Re: [FSP] Govt waste and NH (?)

  • lloydbob1
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
      Are social Security payments included in this? I know they are paid
      out of the General Fund, but, I would expect they are not included in
      the statistics of federal payments to states for highways, education,
      other Pork and emergency stuff like FEMA. I would think that because
      SS payments are made to individuals as a quasi insurance agreement
      and individuals move around, the payments would not be, or, should
      not be included in these etatistics.

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire"
      <danmcguire@...> wrote:

      > The figure from this document:
      >
      > http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf
      >
      > is that NH receives 67 cents in spending for each dollar we send to
      the feds
      > in taxes. This is the third "worst" ratio, only NJ (55 cents) and
      CT (66
      > cents) are worse.
      >
      > My guess is that the low number is due to the fact that many people
      retire
      > to warmer climates and therefore collect social security
      elsewhere. Our
      > senior senator, Gregg, chairs the budget committee so I doubt we
      are losing
      > out in opportunities for pork.
      >
      > Dan

    • Ryan Gray
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
        Also, that would not explain why Vermont (which has a
        similer climate) would recive more dinero back than
        they pay out.

        Ryan

        --- lloydbob1 <lrdan4th@...> wrote:

        > Are social Security payments included in this? I
        > know they are paid
        > out of the General Fund, but, I would expect they
        > are not included in
        > the statistics of federal payments to states for
        > highways, education,
        > other Pork and emergency stuff like FEMA. I would
        > think that because
        > SS payments are made to individuals as a quasi
        > insurance agreement
        > and individuals move around, the payments would not
        > be, or, should
        > not be included in these etatistics.
        >
        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan
        > McGuire"
        > <danmcguire@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > The figure from this document:
        > >
        > > http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf
        > >
        > > is that NH receives 67 cents in spending for each
        > dollar we send to
        > the feds
        > > in taxes. This is the third "worst" ratio, only
        > NJ (55 cents) and
        > CT (66
        > > cents) are worse.
        > >
        > > My guess is that the low number is due to the fact
        > that many people
        > retire
        > > to warmer climates and therefore collect social
        > security
        > elsewhere. Our
        > > senior senator, Gregg, chairs the budget committee
        > so I doubt we
        > are losing
        > > out in opportunities for pork.
        > >
        > > Dan

        > removed]

        A managed democracy is a wonderful thing, Manuel, for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers decide what is 'irresponsible'.

        Prof. Bernardo de la Paz in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
        By Robert A. Heinlein

        http://mail.yahoo.com