Re: New Hampshire liberty activists defeat proposed smoking ban

  • Sandy Pierre
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
      Sorry about forgetting to attribute this article; I wrote it myself
      for the Free State Observer: http://www.freestateobserver.com

      --Sandy

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Citarella Pierre"
      <scitarel@...> wrote:

      > New Hampshire Smoking Ban Goes Up in Smoke
      >
      > In a clear victory for liberty activists, HB1177, the bill that would
      > have banned smoking in all New Hampshire restaurants and bars, was
      > voted ITL (Inexpedient to Legislate) and killed by the New Hampshire
      > Senate in Concord on April 6. A small cadre of approximately twenty
      > freedom fighters, both outnumbered and outfinanced by ban supporters
      > who were organized on a national level by the American Heart
      > Association, successfully tipped the scales of the outcome by
      > emailing, writing, calling and personally speaking with the members of
      > the Senate, resulting in a razor-thin victory of 12-11. Keith Murphy,
      > membership director of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, spearheaded
      > the anti-ban effort and was all smiles after the vote.
      >
      > A small group of half a dozen anti-ban activists gathered in the State
      > House cafeteria early Thursday morning to strategize. The Senate vote
      > was expected to be close, and a few Senators were thought by both
      > sides to still be on the fence. While the liberty activists went from
      > office to office, speaking to as many Senators as they could, a much
      > larger group of pro-ban activists loitered in the hallway,
      > congratulating one another on their expected success. They then
      > proceeded to take every seat in the historic but small Senate Gallery,
      > forcing the anti-ban activists to monitor the proceedings by streaming
      > audio while huddled around a laptop computer in the basement. After 1
      > 1/2 hours of impassioned Senate discussion, it remained unclear how
      > the vote would turn out. As the roll-call vote was taken, Murphy
      > quickly tallied the results and proudly proclaimed victory for the
      > liberty side.
      >
      > During the Senate debate, it was repeatedly mentioned that the pro-ban
      > supporters had bombarded the Senators with "canned" email. One
      > elderly Senator expressed displeasure with the rude manner in which
      > he, and even his wife, were treated by pro-ban supporters who called
      > him at home, and stated that in all his years as a legislator, he has
      > never been subjected to such a lobbying campaign. The anti-ban
      > activists received no such criticism. In fact, one Senator read aloud
      > an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban activist. Craig, a
      > resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free State Project and
      > signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the Senator of his
      > future district to let him know why he intends to move to New
      > Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the Senator to keep New
      > Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a "mini-Massachusetts".

    • Kevin Craig
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
        At 11:40 +0000 4/7/06, Sandy Citarella Pierre wrote:

        > In fact, one Senator read aloud
        >an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban activist. Craig, a
        >resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free State Project and
        >signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the Senator of his
        >future district to let him know why he intends to move to New
        >Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the Senator to keep New
        >Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a "mini-Massachusetts".

        <G>

        Kevin
      • Ryan Gray
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
          Very good work - thank you for sharing it with us :)

          Ryan

          --- Sandy Pierre <scitarel@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > rude manner in which
          > > he, and even his wife, were treated by pro-ban
          > supporters who called
          > > him at home, and stated that in all his years as a
          > legislator, he has
          > > never been subjected to such a lobbying campaign.
          > The anti-ban
          > > activists received no such criticism. In fact,
          > one Senator read aloud
          > > an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban
          > activist. Craig, a
          > > resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free
          > State Project and
          > > signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the
          > Senator of his
          > > future district to let him know why he intends to
          > move to New
          > > Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the
          > Senator to keep New
          > > Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a

          A managed democracy is a wonderful thing, Manuel, for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers decide what is 'irresponsible'.

          Prof. Bernardo de la Paz in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
          By Robert A. Heinlein

          http://mail.yahoo.com