Re: [FSP] Digest Number 1169

  • Mary Albenzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2005
      Hello ... First of all, please forgive me if I didn't post this the correct way ... I have not done this before, so I'm not sure of what to do.

      I did want to respond though, to the celebrity idea of exposure for our group ... My Husband and I live in San Diego, and we went to several LA meetings. I did suggest the celebrity idea and as fate would (or wouldn't) have it, I shortly thereafter met Drew Carey. I had found out that he was Libertarian and asked him about it, but I must have come across as trying to sell him something because I mentioned the Free State Project and he pretty much stopped talking to me. He wasn't being rude or anything, just highly NOT interested. Granted, that is just ONE celebrity, but I was disappointed in that I had this great idea and it seemed to have failed.

      But if any of you could get that sort of exposure (by having contacts), I always thought that was a great idea. I read PEOPLE magazine, and there is always some new trend of T-shirt that has a cute or meaningful saying. Anyway, just thought I'd put my experience in here.

      Cat Albenzi

      freestateproject@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Ideas for recruitment
      From: "Derek Williams"
      2. Re: Ideas for recruitment
      From: "lloydbob1"
      3. Re: Re: Ideas for recruitment
      From: Ron Helwig
      4. Re: Re: Ideas for recruitment
      From: "Philip L. Welch"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:17:41 -0000
      From: "Derek Williams"
      Subject: Ideas for recruitment

      Hi group. I was just thinking today of ways to recruit more
      members, and get more publicity for our cause. 2 things stuck out
      in my mind.

      One is to find celebrities (especially those that would appeal to
      college age students) who support our cause and get one (or more) of
      them to wear a Free State Project T-shirt on TV. I was thinking,
      what if some very popular pro wrestler (such as John Cena, current
      WWE champion) wore a FSP T-shirt out to the ring on TV on Monday
      Night Raw one night? If Vince McMahon will not allow this in WWE
      (as most of his stars wear T shirts with their own logos on them to
      the ring), then how about other pro wrestlers, like in Ring Of Honor
      (a NJ promotion), UPW (a california promotion), or even on NWA-TNA
      (a FL promotion, but is aired on prime time cable TV now on Spike
      TV, starting this week.) How about, even if a WWE star couldn't
      wear the T-shirt on the televised wrestling show, what if he wore it
      out in public and was seen by many fans?

      I hear that Woody Harrelson is a Libertarian. Clint Eastwood is
      too. Jesse Ventura supposedly has Libertarian beliefs, even though
      he won the MN governor's job running as something else (independent
      or reform, I forgot which).

      I would think that if anyone were to be able to get hold of one of
      the wrestlers from NWA-TNA, and one of their stars supported the FSP
      cause and ideals, they might would wear a FSP T shirt out to the
      ring one night on cable TV in front of millions of viewers. Many of
      these athletes are young and probably would support our cause.
      Maybe if someone sent them a letter and free T-shirt, with the
      letter inviting them to check out the FSP website, and telling them
      that if they like us and our ideas, to please help us out by wearing
      the T-shirt on TV or to public appearances like autograph signings,
      etc. I think that would get us a lot of exposure among the younger
      crowd, who would be more likely to really get into the Libertarian
      ideals. Some of these athletes have their own websites. Maybe
      these could be read and analyzed for a Libertarian slant in their
      ideas? Someone like that would be very likely to support us. But
      with their hectic travel schedules, they would be very unlikely to
      have ever heard of us, unless we sent them a letter.

      How about a (respectable) pro football player? Could you imagine if
      Tom Brady wore a FSP T-shirt on TV during a press conference or
      interview or public appearance??? That would be some extremely good
      exposure. How about if any FSP'ers were to be going to a televised
      wrestling taping or an NFL game, and they made a big sign with the
      FSP's URL or logo on it, and got it shown on nationwide TV?

      I have heard Chris Rock do concerts on TV before. He seems to have
      a lot of Libertarian beliefs, from what he has said onstage anyway.
      What if he got behind us and wore the T-shirt out in public?

      Bodybuilders (and other athletes) have been clamoring for steroid
      legalization for years. These athletes usually are not politically
      active however. But what if one of the top, very popular Pro
      Bodybuilders got behind our cause, and showed up at the Mr. Olympia
      contest with a FSP T-shirt on? Or better yet, became a very vocal
      FSP supporter? These athletes train very hard, generally don't
      bother anyone, but yet many of them have been targeted by the DEA
      and arrested, and embarrassed, at major competitions for using
      steroids, even though they are not hurting anyone (except
      themselves, if they abuse drugs long enough). I think that some of
      the more intelligent bodybuilders would get behind the FSP, heck, if
      bodybuilders thought steroids were going to be legalized in NH (even
      if by dr's prescription), they would ALL move to NH TOMORROW!

      These are just some ideas I had. It is generally not too hard at
      all to get in touch with professional bodybuilders. Many
      participate in online bodybuilding chat rooms. Some have their own
      Yahoo groups. They generally run websites, and even though they
      have fans and smaller "cult followings" they are not swarmed by mass
      media, the paparazzi, or the general public, so they are pretty
      approachable and easy to contact.

      I was just thinking that if one or more famous or at least semi-
      famous celebrities or athletes endorsed us, we would get our logo
      and name out in front of MILLIONS.

      Shannon Sharpe, back when he played for the Denver Broncos, used to
      wear EAS Sport supplements clothing and workout gear during all his
      interviews. The media soon started asking him about it. He was
      able to assure them that this stuff wasn't drugs, it was just good
      nutritional products, and now EAS is a gigantic company and is the
      official sports supplement company for the NFL. It is the only
      supplement company endorsed by the NFL. Sharpe, Elway, and a couple
      of other Denver players put EAS on the map back when they won those
      two super bowls back to back in the late 90's.

      I think that if the right celebrities began wearing our FSP T-shirts
      it could do the same for us as well. Maybe one would even plug us
      on an awards ceremony.

      A letter from the FSP sent to them, telling them a little about our
      project and how it could benefit them personally, how it could
      benefit America in general, and how we would like to invite them to
      our website to check it out, and asking them that if they like our
      ideas to please wear our T-shirt out around town and on camera if
      possible to help us get exposure. And ask them to let us know what
      they think of our project. Maybe even join if they feel strongly
      about it. Who knows, maybe if we send out 100 of them, and 2 or 3
      do it, that could be HUGE for exposure. They might even talk about
      it on camera.

      But I wouldn't send one to Terrell Owens or any other "troublemaker"
      athletes. We don't need that kind of embarrassment.

      I just know how young people idolize athletes and celebrities. If
      one superstar were to endorse our project, probably 90% or more of
      their young fans would check us out as well, possibly being the only
      introduction to Libertarian ideals that these young fans would ever
      have, leaving them with an extremely favorable impression of our
      project and Libertarian ideals in general.

      Just an idea, let me know what you all think.

      Derek

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:53:31 -0000
      From: "lloydbob1"
      Subject: Re: Ideas for recruitment

      This has been discussed before in the Forum and libertarian circles
      for years. Invaribly the celebrity, feet held to fire, turns out
      not to be a libertarian at all, or, like Doug Stanhope, they fall off
      the face of the earth.

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Derek Williams"

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Helwig
      Subject: Re: Re: Ideas for recruitment

      --- lloydbob1 wrote:
      > This has been discussed before in the Forum and libertarian circles
      > for years. Invaribly the celebrity, feet held to fire, turns out
      > not to be a libertarian at all,

      Like Jesse Ventura

      > or, like Doug Stanhope, they fall off
      > the face of the earth.

      Like Val Venis?

      Ron Helwig
      MN activist during the Ventura mis-administration
      103rd mover

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:54:03 -0700
      From: "Philip L. Welch"

      >> or, like Doug Stanhope, they fall off
      >> the face of the earth.
      >
      > Like Val Venis?

      I, for one, thought Doug Stanhope was already disqualified per "we
      don't need that kind of embarrassment."

      --
      Philip L. Welch
      http://philwelch.net/