote:

      > As part of my daily news reading, I have a few searches that attempt
      > to find all mentions of the FSP online, just because I like to track
      > the blog/media mentions. Imagine my surprise when I found this
      > result:
      >
      > "Wits Gold intersects reefs at Free State project"
      >
      > Reefs? In New Hampshire? What?? Did I miss that part of Portsmouth Bay?
      >
      > The funniest thing was I clicked on the link and still understand
      > almost nothing about the resulting news article:
      > http://www.miningweekly.co.za/?show=99212
      > It's all (mining)geekspeak to me.
      >
      > For those who don't know, there is a South African province:
      > http://www.places.co.za/html/free_state.html
      > "The Free State with its rolling hills, wide golden plains, impressive
      > sandstone mountains and almost 340 days of sunshine per year, is a
      > haven for the outdoor enthusiast."
      >
      > Next time someone complains about NH weather, just tell them to move
      > to the 'other' Free State instead. And bonus Porcupine Points to be
      > award to the first FSPer to visit there and get photos of themselves
      > with a sign showing they are in the "Free State"
      >
      > Just a little something to dream of, now that the cold weather has set
      > in here in New Hampshire, with the first snows on the ground.
      > November's Indian summer is only a memory... so when's global warming
      > gonna make Concord into Savannah?
      > According to
      >
      > http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/global-warming-in-new-hampshire.html
      > should be happening any day now...

    • Seth Cohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2006
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, deror0 <deror0@...> wrote:

        > I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but have you set up google
        > alerts for words like "FSP" and phrases like "Free State Project"?

        Yeah, but that catches only about 5% of the mentions, maybe less, and
        it's slow, and by the time the alert is sent, I've usually already
        seen it using my current methods.

        For the curious, I use a number of tools,including technorati.com and
        bloglines.com searches, coupled with rss feeds galore, and in
        combination, it works well. (none catch everything and some find some
        items faster than others, funny enough, so there is no "one true search")

        I do this other topics besides "Free State Project" (I usually don't
        search for FSP, as it hits too much offtopic items and isn't a good
        keyword) such as website clients (who is talking about them?),
        software I use (updates, bugs, security, custom code hacks), and of
        course myself (who is talking about me or the things I'm involved in).

        One neat meme going around with the more search-savvy
        individuals/companies is something called 'freedback'. Post a message
        on your own blog/website about them (service/products/questions),
        using the word 'freedback' and their name, and they will find you
        using similar tools as above, instead of you having to contact them.
        This is the ultimate in customer service... "You rang?" The resulting
        good (or bad) impression is left not only with your customer, but
        anyone who searches for you as well - meaning free googlejuice
        advertising for you, so long it's happy customers and not angry ones.