Re: [FSP] Intentional Community in TN

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
      They have been around for a while, came out of the 'hippie' movement..

      On Aug 9, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Rich Tomasso wrote:

      > I heard a report on NPR on Morning Edition about an intention community
      > called "The Farm" in Tennessee. Not quite our model but they've been
      > going
      > for 20 some years. They have their own school, water towers, stores
      > etc.
      > The heart of their model is joint ownership of the town, with a town
      > meeting to vote in important issues concerning the town. The idea
      > seems to
      > be that everyone is a stakeholder in the success of the community.
      >
      > Sounds like it might be something we could perhaps learn from.
      >

      > Promote Liberty in New Hampshire!
      > http://www.nhliberty.org

      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • lloydbob1
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
        The Farm was/is an anti-capitalist spiritual commune formed around
        Charasmatic leader Stephen Gaskin. I don't know if gaskin is still
        living and/or still calling the shots. This group was early in the
        mass production of Tofu in the U.S.

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Jane <jane@n...> wrote:
        > They have been around for a while, came out of the 'hippie'
        movement..

        > On Aug 9, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Rich Tomasso wrote:
        >
        > > I heard a report on NPR on Morning Edition about an intention
        community
        > > called "The Farm" in Tennessee. Not quite our model but they've
        been
        > > going
        > > for 20 some years. They have their own school, water towers,
        stores
        > > etc.
        > > The heart of their model is joint ownership of the town, with a
        town
        > > meeting to vote in important issues concerning the town. The
        idea
        > > seems to
        > > be that everyone is a stakeholder in the success of the community.
        > >
        > > Sounds like it might be something we could perhaps learn from.
        > >

        > > Promote Liberty in New Hampshire!
        > > http://www.nhliberty.org

        > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John David Galt
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2005
          Rich Tomasso wrote:
          > I heard a report on NPR on Morning Edition about an intention community
          > called "The Farm" in Tennessee. Not quite our model but they've been going
          > for 20 some years. They have their own school, water towers, stores etc.
          > The heart of their model is joint ownership of the town, with a town
          > meeting to vote in important issues concerning the town. The idea seems to
          > be that everyone is a stakeholder in the success of the community.
          >
          > Sounds like it might be something we could perhaps learn from.

          They are a commune, not the kind of thing I think most libertarians
          would be interested in joining. However, they've been amazingly
          successful at coexisting with all the "straight" folk around them in
          the heart of the Bible Belt. If that relationship can be replicated,
          it would open the door to a wide variety of "enclave communities",
          some of which could be very libertarian. By all means I'd like to
          learn how they do it. Do they have any interest in teaching it?