New Thoughts RE Porkfest

  • lloydbob1
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
      I've been thinking about proposed changes in the location and duration
      of Porkfest 2006.
      Many of the people I spent the whole week with at both Porkfests
      came quite a distance to attend. These people are, essentially, our
      guests, and, they are the ones who put out the most in order to attend.
      These are the people we should ask about whether the location and
      duration was a bother.
      Many, drove or rented a car. As they were already coming to rogers,
      extending their vacation a day ot two would allow them to visit any
      location in NH they were interested in. They don't need a guide, and,
      to leave Lancaster on a specified day. People wishing to show their
      town could bring a video tape and we could hold question/answer
      sessions without leaving Rogers.
      If we hold it either out of or on the edges of the season, we should
      get a better deal from Rogers.
      The onus should be put on the NHLA to find a place closer to Rogers
      to hold the dinner.
      Lloyd
    • Jane
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8, 2005
        I agree with Lloyd.
        NHLA dinner could have been on the way out on Sunday noon or something,
        then I would have been able to attend on the way home.
        Trips to see prospective towns in which to settle could be before or
        after the stay...
        I can't think of a better place than Roger's for variety of sites,
        hotel on site, and space.
        If I'm going to take a week to be on vacation I want it far away from
        where I live!

        On Aug 7, 2005, at 4:14 PM, lloydbob1 wrote:

        > I've been thinking about proposed changes in the location and duration
        > of Porkfest 2006.
        > Many of the people I spent the whole week with at both Porkfests
        > came quite a distance to attend. These people are, essentially, our
        > guests, and, they are the ones who put out the most in order to attend.
        > These are the people we should ask about whether the location and
        > duration was a bother.
        > Many, drove or rented a car. As they were already coming to rogers,
        > extending their vacation a day ot two would allow them to visit any
        > location in NH they were interested in. They don't need a guide, and,
        > to leave Lancaster on a specified day. People wishing to show their
        > town could bring a video tape and we could hold question/answer
        > sessions without leaving Rogers.
        > If we hold it either out of or on the edges of the season, we should
        > get a better deal from Rogers.
        > The onus should be put on the NHLA to find a place closer to Rogers
        > to hold the dinner.
        > Lloyd
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • lloydbob1
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
          Jane's suggestion of having the NHLA dinner on the Sunday following
          Porkfest is a stroke of genius! Combine this with loosing the
          scheduled visiting of towns, leaving it to the individuals, all of
          the problems with Rogers are solved.

        • Jane
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2005
            On Aug 9, 2005, at 3:01 PM, lloydbob1 wrote:

            > Jane's suggestion of having the NHLA dinner on the Sunday following
            > Porkfest is a stroke of genius! Combine this with loosing the
            > scheduled visiting of towns, leaving it to the individuals, all of
            > the problems with Rogers are solved.

            Hey Keith, what do you think about that?

            Yes, Lloyd then we could truly have a 'rest', and have time and energy
            to pack up and head home since Plymouth is nearer to where most live.
            It could even be at 4 PM for drinks first or even later, giving us
            plenty of time to SLEEP too. Out-of-staters would be heading SOUTH to
            the airport in Concord or Manchester anyway! Even just packing up my
            room without having anywhere to go was a daunting task on the last day.
            (You know how it always is that the car gets packed to the hilt on the
            way up, but then you can't seem to get it all back in on the way home?
            LOL)

            Day trips are not really the responsibility of the FSP -- people can do
            those when and where they want, before, after, or during. They could
            hook up with people who wish to give tours in the individual towns and
            cities they wish to see. This could be arranged ahead of time via email
            and the forums. People giving tours don't even need to BE at PorcFest
            itself...but just be there to host the touring families.

            I vote for Roger's again, otherwise, what's the point of my going
            'away' if it's 30-60 miles from me and someplace I see all the time?

            Also I'd like to see an organized hospitality cabin permanently set up
            at the front, (with LloydBob's canopy over the tables) where we could
            meet and greet newcomers to the Fest each night and share food/grilling
            or not. (They could rent a long grille like they use at BBQs for the
            public) Let Dawn and Bill or whoever is doing the check-in, be at peace
            at a different cabin, but right next to the hospitality cabin. They
            must have been overwhelmed and didn't need to play food hosts as well!
            (Although they never complained)

            Where else but Roger's has all this stuff where we can set up?
            Then you've got your campsites, primitive or otherwise and a hotel
            right on the premises...well, more than that you cannot ask for.

            Sure the food stinks in the cafe, but there is Dunkin's for breakfast
            and good coffee and Shaw's/Liquor store for the rest of the food
            downtown and even a few restaurants for those who want a night out. I
            even brewed my own Dunkin's coffee in my room so I could have it right
            away.

            And yes, I ate like a piggie that week, but it's PorcFest with a 'c'
            ... LOL!
            Back to dieting again. :-)
          • Hardy Machia
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
              Lloyd wrote:
              >Jane's suggestion of having the NHLA dinner on the Sunday following
              >Porkfest is a stroke of genius! Combine this with loosing the
              >scheduled visiting of towns, leaving it to the individuals, all of
              >the problems with Rogers are solved.

              I don't see how this helps anything from NHLA's point of view. If
              they have it on the last Sunday then people will be leaving the
              PorcFest Sunday morning to get home for work on Monday. There were
              some people that left Saturday afternoon this year so they could get
              home for work on Monday.

              Maybe having the NHLA dinner the first Saturday of Porc Fest then the
              people that are there for the whole week have something to do the
              first weekend.

              I don't see the big deal with having it on Saturday night of the last
              weekend. So we miss the circle of light? We were able to get back in
              time for it this year and it continued for another couple hours.

              Hardy

              Hardy Machia * Catamount Software * Liberty in our lifetime
              802-372-9512 * www.catamount.com * www.freestateproject.org
            • Thomas Tuathal Simmons
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
                At the risk of being shot, since I attended neither Porcfest nor the
                dinner....

                Has anyone seriously considered *not* holding them even remotely close
                together? Such as Porcfest in August and NHLA Dinner in Spring? (or around
                the Primary :-) :-) :-) ???? )

                It would certainlky make it a little easier for folks to 'balance' their New
                Hampshire interests rather than squeezing it into three days....

                Thom

                >Jane's suggestion of having the NHLA dinner on the Sunday following
                >Porkfest is a stroke of genius! Combine this with loosing the
                >scheduled visiting of towns, leaving it to the individuals, all of
                >the problems with Rogers are solved.

                I don't see how this helps anything from NHLA's point of view. If
                they have it on the last Sunday then people will be leaving the
                PorcFest Sunday morning to get home for work on Monday. There were
                some people that left Saturday afternoon this year so they could get
                home for work on Monday.

                Maybe having the NHLA dinner the first Saturday of Porc Fest then the
                people that are there for the whole week have something to do the
                first weekend.

                I don't see the big deal with having it on Saturday night of the last
                weekend. So we miss the circle of light? We were able to get back in
                time for it this year and it continued for another couple hours.

                Hardy

                __

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
                  Its the circle of Liberty, Hardy. I understand what you are saying
                  about Sunday afternoon, but, if people are leaving as early as
                  Saturday to get home, than the're not going to the dinner anyway.
                  This first Saturday sounds good to me, but, the NHLA won't go along
                  with it because the Porkfest will not have attracted enough people by
                  the first Saturday to make the Dinner a success. That is the key to
                  this discussion. The Porkfest attracts people to attend the dinner,
                  not, the other way around. Either Thursday or Friday night would be a
                  good compromise. Saturday night is more important to the people who,
                  actually, attend Porkfest than the NHLA dinner.

                  --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Hardy Machia <hardy2@c...>

                  ________
                  > Hardy Machia * Catamount Software * Liberty in our
                  lifetime
                  > 802-372-9512 * www.catamount.com *
                  www.freestateproject.org
                • Keith Murphy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 10, 2005
                    From my perspective, it would be ideal for the Porc Fest organizers to
                    split their speaker schedule between Friday and Saturday, finishing up
                    at 3 pm Saturday afternoon. That would let me start the Liberty Dinner
                    earlier next year, say, at about 5 pm, and finish up about 8 pm. That
                    would be plenty of time to get back to Lancaster for a last night of
                    socializing.

                    Boom, all problems solved.

                    Again, I'm more than happy to tweak the dinner schedule to avoid
                    conflict to whatever extent is possible. The reason this year's dinner
                    started so late was to avoid conflict with the last FSP speaker.

                    Yes, Lloyd, I acknowledge that people will not come to northern NH to
                    camp for a week for a three-hour dinner, but they will do it for a week
                    of socializing, music, and beer with other libertarians. You're right,
                    that's why the dinner must be held at the exact time that will optimize
                    attendance. Restoring the dinner to it's originally planned Saturday
                    time slot bumped attendance from 135 to 170. The dinner is simply one
                    more option on the smorgasboard of options for Porc Fest attendees to
                    choose from. They're free to attend the dinner, or to stay for the
                    circle of liberty in Lancaster.

                    I don't see anything wrong with giving people multiple options. It's
                    the free market at work -- what are all the complaints about?

                    Wait till you see who I'm trying to get for next year. They'll be
                    scalping the tickets outside the front door. (wink)

                    On Aug 10, 2005, at 4:19 PM, lloydbob1 wrote:

                    > Its the circle of Liberty, Hardy. I understand what you are saying
                    > about Sunday afternoon, but, if people are leaving as early as
                    > Saturday to get home, than the're not going to the dinner anyway.
                    > This first Saturday sounds good to me, but, the NHLA won't go along
                    > with it because the Porkfest will not have attracted enough people by
                    > the first Saturday to make the Dinner a success. That is the key to
                    > this discussion. The Porkfest attracts people to attend the dinner,
                    > not, the other way around. Either Thursday or Friday night would be a
                    > good compromise. Saturday night is more important to the people who,
                    > actually, attend Porkfest than the NHLA dinner.
                  • Alan Robert Weiss
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
                      Thomas Tuathal Simmons wrote:

                      >At the risk of being shot, since I attended neither Porcfest nor the
                      >dinner....
                      >
                      >Has anyone seriously considered *not* holding them even remotely close
                      >together? Such as Porcfest in August and NHLA Dinner in Spring? (or around
                      >the Primary :-) :-) :-) ???? )
                      >
                      >It would certainlky make it a little easier for folks to 'balance' their New
                      >Hampshire interests rather than squeezing it into three days....
                      >
                      >Thom

                      If you don't want out-of-state members of the NHLA (who pay dues and who
                      might be contributors of funds now, and labor/talent in the future),
                      that's fine.

                      It cost me thousands and thousands of FRN's (dollars) for myself and my
                      family to attend PorcFest this year. I daresay that making two trips to
                      NH a year is an additional burden.

                      At the risk of me being drawn and quartered, I did not attend the NHLA
                      dinner this year (because the family declined Unanimous Consent and
                      wanted to do other things), but because I was at PorcFest I re-joined
                      and paid dues again. It was the availability of the dinner that I
                      appreciated. I bought hats and other agit-prop tools.

                      Look, it seems to me and others that the NHLA would be the "natural
                      landing zone" for emigrating Porcupines as the in-gathering occurs, but
                      if the NHLA wants to limit itself to existing NH residents, and not make
                      accomidations with out of state members or supporters, it will never
                      reach its potential. We will turn elsewhere. That is simply an
                      observation. Your choice, folks.

                      Having it associated with at least one other major event (PorcFest, or
                      Freedom Summit) makes it much more likely to attend.

                      Alan R. Weiss

                      --
                      Alan R. Weiss
                      CEO, EEMBC Certification Laboratories and Synchromesh Computing

                      ECL: http://www.ebenchmarks.com EEMBC: http://www.eembc.org
                      Synchromesh Computing: http://www.synchromeshcomputing.com
                    • Jean Alexander
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
                        On Aug 11, 2005, at 1:56 AM, Keith Murphy wrote:

                        > Restoring the dinner to it's originally planned Saturday
                        > time slot bumped attendance from 135 to 170.

                        Is the bump not at all credited to the fact that the PF was simply
                        bigger this year? How much do you think was related to the day of the
                        dinner and how much to a larger pool of potential attendees?

                        Jean
                      • Brian Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 11, 2005
                          Starting earlier sounds good. I'll make the trek, but please arrange for
                          the college to leave the air conditioning on for the duration of the
                          dinner - it was very uncomfortable for many of us. And, there was no more
                          water for the last 60-90 minutes.

                          Brian Sullivan

                          From my perspective, it would be ideal for the Porc Fest organizers to
                          split their speaker schedule between Friday and Saturday, finishing up
                          at 3 pm Saturday afternoon. That would let me start the Liberty Dinner
                          earlier next year, say, at about 5 pm, and finish up about 8 pm. That
                          would be plenty of time to get back to Lancaster for a last night of
                          socializing.

                          Boom, all problems solved.

                          Again, I'm more than happy to tweak the dinner schedule to avoid
                          conflict to whatever extent is possible. The reason this year's dinner
                          started so late was to avoid conflict with the last FSP speaker.

                          Yes, Lloyd, I acknowledge that people will not come to northern NH to
                          camp for a week for a three-hour dinner, but they will do it for a week
                          of socializing, music, and beer with other libertarians. You're right,
                          that's why the dinner must be held at the exact time that will optimize
                          attendance. Restoring the dinner to it's originally planned Saturday
                          time slot bumped attendance from 135 to 170. The dinner is simply one
                          more option on the smorgasboard of options for Porc Fest attendees to
                          choose from. They're free to attend the dinner, or to stay for the
                          circle of liberty in Lancaster.

                          I don't see anything wrong with giving people multiple options. It's
                          the free market at work -- what are all the complaints about?

                          Wait till you see who I'm trying to get for next year. They'll be
                          scalping the tickets outside the front door. (wink)

                          On Aug 10, 2005, at 4:19 PM, lloydbob1 wrote:

                          > Its the circle of Liberty, Hardy. I understand what you are saying
                          > about Sunday afternoon, but, if people are leaving as early as
                          > Saturday to get home, than the're not going to the dinner anyway.
                          > This first Saturday sounds good to me, but, the NHLA won't go along
                          > with it because the Porkfest will not have attracted enough people by
                          > the first Saturday to make the Dinner a success. That is the key to
                          > this discussion. The Porkfest attracts people to attend the dinner,
                          > not, the other way around. Either Thursday or Friday night would be a
                          > good compromise. Saturday night is more important to the people who,
                          > actually, attend Porkfest than the NHLA dinner.

                          Politics
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Politics&w1=Politics&w2=Government&w3=A
                          merican+politics&c=3&s=53&.sig=u68Im0gBlcTVtjEa9VaT9Q>
                          Government
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Government&w1=Politics&w2=Government&w3
                          =American+politics&c=3&s=53&.sig=oyHwGsPIiwyQVqPWgHUcbg>
                          American politics
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=American+politics&w1=Politics&w2=Govern
                          ment&w3=American+politics&c=3&s=53&.sig=8XwmwreevCrljKSxkNbROQ>

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group " freestateproject
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freestateproject> " on the web.

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          _____

                        • Joel
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 12, 2005
                            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Jean Alexander
                            <jeanius2@m...> wrote:
                            > > On Aug 11, 2005, at 1:56 AM, Keith Murphy wrote:
                            > > > Restoring the dinner to it's originally planned Saturday
                            > > time slot bumped attendance from 135 to 170.
                            >
                            > Is the bump not at all credited to the fact that the PF was simply
                            > bigger this year? How much do you think was related to the day of
                            > the dinner and how much to a larger pool of potential attendees?

                            A 25% increase in attendence is impressive. But, like Jean, I don't
                            think all of that was simply because of the day of the week. For
                            example, isn't NHLA membership up over that 1 year's time? And there
                            were more awards given out this year as well. Those must have
                            contributed to the increase as well.

                            Joel
                          • Joel
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 12, 2005
                              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Keith Murphy
                              <keithrmurphy@c...> wrote:
                              > From my perspective, it would be ideal for the Porc Fest
                              > organizers to split their speaker schedule between Friday and
                              > Saturday, finishing up at 3 pm Saturday afternoon.... Boom, all
                              > problems solved.

                              From your perspective, that would be ideal. But what about the
                              people who are not attending the dinner? The last Saturday has been
                              the BUSIEST day of Porc Fest the last few years. This year, there
                              were a dozen in-state Porcs who drove up for that one day. By
                              cutting off all Porc Fest activities in the early afternoon, you may
                              discourage NH residents from attending even the Porc Fest, as well
                              as make other Porcs feel like they are left out of things if they
                              don't buy a ticket to the LD.

                              All this assumes that conditions in 2006 will be exactly the same as
                              in 2005. If they do in fact repeat, Amy and I will not leave the
                              busiest day of Porc Fest to drive to Plymouth for the Liberty
                              Dinner. Keith, you throw a hell of a dinner. But for us, the
                              inconvience will make the cost of a ticket too high.

                              Joel

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 12, 2005
                                OK, let me say this one more time.

                                I only care about one thing: making the attendance for the Liberty
                                Dinner the highest it can possibly be.

                                That's it.

                                Nothing else.

                                I only care about Porc Fest scheduling, and the people who choose not
                                to attend the dinner (choice being the operative word) to the extent
                                that these factors interact with the dinner attendance. I don't really
                                care about the Porc Fest drive, location, schedule, speakers, or
                                anything else except for how they impact attendance. I realize I may
                                lose a few people next year who decide to stay in Lancaster, but I
                                could reasonably expect to lose 40-odd native NH residents if I
                                switched to Friday.

                                We can't have the dinner Friday night without severely impacting the
                                attendance from natives who are not staying up at Lancaster, and I
                                can't have it Sunday without severely impacting the attendance from
                                visiting FSP members. I have yet to hear a compelling argument for a
                                time slot other than Saturday evening -- at least one not based on the
                                personal interests of a few. I must overlook the interests of a few
                                and do what is best for the entire NHLA, and that means Saturday
                                evening.

                                Joel, I'm sorry that the drive to Lancaster is long, but I have no
                                control over the basic laws of geography and physics. If you choose
                                not to attend the dinner (there's that word again) due to timing or
                                distance concerns, then I respect your decision.

                                On Aug 12, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Joel wrote:

                                > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Keith Murphy
                                > <keithrmurphy@c...> wrote:
                                >> From my perspective, it would be ideal for the Porc Fest
                                >> organizers to split their speaker schedule between Friday and
                                >> Saturday, finishing up at 3 pm Saturday afternoon.... Boom, all
                                >> problems solved.
                                >
                                > From your perspective, that would be ideal.

                                From the perspective of the NHLA's bank account and political power
                                base, as well.

                                > But what about the
                                > people who are not attending the dinner?

                                Why would I care about people that are not attending the dinner? I'm
                                not working for them.

                                > The last Saturday has been
                                > the BUSIEST day of Porc Fest the last few years.

                                Yes, and the Liberty Dinner is just one more thing on the smorgasboard
                                for them to consider. Come, or don't. It's up to each individual.
                                It's not as if the FSP has a copyright on Saturday night. Other
                                completely distinct organizations have an equal right to schedule
                                events for that evening, if it suits them. Look at it this way: next
                                year's Porc Fest organizers have a full year's notice that the Liberty
                                Dinner will be held on the second Saturday evening, likely between 5 pm
                                and 8 pm. Maybe the organizers will take that into consideration.
                                That's up to them.

                                Tell you what -- if 150 people email me that they will come to the
                                Liberty Dinner if it is held on Friday evening next year, AND I can get
                                two great speakers for a Friday evening (assuredly harder to book than
                                a Saturday) I'll make the switch. Happily.

                                > This year, there
                                > were a dozen in-state Porcs who drove up for that one day. By
                                > cutting off all Porc Fest activities in the early afternoon, you may
                                > discourage NH residents from attending even the Porc Fest, as well
                                > as make other Porcs feel like they are left out of things if they
                                > don't buy a ticket to the LD.

                                1. In my opinion, anyone who doesn't buy a ticket to the Liberty
                                Dinner IS indeed missing a good event for a great cause. Although, to
                                be fair, some have said that they didn't go to the dinner and don't
                                regret their decision. Which is entirely their choice, and one that I
                                respect.

                                2. Hope this doesn't sound harsh, but I don't care about the impact on
                                Porc Fest. I don't work for the FSP, I work for the NHLA. Usually
                                what's good for one is good for both, and that's just great. In this
                                instance that's not the case. I'm not going to do something wrong for
                                the NHLA, and I don't expect the Porc Fest organizers to do wrong by
                                the FSP.

                                > All this assumes that conditions in 2006 will be exactly the same as
                                > in 2005. If they do in fact repeat, Amy and I will not leave the
                                > busiest day of Porc Fest to drive to Plymouth for the Liberty
                                > Dinner. Keith, you throw a hell of a dinner. But for us, the
                                > inconvience will make the cost of a ticket too high.

                                Again, I will be thrilled to work with the 2006 Porc Fest Czar to
                                minimize or eliminate conflict with the scheduled slate of speakers.
                                However, if that once again proves impossible, and people are forced to
                                choose between the Liberty Dinner and socializing at Porc Fest...

                                Well, I don't begrudge anyone that decision, yourself included. Hope
                                you can make it next year.
                              • redbeardsm@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 12, 2005
                                  I got WAY behind on my emails, and am just now catching up from the summer.

                                  I saw the title of this message and my first thought was "Porkfest? What does
                                  the "transportation" bill have to do with the FSP? Then I read the message
                                  and found out that Por"C"fest was the topic.

                                  Scott