Re: [FSP] Govt waste and NH (?)

  • Dan McGuire
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
      The figure from this document:

      http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf

      is that NH receives 67 cents in spending for each dollar we send to the feds
      in taxes. This is the third "worst" ratio, only NJ (55 cents) and CT (66
      cents) are worse.

      My guess is that the low number is due to the fact that many people retire
      to warmer climates and therefore collect social security elsewhere. Our
      senior senator, Gregg, chairs the budget committee so I doubt we are losing
      out in opportunities for pork.

      Dan

    • lloydbob1
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
        Are social Security payments included in this? I know they are paid
        out of the General Fund, but, I would expect they are not included in
        the statistics of federal payments to states for highways, education,
        other Pork and emergency stuff like FEMA. I would think that because
        SS payments are made to individuals as a quasi insurance agreement
        and individuals move around, the payments would not be, or, should
        not be included in these etatistics.

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire"
        <danmcguire@...> wrote:

        > The figure from this document:
        >
        > http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf
        >
        > is that NH receives 67 cents in spending for each dollar we send to
        the feds
        > in taxes. This is the third "worst" ratio, only NJ (55 cents) and
        CT (66
        > cents) are worse.
        >
        > My guess is that the low number is due to the fact that many people
        retire
        > to warmer climates and therefore collect social security
        elsewhere. Our
        > senior senator, Gregg, chairs the budget committee so I doubt we
        are losing
        > out in opportunities for pork.
        >
        > Dan

      • Ryan Gray
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
          Also, that would not explain why Vermont (which has a
          similer climate) would recive more dinero back than
          they pay out.

          Ryan

          --- lloydbob1 <lrdan4th@...> wrote:

          > Are social Security payments included in this? I
          > know they are paid
          > out of the General Fund, but, I would expect they
          > are not included in
          > the statistics of federal payments to states for
          > highways, education,
          > other Pork and emergency stuff like FEMA. I would
          > think that because
          > SS payments are made to individuals as a quasi
          > insurance agreement
          > and individuals move around, the payments would not
          > be, or, should
          > not be included in these etatistics.
          >
          > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan
          > McGuire"
          > <danmcguire@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The figure from this document:
          > >
          > > http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf
          > >
          > > is that NH receives 67 cents in spending for each
          > dollar we send to
          > the feds
          > > in taxes. This is the third "worst" ratio, only
          > NJ (55 cents) and
          > CT (66
          > > cents) are worse.
          > >
          > > My guess is that the low number is due to the fact
          > that many people
          > retire
          > > to warmer climates and therefore collect social
          > security
          > elsewhere. Our
          > > senior senator, Gregg, chairs the budget committee
          > so I doubt we
          > are losing
          > > out in opportunities for pork.
          > >
          > > Dan

          > removed]

          A managed democracy is a wonderful thing, Manuel, for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers decide what is 'irresponsible'.

          Prof. Bernardo de la Paz in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
          By Robert A. Heinlein

          http://mail.yahoo.com