Re: [FSP] Hidden parts of New Hampshire?

  • deror0
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2006
      I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but have you set up google
      alerts for words like "FSP" and phrases like "Free State Project"?

      --
      Join the 2nd American Revolution!

      http://www.freestateproject.org/

    • Jon Isaac
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2006
        The 'Free State' of which you speak is a province in South Africa. Initially
        a country called the Orange Free State, it was founded by Afrikaners leaving
        British-controlled Cape Town. The country was annexed by the British (mainly
        for its gold and diamonds), and then became a province in the Republic of
        South Africa.

        About 15 years ago a group of Afrikaners, in an attempt to secede from what
        they saw as the increasingly dictatorial statism of the ANC government
        bought land out in the desert and founded Oranjestad (Orange City), a
        private pseudo-country. The group aimed to generate their own electricity
        and grow their own food, and thus through living separately ultimately
        achieve independence. I believe it has since foundered.

        I have visited the Orange Free State Province although I do not have a
        picture to prove it :)

        On 12/9/06, Seth Cohn <sethcohn@...> wrote:

        > As part of my daily news reading, I have a few searches that attempt
        > to find all mentions of the FSP online, just because I like to track
        > the blog/media mentions. Imagine my surprise when I found this
        > result:
        >
        > "Wits Gold intersects reefs at Free State project"
        >
        > Reefs? In New Hampshire? What?? Did I miss that part of Portsmouth Bay?
        >
        > The funniest thing was I clicked on the link and still understand
        > almost nothing about the resulting news article:
        > http://www.miningweekly.co.za/?show=99212
        > It's all (mining)geekspeak to me.
        >
        > For those who don't know, there is a South African province:
        > http://www.places.co.za/html/free_state.html
        > "The Free State with its rolling hills, wide golden plains, impressive
        > sandstone mountains and almost 340 days of sunshine per year, is a
        > haven for the outdoor enthusiast."
        >
        > Next time someone complains about NH weather, just tell them to move
        > to the 'other' Free State instead. And bonus Porcupine Points to be
        > award to the first FSPer to visit there and get photos of themselves
        > with a sign showing they are in the "Free State"
        >
        > Just a little something to dream of, now that the cold weather has set
        > in here in New Hampshire, with the first snows on the ground.
        > November's Indian summer is only a memory... so when's global warming
        > gonna make Concord into Savannah?
        > According to
        >
        > http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/global-warming-in-new-hampshire.html
        > should be happening any day now...

      • Seth Cohn
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2006
          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, deror0 <deror0@...> wrote:

          > I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but have you set up google
          > alerts for words like "FSP" and phrases like "Free State Project"?

          Yeah, but that catches only about 5% of the mentions, maybe less, and
          it's slow, and by the time the alert is sent, I've usually already
          seen it using my current methods.

          For the curious, I use a number of tools,including technorati.com and
          bloglines.com searches, coupled with rss feeds galore, and in
          combination, it works well. (none catch everything and some find some
          items faster than others, funny enough, so there is no "one true search")

          I do this other topics besides "Free State Project" (I usually don't
          search for FSP, as it hits too much offtopic items and isn't a good
          keyword) such as website clients (who is talking about them?),
          software I use (updates, bugs, security, custom code hacks), and of
          course myself (who is talking about me or the things I'm involved in).

          One neat meme going around with the more search-savvy
          individuals/companies is something called 'freedback'. Post a message
          on your own blog/website about them (service/products/questions),
          using the word 'freedback' and their name, and they will find you
          using similar tools as above, instead of you having to contact them.
          This is the ultimate in customer service... "You rang?" The resulting
          good (or bad) impression is left not only with your customer, but
          anyone who searches for you as well - meaning free googlejuice
          advertising for you, so long it's happy customers and not angry ones.