Re: [RLCNH] RLC National Convention in New Hampshire next year?

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2005
      Dan McGuire wrote:

      > In deciding between Florida and New Hampshire, a big question is: What
      > time of year is it? November to April -> Florida, May to October ->
      > New Hampshire.

      It can be held at any time during the year. However, a logical
      time to have it would be in the summer months; this is because the kids
      are out of school and it's a traditional time to take vacations or time
      off from work.

      > How many attendees are expected?

      Varrin Swearingen attended the last RLC national convention in
      Fresno, California; there weren't that many people there. I figure the
      next one in 2006 would draw perhaps 50 to 70 RLCers from around the
      country (just a guess). If it were held in NH, that number could be
      boosted considerably if the FSP Porcupines came; by that time it might
      increase the number attending by 50 or 100, for a totall of between 100
      and 170 (these numbers might be overly optimistic...or they might not be).

      > For a three-day weekend?

      Perhaps. Or maybe only a two-day weekend. The actual RLC
      meeting stuff might take place over only a day or a day and a half,
      which would give people a chance to take tours through the Free State
      and meet Porcupines in different areas.

      > How much do they want to spend?

      Unknown. Probably not all that much as an organization, since
      the RLC is in the process of rebuilding. The individuals will vary, same
      as at the PorcFest, but it would be a little mini-boost to the local
      economy, like all conventions.

      > Manchester is the logical choice because of the airport, but if you
      > want something fancier, there are places like Bretton Woods and
      > Wentworth-by-the-Sea. If PorcFest is any guage, conventions should be
      > booked almost a year in advance.

      I figure Manchester would be the obvious place to hold it.
      Especially since it's cheap and easy to fly in.

      ----Tim Condon