Re: [FSP] Advice to movers...and those seeking 'help'.

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
      Depends on your tolerance for risk. I have moved many times in my
      life, but never without having a job lined up. Other people are
      willing to trust that it will work out. I think we should leave
      that decision up to the individual, but make clear to people what
      the FSP *will* provide, what the FSP (or rather other organizations
      and volunteers) *might* provide , and what the FSP *will not*
      provide. Over time, I hope that our relocation infrastructure will
      grow.

      Just a few days ago I received one of these requests for relocation
      help (sure, come sleep in my Moscow apartment's stairwell along with
      the other alcoholic and drug-using homeless people), and I referred
      the person to the Local Groups and Welcome Wagon pages.

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Morey Straus"
      <morey.straus@...> wrote:

      > Jane,
      >
      > I agree with you except for the last bit. Depending on your
      skills, it can
      > be very difficult to land a job while living out of state. When
      talking to
      > single people, I always suggest getting into a temporary situation
      (i.e.
      > take the first job you can find, and rent a room) to survive while
      seeking
      > out a more long term job and/or home.
      >
      > -Morey
      >
      > On 2/19/06, Jane <jane@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I want to call attention to the fact that some individuals who
      live
      > > in NH have been contacted by various people with various
      problems who
      > > have seen their names/emails on various forums, asking if there
      > > really is a movement and if someone can 'help' them come here...
      > >
      > > Aside from cautioning the folks who are here about these kinds of
      > > messages sent out of the blue to individuals, I suggest they send
      > > this information back to those inquiring:
      > >
      > > Yes, there is indeed a strong political 'movement' here
      comprising of
      > > most of the FSPers who have moved, and natives and people who
      are not
      > > natives but came here before the movement was 'named', but
      basically
      > > for the same reasons. We all work on the political things
      together.

      > > We also have many social contacts so we are never lonely. You
      can get
      > > rides to meetings until you get your own car, for example, by
      others
      > > who are going, as we all know each other and keep track of
      things by
      > > way of the www.nhlibertycalendar.org listings of events.
      > >
      > > People care if you are sick or well, since if you live alone,
      they
      > > would check up on you if they did not hear from you in a while.
      So we
      > > are a cohesive bunch in that sense.
      > >
      > > But as far as work and housing goes, plan to come here and find
      work
      > > on your own. This responsibility is up to each of us. There are
      the
      > > usual state programs that might POINT you to the right places to
      LOOK
      > > for work/training, and the unemployment rate is not too bad
      here, and
      > > we can point you to other resources such as newspapers and
      mailing
      > > lists, but that's about it.
      > >
      > > There is no place to live indefinitely if you cannot pay your
      rent on
      > > your own, although someone might be willing to put you up for a
      week
      > > or so while you visit and explore the possibilities.
      > >
      > > As I said, you will have 100% political and social support but
      it is
      > > my opinion that you need to find a job and housing BEFORE you
      land
      > > here permanently...for best results...unless you already support
      > > yourself without a job.

      t=ms&k=Project+portfolio+management&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w
      2=Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+manage
      ment&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&
      s=179&.sig=nt086nbM-y5d5115mLe4ow> Project
      > > accounting<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Project+accounting&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=Project+
      accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+management&w5=Pr
      oject+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=179&.sig
      =ZzMwQD8Rm6uPkdwFyHfZaA> Project
      > > management training<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Project+management+training&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2
      =Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+managem
      ent&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s
      =179&.sig=HSDWnD9yiC8pTCjbQ6B7sw> Project
      > > management<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Project+management&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=Project+
      accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+management&w5=Pr
      oject+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=179&.sig
      =Jt1I8QHPjCH3RtTw4WBwgg> Project
      > > management schools<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Project+management+schools&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=
      Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+manageme
      nt&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=
      179&.sig=cxbhVqulhah2mVzj44osjg> Project
      > > management schools<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Project+management+schools&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=
      Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+manageme
      nt&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=
      179&.sig=cxbhVqulhah2mVzj44osjg>
      t>"

      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<freestateproject-