Re: [FSP] Advice to movers...and those seeking 'help'.

  • Morey Straus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2006
      Jane,

      I agree with you except for the last bit. Depending on your skills, it can
      be very difficult to land a job while living out of state. When talking to
      single people, I always suggest getting into a temporary situation (i.e.
      take the first job you can find, and rent a room) to survive while seeking
      out a more long term job and/or home.

      -Morey

      --
      Live Free or Die
      www.FreeStateProject.org

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
        Depends on your tolerance for risk. I have moved many times in my
        life, but never without having a job lined up. Other people are
        willing to trust that it will work out. I think we should leave
        that decision up to the individual, but make clear to people what
        the FSP *will* provide, what the FSP (or rather other organizations
        and volunteers) *might* provide , and what the FSP *will not*
        provide. Over time, I hope that our relocation infrastructure will
        grow.

        Just a few days ago I received one of these requests for relocation
        help (sure, come sleep in my Moscow apartment's stairwell along with
        the other alcoholic and drug-using homeless people), and I referred
        the person to the Local Groups and Welcome Wagon pages.

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Morey Straus"
        <morey.straus@...> wrote:

> [...]
        mailing
        > > lists, but that's about it.
        > >
        > > There is no place to live indefinitely if you cannot pay your
        rent on
        > > your own, although someone might be willing to put you up for a
        week
        > > or so while you visit and explore the possibilities.
        > >
        > > As I said, you will have 100% political and social support but
        it is
        > > my opinion that you need to find a job and housing BEFORE you
        land
        > > here permanently...for best results...unless you already support
        > > yourself without a job.

        t=ms&k=Project+portfolio+management&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w
        2=Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+manage
        ment&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&
        s=179&.sig=nt086nbM-y5d5115mLe4ow> Project
        t=ms&k=Project+accounting&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=Project+
        accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+management&w5=Pr
        oject+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=179&.sig
        =ZzMwQD8Rm6uPkdwFyHfZaA> Project
        > > management training<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Project+management+training&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2
        =Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+managem
        ent&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s
        =179&.sig=HSDWnD9yiC8pTCjbQ6B7sw> Project
        > > management<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Project+management&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=Project+
        accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+management&w5=Pr
        oject+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=179&.sig
        =Jt1I8QHPjCH3RtTw4WBwgg> Project
        > > management schools<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Project+management+schools&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=
        Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+manageme
        nt&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=
        179&.sig=cxbhVqulhah2mVzj44osjg> Project
        > > management schools<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Project+management+schools&w1=Project+portfolio+management&w2=
        Project+accounting&w3=Project+management+training&w4=Project+manageme
        nt&w5=Project+management+schools&w6=Project+management+schools&c=6&s=
        179&.sig=cxbhVqulhah2mVzj44osjg>
        t>"

        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<freestateproject-