Govt waste and NH (?)

  • trukslp
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?
      pagename=reports_pigbook2006porkpercap

      I was surprised to see NH so high on the list of states and pork
      project spending. What gives?

      (I realize it is a small population state so total over capita would
      be smaller to most larger states.)

      - Thomas
      Queens, NYC
    • Jason P Sorens
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "trukslp" <trukslp@...> wrote:

        > http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?
        > pagename=reports_pigbook2006porkpercap
        >
        > I was surprised to see NH so high on the list of states and pork
        > project spending. What gives?
        >
        > (I realize it is a small population state so total over capita would
        > be smaller to most larger states.)
        >
        > - Thomas
        > Queens, NYC

        Pork per capita tends to be high for small states because of the
        disproportionality of the Senate. The other main determinant of pork
        is seniority of a state's representatives. It's really not an
        indicator of freedom culture. New Hampshire is one of the select few
        states that actually pay a lot more to the federal government in taxes
        than they receive in expenditures, so it's certainly not as if New
        Hampshirites are dependent on federal money:
        http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/92.html
      • Jane
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
          We are talking about that tonight on nhtaxpayerradio.com which is
          streaming.

          On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:54 PM, trukslp wrote:

          > http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?
          > pagename=reports_pigbook2006porkpercap
          >
          > I was surprised to see NH so high on the list of states and pork
          > project spending. What gives?
          >
          > (I realize it is a small population state so total over capita would
          > be smaller to most larger states.)
          >
          > - Thomas
          > Queens, NYC
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Lorrey
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
            Yeah, you have to compare the spending vs per capita income, and per
            capita taxes. Granite Staters are among the highest average incomes.
            You also have to ask this site what it is they consider pork. I think
            it is questionable to consider infrastructure spending as "pork", such
            as bridges, highways, flood control, etc. Whether the federal
            government should be funding such things is a separate question.

            I consider pork to be funds for stupid things like museums and tourist
            sites, research, farm subsidies as well as subsidies for other special
            interests, as well as contracts for things that the agency giving the
            contract didn't ask for, didn't request from congress, to companies
            based in the home district of the congressperson who wrote the contract
            funds into the budget.

            If the people of a district need a bridge, or highway, or offramp, or
            levee, or a dam, port dredging, airport expansion, etc, that is one
            thing. Those are arguably, properly in the realm of the "public goods"
            that statists say is the proper role of government, things that benefit
            the general public and may arguably be difficult to pay for strictly
            through market mechanisms. Therefore such funds shouldn't be considered
            "pork". I'd argue the government can pay for them other ways, such as
            through tolls, user fees, etc. but that is a separate debate.

            --- Jason P Sorens <jsorens@...> wrote:

            > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "trukslp" <trukslp@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer?
            > > pagename=reports_pigbook2006porkpercap
            > >
            > > I was surprised to see NH so high on the list of states and pork
            > > project spending. What gives?
            > >
            > > (I realize it is a small population state so total over capita
            > would
            > > be smaller to most larger states.)
            > >
            > > - Thomas
            > > Queens, NYC
            > >

            > Pork per capita tends to be high for small states because of the
            > disproportionality of the Senate. The other main determinant of pork
            > is seniority of a state's representatives. It's really not an
            > indicator of freedom culture. New Hampshire is one of the select few
            > states that actually pay a lot more to the federal government in
            > taxes
            > than they receive in expenditures, so it's certainly not as if New
            > Hampshirites are dependent on federal money:
            > http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/92.html
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Mike Lorrey
            President, Lorrey Aerospace