Re: [FSP] Govt waste and NH (?)

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      We are talking about that tonight on nhtaxpayerradio.com which is
      streaming.

      On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:54 PM, trukslp wrote:

      > http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?
      > pagename=reports_pigbook2006porkpercap
      >
      > I was surprised to see NH so high on the list of states and pork
      > project spending. What gives?
      >
      > (I realize it is a small population state so total over capita would
      > be smaller to most larger states.)
      >
      > - Thomas
      > Queens, NYC
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Lorrey
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
        Yeah, you have to compare the spending vs per capita income, and per
        capita taxes. Granite Staters are among the highest average incomes.
        You also have to ask this site what it is they consider pork. I think
        it is questionable to consider infrastructure spending as "pork", such
        as bridges, highways, flood control, etc. Whether the federal
        government should be funding such things is a separate question.

        I consider pork to be funds for stupid things like museums and tourist
        sites, research, farm subsidies as well as subsidies for other special
        interests, as well as contracts for things that the agency giving the
        contract didn't ask for, didn't request from congress, to companies
        based in the home district of the congressperson who wrote the contract
        funds into the budget.

        If the people of a district need a bridge, or highway, or offramp, or
        levee, or a dam, port dredging, airport expansion, etc, that is one
        thing. Those are arguably, properly in the realm of the "public goods"
        that statists say is the proper role of government, things that benefit
        the general public and may arguably be difficult to pay for strictly
        through market mechanisms. Therefore such funds shouldn't be considered
        "pork". I'd argue the government can pay for them other ways, such as
        through tolls, user fees, etc. but that is a separate debate.

        --- Jason P Sorens <jsorens@...> wrote:

        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "trukslp" <trukslp@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?
        > > pagename=reports_pigbook2006porkpercap
        > >
        > > I was surprised to see NH so high on the list of states and pork
        > > project spending. What gives?
        > >
        > > (I realize it is a small population state so total over capita
        > would
        > > be smaller to most larger states.)
        > >
        > > - Thomas
        > > Queens, NYC
        > >

        > Pork per capita tends to be high for small states because of the
        > disproportionality of the Senate. The other main determinant of pork
        > is seniority of a state's representatives. It's really not an
        > indicator of freedom culture. New Hampshire is one of the select few
        > states that actually pay a lot more to the federal government in
        > taxes
        > than they receive in expenditures, so it's certainly not as if New
        > Hampshirites are dependent on federal money:
        > http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/92.html
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Mike Lorrey
        President, Lorrey Aerospace