Re: [FSP] Can Snowbirds be Porcbirds?

  • Ron Helwig
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
      Don't forget that stuff can happen during that part of the year when
      you're not here.

      In Hampton Beach, a lot of the business owners are gone over the
      winter, and that's when they're most at risk.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • kd1843
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
        You only have to declare NH your residence but that means if you drive
        getting your license here and car registration here.
        Harriet

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
          Ayup, there are a lot of folks working into this. I thought of an idea
          on this today: are there any timeshares in NH? Yeah, there are plenty
          around ski resorts, possibly some in the lakes region as well. Would
          give you an address here.

          Mike Lorrey
          President, Lorrey Aerospace
          http://www.lorrey.biz
          Founder, Constitution Park Foundation
          Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com
        • lpb52@cotse.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
            You need a valid residential address in NH, and proof of residency in your
            particular town, such as a utility bill. The actual regulations are
            listed here:

            http://www.sos.nh.gov/voting%20in%20new%20hampshire%20new.htm

            Now, as FSP NH Info Coordinator, and in light of the voter fraud issue NH
            experienced in the last gubernatorial election where a number of
            out-of-state students were eligible to vote in NH elections, I want to
            state clearly that votership should be in conjunction with valid, legal
            residency. We have gotten a number of requests that hint at the
            equivalent of "straw man" residency, and we don't encourage or support
            those kinds of inquiries. I hope the ensuing scrutiny of NH voting
            practices resulted in that student loophole being closed, BTW, but the
            NHLA and/or CNHT folks likely know more about that than I do.

            That being said, there is no minimum number of months required by the
            State of NH, but, obviously, you can't vote in FL if you're voting in NH.
            However, you're going to have to choose primary residency for tax
            purposes, car and driver's license purposes, and certainly voting
            purposes, and not because of NH requirements. In my case, living
            temporarily in Maryland, Maryland has it's own set of requirements that
            drive things no matter what NH state law might be. I've had to bend over
            backwards in things like driving once a year to get my car registration
            renewed, pay the property taxes on my car, be in NH a certain amount of
            time per year, maintaining a physical residence and mailing address, have
            the majority of my possessions, business contacts, social relationships,
            etc. in NH to even have a chance at making the case for that. I still
            have to pay MD state taxes on money earned here.

            So see what your state says as well, and the main factor dictating primary
            residency will likely be the physical presence test (how many months out
            of the year you spend at your primary domicile vs. the other). We'd love
            it that you spend spring, summer and fall with us in NH to settle that.

            Lynn