New Hampshire liberty activists defeat proposed smoking ban

  • Sandy Citarella Pierre
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
      New Hampshire Smoking Ban Goes Up in Smoke

      In a clear victory for liberty activists, HB1177, the bill that would
      have banned smoking in all New Hampshire restaurants and bars, was
      voted ITL (Inexpedient to Legislate) and killed by the New Hampshire
      Senate in Concord on April 6. A small cadre of approximately twenty
      freedom fighters, both outnumbered and outfinanced by ban supporters
      who were organized on a national level by the American Heart
      Association, successfully tipped the scales of the outcome by
      emailing, writing, calling and personally speaking with the members of
      the Senate, resulting in a razor-thin victory of 12-11. Keith Murphy,
      membership director of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, spearheaded
      the anti-ban effort and was all smiles after the vote.

      A small group of half a dozen anti-ban activists gathered in the State
      House cafeteria early Thursday morning to strategize. The Senate vote
      was expected to be close, and a few Senators were thought by both
      sides to still be on the fence. While the liberty activists went from
      office to office, speaking to as many Senators as they could, a much
      larger group of pro-ban activists loitered in the hallway,
      congratulating one another on their expected success. They then
      proceeded to take every seat in the historic but small Senate Gallery,
      forcing the anti-ban activists to monitor the proceedings by streaming
      audio while huddled around a laptop computer in the basement. After 1
      1/2 hours of impassioned Senate discussion, it remained unclear how
      the vote would turn out. As the roll-call vote was taken, Murphy
      quickly tallied the results and proudly proclaimed victory for the
      liberty side.

      During the Senate debate, it was repeatedly mentioned that the pro-ban
      supporters had bombarded the Senators with "canned" email. One
      elderly Senator expressed displeasure with the rude manner in which
      he, and even his wife, were treated by pro-ban supporters who called
      him at home, and stated that in all his years as a legislator, he has
      never been subjected to such a lobbying campaign. The anti-ban
      activists received no such criticism. In fact, one Senator read aloud
      an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban activist. Craig, a
      resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free State Project and
      signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the Senator of his
      future district to let him know why he intends to move to New
      Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the Senator to keep New
      Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a "mini-Massachusetts".
    • Sandy Pierre
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
        Sorry about forgetting to attribute this article; I wrote it myself
        for the Free State Observer: http://www.freestateobserver.com

        --Sandy

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Citarella Pierre"
        <scitarel@...> wrote:

        > New Hampshire Smoking Ban Goes Up in Smoke
        >
        > In a clear victory for liberty activists, HB1177, the bill that would
        > have banned smoking in all New Hampshire restaurants and bars, was
        > voted ITL (Inexpedient to Legislate) and killed by the New Hampshire
        > Senate in Concord on April 6. A small cadre of approximately twenty
        > freedom fighters, both outnumbered and outfinanced by ban supporters
        > who were organized on a national level by the American Heart
        > Association, successfully tipped the scales of the outcome by
        > emailing, writing, calling and personally speaking with the members of
        > the Senate, resulting in a razor-thin victory of 12-11. Keith Murphy,
        > membership director of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, spearheaded
        > the anti-ban effort and was all smiles after the vote.
        >
        > A small group of half a dozen anti-ban activists gathered in the State
        > House cafeteria early Thursday morning to strategize. The Senate vote
        > was expected to be close, and a few Senators were thought by both
        > sides to still be on the fence. While the liberty activists went from
        > office to office, speaking to as many Senators as they could, a much
        > larger group of pro-ban activists loitered in the hallway,
        > congratulating one another on their expected success. They then
        > proceeded to take every seat in the historic but small Senate Gallery,
        > forcing the anti-ban activists to monitor the proceedings by streaming
        > audio while huddled around a laptop computer in the basement. After 1
        > 1/2 hours of impassioned Senate discussion, it remained unclear how
        > the vote would turn out. As the roll-call vote was taken, Murphy
        > quickly tallied the results and proudly proclaimed victory for the
        > liberty side.
        >
        > During the Senate debate, it was repeatedly mentioned that the pro-ban
        > supporters had bombarded the Senators with "canned" email. One
        > elderly Senator expressed displeasure with the rude manner in which
        > he, and even his wife, were treated by pro-ban supporters who called
        > him at home, and stated that in all his years as a legislator, he has
        > never been subjected to such a lobbying campaign. The anti-ban
        > activists received no such criticism. In fact, one Senator read aloud
        > an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban activist. Craig, a
        > resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free State Project and
        > signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the Senator of his
        > future district to let him know why he intends to move to New
        > Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the Senator to keep New
        > Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a "mini-Massachusetts".

      • Kevin Craig
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
          At 11:40 +0000 4/7/06, Sandy Citarella Pierre wrote:

          > In fact, one Senator read aloud
          >an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban activist. Craig, a
          >resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free State Project and
          >signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the Senator of his
          >future district to let him know why he intends to move to New
          >Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the Senator to keep New
          >Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a "mini-Massachusetts".

          <G>

          Kevin
        • Ryan Gray
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
            Very good work - thank you for sharing it with us :)

            Ryan

            --- Sandy Pierre <scitarel@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > rude manner in which
            > > he, and even his wife, were treated by pro-ban
            > supporters who called
            > > him at home, and stated that in all his years as a
            > legislator, he has
            > > never been subjected to such a lobbying campaign.
            > The anti-ban
            > > activists received no such criticism. In fact,
            > one Senator read aloud
            > > an email he received from Kevin Craig, an anti-ban
            > activist. Craig, a
            > > resident of Texas, is a participant in the Free
            > State Project and
            > > signer of the First 1000 pledge, and wrote to the
            > Senator of his
            > > future district to let him know why he intends to
            > move to New
            > > Hampshire with his wife and children. He urged the
            > Senator to keep New
            > > Hampshire as it is rather than turn it into a

            A managed democracy is a wonderful thing, Manuel, for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers decide what is 'irresponsible'.

            Prof. Bernardo de la Paz in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
            By Robert A. Heinlein

            http://mail.yahoo.com