Re: [FSP] NH House Real ID vote

  • Karl Beisel
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
      Chris,

      There is a quirk in the way the NH legislature works that is often
      confusing. The full body does not vote on the bill itself, but on
      whether or not to accept the committee report. In this case the
      committee recommended the bill be killed ("Inexpedient to Legislate",
      or ITL). However, the full House disagreed with the committee and
      voted to overturn the committee report. Thus, a NAY vote is actually a
      vote in favor of the bill, and a YEA vote is a vote against it.

      I hope this clarifies things.

      - Karl

      http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2006/HB1582.html

      > Result : 84 yes / 217 no

      (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/rollcall/rollcallsbyvotesummary.asp?
      legislativebody=H)

      > Was there some other bill put forward on Friday that's not yet on the
      > NH House website?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

    • David Deedon
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
        Try this link for the roll call vote (the one in the post does not work)

        http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/rollcall/rollcallsbyvotedetail.asp?sessionyear=2006&voteno=113&body=H

        David D

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
          Chris Barnhart wrote on 3/11/2006, 4:00 AM:

          > On Friday (3-10) I heard that the NH House had a vote related to the
          > Real ID act. The news I heard was good - they had rejected
          > participating in the Real ID act! However, scanning the house
          > records for Wednesday (3-8) I found the opposite:
          >
          > HB1582 : prohibiting New Hampshire from participating in a national
          > identification card system.
          > Bill text : http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2006/HB1582.html
          >
          > Result : 84 yes / 217 no

          (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/rollcall/rollcallsbyvotesummary.asp?legislativebody=H)

          > Was there some other bill put forward on Friday that's not yet on the
          > NH House website?

          Fear not. How it happened was that the bill was on the 'Consent
          Calendar' (stuff that isn't supposed to be controversial, all voted on
          together, all up or all down) as 'ITL' ('Inexpedient To Legislate').
          First it had to be pulled off the Consent Calendar so it could be
          addressed separately. Then 'ITL' had to be voted on. It failed ("No, we
          disagree that it's inexpedient to legislate") by the margin you cite.
          Then it was moved 'OTP' ('Ought To Pass'), and another vote was taken on
          _that_ motion. It passed resoundingly, and is off to the Senate.
          --

          --= Ya can't blame me: I vote for liberty. =--
          BikerBill=- ©¿©¬
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
            An excellent example of how you need to pay attention to what the bill
            status is coming into the vote. Whether it is OTP or ITL determines
            what a yea or nay vote means.

            "See, no isn't always no!" ;)

            --- Bill Alleman <Bill245@...> wrote:

            > Chris Barnhart wrote on 3/11/2006, 4:00 AM:
            >
            > > On Friday (3-10) I heard that the NH House had a vote related to
            > the
            > > Real ID act. The news I heard was good - they had rejected
            > > participating in the Real ID act! However, scanning the house
            > > records for Wednesday (3-8) I found the opposite:
            > >
            > > HB1582 : prohibiting New Hampshire from participating in a
            > national
            > > identification card system.
            > > Bill text :
            > http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2006/HB1582.html
            > >
            > > Result : 84 yes / 217 no

            (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/rollcall/rollcallsbyvotesummary.asp?legislativebody=H)

            > > Was there some other bill put forward on Friday that's not yet on
            > the
            > > NH House website?
            >
            > Fear not. How it happened was that the bill was on the 'Consent
            > Calendar' (stuff that isn't supposed to be controversial, all voted
            > on
            > together, all up or all down) as 'ITL' ('Inexpedient To Legislate').
            > First it had to be pulled off the Consent Calendar so it could be
            > addressed separately. Then 'ITL' had to be voted on. It failed ("No,
            > we
            > disagree that it's inexpedient to legislate") by the margin you cite.
            >
            > Then it was moved 'OTP' ('Ought To Pass'), and another vote was taken
            > on
            > _that_ motion. It passed resoundingly, and is off to the Senate.
            > --
            >
            > --= Ya can't blame me: I vote for liberty. =--
            > BikerBill=- ©¿©¬
            > allemanse.com=-
            > --= Proud Member - Reality-Based Community =--
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Mike Lorrey
            President, Lorrey Aerospace
            http://www.lorrey.biz