Move out of the Zone of Mediocrity

  • Gavin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2006
      I think this is very relevant to FSP recruiting. We need passionate
      people. It doesn't matter if we are hated by some, as long as others
      love us.
      http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/10/dilbert_and_the.html
      If everyone exposed to a product likes it, the product will not
      succeed... The reason that a product "everyone likes" will fail is
      because no one "loves" it. The only thing that predicts success is
      passion, even if only 10% of the consumers have it.
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2006
        The FSP mission is minimalist, reflected in the Statement of Intent:

        "I hereby state my solemn intent to move to the state of New
        Hampshire. Once there, I will exert the fullest practical effort
        toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil
        government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

        By taking a lowest-common-denominator approach, we create a framework
        within which other groups can work according to their own preferences.
        The NHU, the NHLA, the RLC, and anyone else can recruit people with
        messages and styles that appeal to various types of libertarians. The
        FSP has the Liaisons
        http://freestateproject.org/volunteer/liaisons
        to reach out to people with different interests, e.g. gun freedom,
        marriage freedom, or drug freedom.

        The FSP, like ice cream, should appeal to all libertarians. There is
        no need to insist on one flavor.

        If someone wants to take an approach that would effectively re-brand
        the FSP, we might ask him to not use the FSP name and logo, and focus
        on selling New Hampshire as The Free State.

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin" <selfishgene1776@...>

      • wdg3rd@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2006
          Not exactly the case. Nobody _loves_ frozen bagels or frozem "meals", but I don't see the Lenders or Swanson companies going out of business anytime soon.

          The theory may work with politicians and operating systems. Not in real life with real products.
          --
          Ward Griffiths wdg3rd@...

          When you let people do whatever they want, you get Woodstock. When you let governments do whatever they want, you get Auschwitz. Doug Newman

          From: freestateproject@yahoogroups.com