Re: [FSP] Intentional Community in TN

  • John David Galt
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
      Rich Tomasso wrote:
      > I heard a report on NPR on Morning Edition about an intention community
      > called "The Farm" in Tennessee. Not quite our model but they've been going
      > for 20 some years. They have their own school, water towers, stores etc.
      > The heart of their model is joint ownership of the town, with a town
      > meeting to vote in important issues concerning the town. The idea seems to
      > be that everyone is a stakeholder in the success of the community.
      >
      > Sounds like it might be something we could perhaps learn from.

      They are a commune, not the kind of thing I think most libertarians
      would be interested in joining. However, they've been amazingly
      successful at coexisting with all the "straight" folk around them in
      the heart of the Bible Belt. If that relationship can be replicated,
      it would open the door to a wide variety of "enclave communities",
      some of which could be very libertarian. By all means I'd like to
      learn how they do it. Do they have any interest in teaching it?