Re: [FSP] Can Snowbirds be Porcbirds?

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 7, 2006
      Wow, Mike I was going to suggest the same thing about 'vote-birds'
      but I didn't know if the 'can't beat 'em join 'em' mentality would be
      the right thing to do in light of Fitch's fudging with the voter fraud.
      And he would be likely to prosecute THOSE folks, don't you know!

      On Apr 7, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

      > That being said, I would encourage everyone to come, spend a month
      > here, get your DL and vehicle registration, get a concealed weapons
      > permit, and register to vote. You can be a snowbird, a porcbird, or a
      > votebird.
    • Ron Helwig
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
        Don't forget that stuff can happen during that part of the year when
        you're not here.

        In Hampton Beach, a lot of the business owners are gone over the
        winter, and that's when they're most at risk.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • kd1843
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
          You only have to declare NH your residence but that means if you drive
          getting your license here and car registration here.
          Harriet

          _____

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
            Ayup, there are a lot of folks working into this. I thought of an idea
            on this today: are there any timeshares in NH? Yeah, there are plenty
            around ski resorts, possibly some in the lakes region as well. Would
            give you an address here.

            Mike Lorrey
            President, Lorrey Aerospace
            http://www.lorrey.biz
            Founder, Constitution Park Foundation
            Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com
          • lpb52@cotse.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
              You need a valid residential address in NH, and proof of residency in your
              particular town, such as a utility bill. The actual regulations are
              listed here:

              http://www.sos.nh.gov/voting%20in%20new%20hampshire%20new.htm

              Now, as FSP NH Info Coordinator, and in light of the voter fraud issue NH
              experienced in the last gubernatorial election where a number of
              out-of-state students were eligible to vote in NH elections, I want to
              state clearly that votership should be in conjunction with valid, legal
              residency. We have gotten a number of requests that hint at the
              equivalent of "straw man" residency, and we don't encourage or support
              those kinds of inquiries. I hope the ensuing scrutiny of NH voting
              practices resulted in that student loophole being closed, BTW, but the
              NHLA and/or CNHT folks likely know more about that than I do.

              That being said, there is no minimum number of months required by the
              State of NH, but, obviously, you can't vote in FL if you're voting in NH.
              However, you're going to have to choose primary residency for tax
              purposes, car and driver's license purposes, and certainly voting
              purposes, and not because of NH requirements. In my case, living
              temporarily in Maryland, Maryland has it's own set of requirements that
              drive things no matter what NH state law might be. I've had to bend over
              backwards in things like driving once a year to get my car registration
              renewed, pay the property taxes on my car, be in NH a certain amount of
              time per year, maintaining a physical residence and mailing address, have
              the majority of my possessions, business contacts, social relationships,
              etc. in NH to even have a chance at making the case for that. I still
              have to pay MD state taxes on money earned here.

              So see what your state says as well, and the main factor dictating primary
              residency will likely be the physical presence test (how many months out
              of the year you spend at your primary domicile vs. the other). We'd love
              it that you spend spring, summer and fall with us in NH to settle that.

              Lynn