Re: [FSP] Can Snowbirds be Porcbirds?

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 7, 2006
      Wow, Mike I was going to suggest the same thing about 'vote-birds'
      but I didn't know if the 'can't beat 'em join 'em' mentality would be
      the right thing to do in light of Fitch's fudging with the voter fraud.
      And he would be likely to prosecute THOSE folks, don't you know!

      On Apr 7, 2006, at 6:01 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

      > That being said, I would encourage everyone to come, spend a month
      > here, get your DL and vehicle registration, get a concealed weapons
      > permit, and register to vote. You can be a snowbird, a porcbird, or a
      > votebird.
    • Ryan Gray
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2006
        Thanks for that info. I like the term voterbird!

        Ryan

        -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
        A managed democracy is a wonderful thing, Manuel, for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers decide what is 'irresponsible'.

        Prof. Bernardo de la Paz in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
        By Robert A. Heinlein

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ron Helwig
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2006
          Don't forget that stuff can happen during that part of the year when
          you're not here.

          In Hampton Beach, a lot of the business owners are gone over the
          winter, and that's when they're most at risk.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • kd1843
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
            You only have to declare NH your residence but that means if you drive
            getting your license here and car registration here.
            Harriet

            _____

            -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
            A managed democracy is a wonderful thing, Manuel, for the managers... and
            its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as
            'responsible' and the managers decide what is 'irresponsible'.

            Prof. Bernardo de la Paz in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
            By Robert A. Heinlein

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "freestateproject
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freestateproject> " on the web.

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            _____

          • Mike Lorrey
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
              Ayup, there are a lot of folks working into this. I thought of an idea
              on this today: are there any timeshares in NH? Yeah, there are plenty
              around ski resorts, possibly some in the lakes region as well. Would
              give you an address here.

              Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com
            • lpb52@cotse.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
                You need a valid residential address in NH, and proof of residency in your
                particular town, such as a utility bill. The actual regulations are
                listed here:

                http://www.sos.nh.gov/voting%20in%20new%20hampshire%20new.htm

                Now, as FSP NH Info Coordinator, and in light of the voter fraud issue NH
                experienced in the last gubernatorial election where a number of
                out-of-state students were eligible to vote in NH elections, I want to
                state clearly that votership should be in conjunction with valid, legal
                residency. We have gotten a number of requests that hint at the
                equivalent of "straw man" residency, and we don't encourage or support
                those kinds of inquiries. I hope the ensuing scrutiny of NH voting
                practices resulted in that student loophole being closed, BTW, but the
                NHLA and/or CNHT folks likely know more about that than I do.

                That being said, there is no minimum number of months required by the
                State of NH, but, obviously, you can't vote in FL if you're voting in NH.
                However, you're going to have to choose primary residency for tax
                purposes, car and driver's license purposes, and certainly voting
                purposes, and not because of NH requirements. In my case, living
                temporarily in Maryland, Maryland has it's own set of requirements that
                drive things no matter what NH state law might be. I've had to bend over
                backwards in things like driving once a year to get my car registration
                renewed, pay the property taxes on my car, be in NH a certain amount of
                time per year, maintaining a physical residence and mailing address, have
                the majority of my possessions, business contacts, social relationships,
                etc. in NH to even have a chance at making the case for that. I still
                have to pay MD state taxes on money earned here.

                So see what your state says as well, and the main factor dictating primary
                residency will likely be the physical presence test (how many months out
                of the year you spend at your primary domicile vs. the other). We'd love
                it that you spend spring, summer and fall with us in NH to settle that.

                Lynn