Freestaters Dan McGuire & Dan Belforti Discuss Republican Liberty Caucus and Libertarianism, Friday at noon

  • Dan Belforti
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2006
      Dan Belforti

      Listen to Dan Belforti's Left, Right, and Correct every Friday on
      WSCA 106.1 FM, Portsmouth, NH or streamed live online.
      3/15/2006
      L,R & C Welcomes Dan McGuire, Chair of NH Republican Liberty Caucus
      Can the Republican Party be saved?

      Dan McGuire, Chair of the NH Republican Liberty Caucus (RLC), is trying to restore his party back to its principles of individual rights, limited government and free enterprise. ”The Conscience of the Republican Party” was founded in 1990 in an attempt to roll back decades of government “nannyism”. This will require a great deal of public education and grassroots lobbying but the most important means of changing public policy is to change public officials. Therefore, the Republican Liberty Caucus works to elect pro-liberty Republicans to offices at all levels, partisan and non-partisan, in both primary and general elections. The Republican Liberty Caucus is committed not to just electing more Republicans …but better ones, as well.

      The RLC, http://www.rlcnh.org , may be seen as the healthy libertarian branch within the rotten Republican tree. There is a similar movement within the Democratic Party, called the Democratic Freedom Caucus, http://www.progress.org/dfc/ .

      Tune in this Friday from noon to 1pm to Portsmouth Community Radio, 106.1 FM in Portsmouth area or through streaming audio on your computer at The Wire Audiostream, http://64.140.205.96/wire_radio/ for a lively and entertaining discussion between fellow libertarian electrical engineers, Dan B. and Dan M.

      Besides being the Chairman of the RLCNH, Dan McGuire is involved in the NH Liberty Alliance http://www.nhliberty.org/, CNHT, Granite State Ambassadors and is on the NH Republican Party Platform Committee. Dan and his wife Carol have a cable access TV show in Manchester called “Your State House”.

      Do you think we should end the occupation of Iraq?

      Make your voice heard this weekend in Concord and around the world. Join us on Saturday, March 18 at noon! There will be a PEACE MARCH in Concord from the NH National Guard Armory to the State House (roughly a mile) beginning at 12:00. The NH National Guard Armory is at the intersection of Loudon and Airport Road. We will be calling for an end to the occupation of Iraq, for our tax dollars to fund human needs and the environment instead of war, for our troops to be brought home from Iraq, and to proclaim that there should be no war on Iran. More info at http://www.nhpeaceaction.org/

      Comments (1)

      3/3/2006
      LeftRightAndCorrect.com Welcomes The Wire’s Founder Dave Karlotski
      Please tune in this Friday from noon to 1pm on 106.1FM Portsmouth Community Radio, or thru your computer at The Wire Audiostream http://64.140.205.96/wire_radio/ for an entertaining and enlightening discussion with The Wire founder, Dave Karlotski. We’ll discuss the correct answers to ending the two party monopoly and for politicians to LEAD and not follow as has been done in the past with Republican and Democratic representatives in Washington DC.

      The Wire has been wildly successful promoting local production of music. Don’t miss the RPM Super CD Listening Party on March 9, during which we will take over downtown Portsmouth and flood it with new local music, playing tracks from every completed project! The party starts at 7pm at The Music Hall, then at 8:30pm will move on to 4 simultaneous listening rooms at The Portmouth Brewery, The Press Room, The Muddy River Smokehouse and The Red Door. See http://www.wirenh.com and http://www.rpmchallenge.com/ for more information.

      Also, Dan wishes to remember the great libertarian leader and former Presidential candidate, Harry Browne, who passed away on Wednesday, March 1st. Please visit Michael Cloud and Carla Howell’s tribute to our friend Harry at http://www.centerforsmallgovernment.com/harrybrowne.htm

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”
      2006 Libertarian Candidate for U.S.Congress
      New Hampshire, 1st District - http://www.belforti.org

      Comments (0)

      3/1/2006
      Smoking Ban in NH Restaurants Defended
      I love debating the NH smoking ban issue (Do you? If so, please leave a comment at link below) because there are competing rights that need to be considered and evaluated. Most libertarians are probably on the side of private property rights in that a restaurant should have the right to allow or disallow smoking in their place of business.

      Public health, however, should also be a consideration. There may be a place for local or state laws that regulate the safety and cleanliness of restaurants, and regulating the quality of the air doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. When we wake up as a country and legalize marijuana (between 2012 and 2020?), it seems reasonable restaurants should not allow pot smoking either.

      Business has improved on average where smoking bans have been introduced. Not that the ends justify the means, but the world would arguably be a better place if smokers were prevented from infringing upon the rights and clean air of non-smokers. I would also suspect a more civil society with less conflict under such a limited government arrangement.

      My final two cents (at least for today) on this subject is to repeat my recognition of the validity of the various property rights arguments AGAINST the ban but to offer more support FOR the ban. As your FEDERAL rep to congress, we are all still on the same page as I agree to keep the Feds out of it completely (see my campaign web site http://www.belforti.org to debate my campaign issues please, I love constructive criticism as it helps me to fine tune our message). As for state and local bans, however, I believe there should be a ban for the following reasons. Can also add these cases to the mountain of arguments proving the advantages of limited government libertarianism over anarchy as well.

      1) Should we allow customers of a restaurant or bar to play Russian roulette with guns with each other, even IF all of the customers and employees knew there was a risk of death? With 2nd hand smoke, you’ll never know if the “potential bullet” actually killed you since the toxic air that caused your cancer would take months. And many of the customers and all employees don’t use the “guns/cigarettes” so it’s not a fair game to them as they get no benefit. (although neither do the smokers - it’s such a nasty addiction)

      2) At the local or state level, should we allow a restaurant to remain open if it consistently makes many customers sick from spoiled food or unclean facilities? Of course, in an unregulated market, restaurants won’t remain profitable for long if it continues to do this but might stay open anyways if wealthy owners willing to take the loss. In popular tourist destinations, unwitting customers will occasionally eat there to their detriment.

      Local or state government should play a legitimate role in protecting public health (and protecting individuals from force and fraud) in both cases. Let’s give the left (and progressive libertarians like me) this one particular issue (and the environment issue by assessing pollution user fees and eliminating govt subsidies - want to discuss this subject anyone?) so that we can concentrate the voters’ minds on most other issues where the lefties/regulators are completely wrong and are without social benefits.

      As for public properties or parks that are outside, no pot smoking or cigarette smoking should be allowed, or at the very least restricted to certain areas and the butts disposed of properly (which isn’t happening). Most outdoor private sports stadiums restrict smoking to certain areas which seems to work fine.

      Clearly, government at ALL levels has overstepped its bounds and it pains me to favor more regulation, but in this case, it is http://www.TheCorrectAnswer.com

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”
      2006 Libertarian Candidate for U.S.Congress
      New Hampshire, 1st District - http://www.belforti.org

      Comments (0)

      2/24/2006
      Rachel Forrest Returns to LR&C
      …to discuss issues of the day, including the progress of HB529, the bill to protect father’s rights. See www.nhcustody.org for more info. Rachel tirelessly advocates for children to have the ability to have their father in their lives, while also writing for the Portsmouth Herald and hosting her own radio show, “Wine Me, Dine Me” on Portsmouth Community Radio.

      Dan will be the guest on tonight’s edition of “Wine Me, Dine Me” at 6pm on 106.1 FM or streaming audio on your PC at http://64.140.205.96/wire_radio/

      Please join Dan and Rachel at tomorrow night’s fundraiser dance at the VFW on 238 Deer Street in Portsmouth. More info at www.portsmouthcommunityradio.org

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”
      2006 Libertarian Candidate for U.S.Congress
      New Hampshire, 1st District - http://www.belforti.org

      Comments (0)

      2/16/2006
      L,R & C Welcomes Kelly Halldorson
      Kelly Halldorson

      Blog: www.halldorson.com

      Comments (0)

      1/31/2006
      Super Bowl Media Day at LeftRightandCorrect.com: Correct Response to the State of the Union
      The correct response to the State of the Union on next Friday’s edition of LeftRightandCorrect.com at noon next Friday, Feb 10th on 106.1 FM Portsmouth Community Radio or through streaming audio at The Wire.

      You Pick Super Bowl 40 Correct Answer; Win A Prize!

      Most Super Bowls have been one sided historically, and this one reaks of a blowout. My Super Bowl XL Prediction is Pittsburgh Steelers 38 Seattle Seahawks 13. My brother Mark and I are in agreement, and we include this pick as part of our Belforti Bros NFL Picks of the Week, which is documented at 4-1 for playoff games this season and 68-41, 62.4%, over the past 3 seasons.

      Steelers QB Big Ben Roethlisberger is going to win this game and continue building his resume as the best QB in NFL history. I believe that Ben is 2nd only to fellow future Hall of Fame QB Tom Brady, the youngest QB until Sunday to ever win a Super Bowl (SB36, age 24.5, Aug 3, 1977) and winner of two more rings. Good thing those Patriots’ have 10 fingers, as future Hall of Fame DL Richard Seymour pointed out (C’mon Richard, a little Patriots’ discount please on that huge contract next year). Our Beloved New England Patriots will likely get it back from the Steelers next year in the AFC Championship.

      Who do YOU think will win Sunday? Please post below at comment link! Closest to the “Correct ” score wins a free gift! How would you help the State of the Union? Best answers help move public opinion in the correct direction.

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”
      206 Libertarian Candidate for U.S.Congress
      New Hampshire, First District
      http://belforti.org/2004campaign/issues.html

      Comments (9)

      1/27/2006
      Rachel Forrest and Marc Snider Return to Defend Father’s Rights on LR&C
      Not nearly enough attention has been given to fathers getting *the shaft* in family courts all around the country - essentially having their children taken from them. Marc Snider of Merrimack NH is devoting his time and energy towards changing that. His tactics may be *unsettling* the state house, but his cause is getting attention. ( Concord Monitor, 1/26/06 )

      Marc founded NHCUSTODY.ORG in early 2005 as a result of finding himself victimized by the family law system. He has resolved to either see through the advent of legislative reforms toward equity for children and fit non-custodial parents in NH, or to warn the next generation about the dangers of starting a family.

      Tune in today to hear what forward steps this second time LRC guest sees for 2006. Rachel Forrest joins Dan in studio to discuss this important issue. You can listen to Left, Right & Correct noon to 1pm on 106.1FM in Portsmouth or on your computers through real player or other at The Wire Radio Audiostream.

      Also up for discussion is the proposed ban on tobacco smoking within NH restaurants. A fascinating debate between property rights advocates and public health advocates that should entertain and inform as always on this week’s edition of “Left, Right & Correct!”……

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”

      Comments (0)

      1/20/2006
      NH Senate Passes School Choice Bill, Belforti Bros Correct 3 of 4
      Hello freedom friends,
      I just received this email update from the Friedman Foundation. Huge
      step in the “Correct” direction, in my opinion, but I share the valid
      concern (as does Friedman and other fine libertarians) of excess
      government control over the use of school vouchers. On a positive
      note, food stamps have not destroyed the quality and variety of
      supermarkets, let’s work hard to ensure vouchers do not destroy the
      quality and variety of private/home schooling.

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”
      2006 Libertarian Candidate for U.S. Congress
      New Hampshire, First District
      http://belforti.org/2004campaign/issues.html

      (please comment on campaign positions page above to update for 2006,
      I appreciate constructive criticism!)

      INDIANAPOLIS - Today, the New Hampshire Senate passed a bill that
      would create the state’s first school choice program, giving nearly
      1,000 low and middle income students the opportunity to attend a
      school that meets their educational needs.

      “The New Hampshire Senate took a giant first step towards empowering
      families with educational options,” said Robert Enlow, executive
      director of the Friedman Foundation. “During our three years of
      working alongside local leaders in New Hampshire, we’ve seen the
      Granite State take tremendous strides forward in its fight for
      educational freedom.”

      Senate Bill 131 creates a new type of school choice program, which is
      a hybrid between traditional state-funded school vouchers and
      scholarship tax credits. The state will set up a non-profit called
      the 21st Century Scholars Fund, a public-private venture that will be
      dedicated to providing scholarships to students to attend a school of
      their choice. The legislature will then appropriate $2 million in
      direct aid, while also making $500,000 in tax credits available to
      individual or corporate tax payers who make donations to the fund.

      “Senators Carl Johnson, Chuck Morse, Dick Green and Bob Clegg have
      proven their dedication to improving education in the Granite State,”
      Enlow said. “Without leadership like theirs, and the determination of
      the many long-time supporters of school choice, the future of New
      Hampshire’s children would be tied to an educational system that is
      stuck in the past.”

      The bill now goes to the House, which in addition the acting on SB
      131 will also be working on several of its own school choice measures.

      The Milton and Rose D. Friedman Foundation
      http://www.friedmanfoundation.org , dubbed “the nation’s leading
      voucher advocates” by the Wall Street Journal, is a non-profit
      organization established in 1996. The origins of the foundation lie
      in the Friedmans’ long-standing concern about the serious
      deficiencies in America’s elementary and secondary public schools.
      The best way to improve the quality of education, they believe, is to
      enable all parents with the freedom to choose the schools that their
      children attend. The Friedman Foundation builds upon this vision,
      clarifies its meaning to the public and amplifies the national call
      for true education reform through school choice.

      Comments from last week’s show: (see comments link at end of posting to see others’ picks and to provide your predictions!). Here’s my 2 cents for this weekend’s Championship Games….

      Well, 3 out of 4 is not too bad (and we selected 3 of 4 underdogs, and 2 for 2 on out top 2 picks). Our only incorrect choice was the more talented Patriots, but the Champs gave the game away with 5 unforced errors (3 fumbles and two costly interceptions). Denver needed those gifts to score since the Patriots gained 420 yards to only 286 for Denver. We look for Pittsburgh +3.5 to beat the lucky Broncos, 31-20, and the Carolina Panthers +4 to upset Seattle Seahawks (Carolina 24, Seattle 13). The weak Seattle secondary will be unable to contain WR Steve Smith and a playoff proven QB Jake Delhomme.

      These two victims of the Patriot Dynasty were elated the Champions miraculously lost, now they have a chance to win it all…

      Super Bowl 40: Pittsburgh 30, Carolina 17

      Dan Bel40%Incorrect

      Belforti Bros Documented NFL Record Against the Spread, Top 2 Picks of the Week:
      2005: 22-15
      2004: 23-13
      2003: 22-12
      Total over 3 years: 67-40 62.6%

      Comments (0)

      1/12/2006
      Left,Right & Correct Predicts the NFL Playoff Games
      …and plenty of politics of course! Speaking of which, what is up in Maryland with that Walmart Law recently passed? Maryland is now assessing companies for not spending enough on health care?! We know Walmart should be assessed significantly higher impact fees, and higher local property taxes for the traffic congestion and pollution it creates in the local area (with an equivalent reduction to residential property taxes); but to be punished for attempting to keep health care costs under control??! The correct answer is to get corporations and government out of the health care sector. If you wish to have government assistance for the poor and unemployed, use universal health care vouchers for maximum benefits to the consumer at a much lower cost to the taxpayer.

      Dan Belforti and Mike Vrabel

      The main dish served will be this Saturday and Sunday’s NFL games; the 8 best teams compete in the single game elimination tournament. If that’s not enough excitement, a week from Sunday’s NFL Championship games features the 4 winners from this weekend to decide the participants in the Super Bowl on Feb 5th in Detroit. The question of the hour - Can the Pats 3-peat?

      Sportswriter/financial planner/rotary member/Republican activist Justin Finn of Portsmouth will analyze this weekend’s NFL games along with Dan, keeping an eagle eye on the highly anticipated match between the undefeated at home Denver Broncos (13-3 overall, 8-0 at home) and our beloved New England Patriots, who have won an NFL record 10 playoff games in a row, winning 3 Super Bowls over the past 4 years. If the Patriots win, they are on their way to becoming honored as the greatest dynasty in NFL history - - possibly all of sports!

      The 2nd half of the Belforti Bros team, Mark will be calling in to round off the show. The Belforti Bros tandem have compiled an incredible record (documented through their weekly confidential email distribution) selecting NFL games vs. the spread the past 3 years (66 wins and 40 losses, 62%). The gurus’ predictions will be broadcasted live on Friday between noon and 1pm - don’t miss out! Listen in live on 106.1 FM in Portsmouth, or over your computer at http://64.140.205.96:8004/listen.pls

      Check the comments section below for our predictions after the show. Hint: All 4 games are rematches from the regular season - - and the past does NOT equal the present or future….

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”
      Belforti Brothers eMail Distribution
      NFL Gurus - http://football.belforti.org/

      Comments (7)

      1/6/2006
      LRC Invites Peace Activist to Give “A Piece of *His* Mind”
      Laurence (Larry) J. Gillis, former host of WSCA’s “A Piece of Your Mind” joins Dan in studio in welcoming Guy Chichester to “Left, Right & Correct” for what promises to be a spirited and didactic interview.

      A founding member of the Seacoast Anti-Pollution League (SAPL), Guy Chichester was arrested last month for refusing to leave Senator Judd Gregg’s office. He and 7 other activists were petitioning the Senator to hold a public meeting on the war in Iraq; while they waited, they took turns reading the names of men and women in the US armed forces who had been killed since last June.

      Larry Gillis is retired from his private law practice of 33 years. He is currently an associate professor of law at Kaplan University; has been an Adjunct Instructor at UNH, McIntosh, Hesser and others; guest lecturer and editorial writer ( http://laurencejgillis.com/_wsn/page4.html)

      Please tune in this Friday at noon to 1pm on 106.1FM in Portsmouth or on your computer through streaming audio link provided by The Wire at http://64.140.205.96:8004/listen.pls (limited number of available ports, so arrive early!)

      NFL Playoff Predictions:
      It’s that time of the year! At 12:50pm, Dan and Brian will discuss their playoff projections. One game they agree on is Living Legend Tom Brady and the dynasty New England Patriots over the injury depleted Jacksonville Jaguars this Saturday night by double digits. Go Pats! http://football.belforti.org

      Dan Belforti - Investment Manager
      Belforti Investments - http://www.belforti.com
      Portsmouth Community Radio WSCA 106.1 FM
      Political Talk Show Host - http://www.leftrightandcorrect.com
      “Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends”

      Comments (0)

      Archives Calendar

      March 2006 M T W T F S S
      « Feb
      1 2 3 4 5
      6 7 8 9 10 11 12
      13 14 15 16 17 18 19
      20 21 22 23 24 25 26
      27 28 29 30 31

      Belforti.org designed and developed by Lance Jonn Romanoff

      Visitors:

      Every Friday from noon to 1 PM, tune in to "Left, Right & Correct with Dan Belforti & Friends" live on 106.1 FM WSCA, Portsmouth Community Radio, "The Clear Alternative".

      Travel with me on a journey together to discover the truths of the universe. Stay tuned, listen and learn with me.

      What Is The Goal of Left, Right & Correct?

      People usually vote against who or what they don't want rather than supporting what the candidate is advocating. Since our present political system does not empower third party candidates (through instant runoff voting or proportional representation, fairvote.org), voters are forced to choose between the lesser of two evils. Political parties and politicians often wage misinformation campaigns to sway public opinion of those not paying close attention. This is a proven strategy by the two majority parties to get elected, but it is not leadership. Are the voters asking the right questions, or are the questions being framed for them to limit the scope of the debate? A search for the correct answers to complex public policy questions is a noble goal, but not a successful campaign strategy.

      The primary goal of "Left, Right & Correct", is to search together for the answers to complex public policy questions, and in the process learn from each other and enable us to teach others what we have discovered. A more enlightened and educated electorate is necessary in order to elect more qualified and intelligent leaders that will help solve the many challenges that our country will inevitably encounter in the coming years.

      Please email wsca@... with any questions or suggestions.

      Learn more about:
      Dan Belforti's 2004 Congressional Campaign