Re: [FSP] Digest Number 1230

  • Rich Tomasso
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      > From: Ryan Gray <ryanpatgray@...>
      > Subject: IRV in NH???
      >
      > Hi, I have a two-part question about the goings on in
      > New Hampshire. 1. Is there an active IRV movement in
      > New Hampshire and 2. Would an amendment to the New
      > Hampshire constitution be necessary to institute IRV?

      1. Yes, but it is small. Local activist Zo Tobi has been making
      presentations with it after working with the center for voting and
      democracy. Gave a great presentation at the 3PNC in October.

      2. I don't think so. All IRV does is establish a way to get to a majority
      vote. A locality could institute it with an ordinance or warrant for local
      offices. State election law could handle the rest of the races. IRV has
      come up sometimes in election law and judiciary hearings as a solution,
      but the idea doesn't have any legs yet in the general court.

      Promote Liberty in New Hampshire!
      http://www.nhliberty.org

      http://mail.yahoo.com