RE: "deadline", moving independently

  • Phil Boncer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
      A problem with some previous efforts of this kind was that a few people
      would move, but not enough to make a significant difference, and those
      people then wind up stranded in a place they might never have moved to,
      without having had the desired effect. The FSP was structured to avoid
      this by not asking people to move until and unless we had enough people
      agreed to do so to be an effective faction for freedom.

      The informal "deadline" came about because some signers were wondering
      about how open-ended their commitment was to be. Some were reluctant
      to sign agreeing to move when the 20,000 was reached, without any idea
      of when that might be, and didn't want to wind up spending years
      carefully not putting down roots anywhere else waiting for something
      that might never happen. At that time, four years ago, it seemed
      reasonable to say that we expected five years to be enough to either
      make it happen, or make it obvious that it wasn't going to happen.
      Instead, we've managed to achieve a middling result, not big enough to
      be where we wanted to be, but not small enough to give up on.

      Obviously, we never discouraged anyone who wanted to move sooner, or
      later, or additionally, or whatever. But the point of the project was
      to specifically gather enough liberty-minded people there to really
      be an effective voice, so that was how the FSP was structured and
      promoted. The 20,000 was always viewed as a minimum, and of course
      anyone who wanted to help, during or after, was welcome.

      Yes, you've got quite a good network and infrastructure of freedom
      lovers in NH already, which was one of the reasons that NH won the
      vote. It certainly was a major factor in my and my fiancee's votes
      for the state, as well as in our decision to move after our wedding
      next year regardless of how well the FSP is doing. If nothing ever
      changes there, freedom-wise, it'll still be a big improvement on CA
      where we are now. But for those coming from other reasonably free
      states, that's a big effort for no advantage if they can't count on
      enough others coming to build a real much more free state.

      You haven't yet got a big enough network to win the whole state over
      to real freedom. The FSP is intended to facilitate that as a real
      possibility, and is intended to import enough real freedom lovers to
      make that happen, which was calculated as being roughly 20,000. So
      that's what we're trying to do.

      I hope this has helped you to understand better what we're doing and
      why.

      PhilB

      Jane <jane@...> wrote:
      Subject: Re: In case anybody wants to correct their misleading slant

      It seems kind of silly to have a deadline, I mean, if someone wants
      to move here after that are you going to say no, don't come?

      The goal should have been to get people to move here, period. There
      should not have been a deadline involved where people had to sign a
      committment. But hey, what do I know. I already moved here in 1989
      because I was fed up with Massachusetts and have been struggling to
      fight the influx of certain 'foreigners' who've ravaged Bedford.

      and ...

      On Nov 2, 2005, at 4:33 PM, Chris Lawless wrote:
      > Many of the 6800 who signed up won't make the move
      > until the FSP gets 20K.

      Why is that? I really did not think that their moving depended on
      whether others came or not since we already have quite a network
      here...as witnessed by the nhlibertycalendar.org listings, the
      regional Porcs, the NHLA, the CNHT, the LPHN and the RLCNH etc and
      all the other groups you see on the calendar front page. :-)
    • Jane
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
        On Nov 3, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Phil Boncer wrote:

        > A problem with some previous efforts of this kind was that a few
        > people
        > would move, but not enough to make a significant difference, and those
        > people then wind up stranded in a place they might never have moved
        > to,
        > without having had the desired effect. The FSP was structured to
        > avoid
        > this by not asking people to move until and unless we had enough
        > people
        > agreed to do so to be an effective faction for freedom.

        I don't feel stranded. I'm currently broadcasting this radio show to
        people all over the US and I feel supported by many people here in NH.

        NH is way too tight a community to ever feel 'stranded'.